Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lurkers

I personally love attending meets, fairs, conventions and other social events with fellow Transfans. In fact, my primary reason for attending these things isn't to buy/swap toys but just to be in the company of fellow fans. When it comes to collecting TFs, this is something that I can happily do on my own. Having contacts very helpful, but isn't absolutely essential. For me the main advantage of attending meets is for the social interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by d*r*j* View Post
    When I first joined up, Dirge, you were the most welcoming person on the forum. Haven't noticed you that much recently... must be down to you not actively collecting... maybe it's down to me not actively collecting(?)!
    Well, it's partly down to me not collecting, partly because I've stepped away from board staff reponsibilities (which means I don't need to read as many threads) and partly because I've met a significant other, so I'm spending less of my free time at home on my own

I dunno, I also enjoy the general things in the forum... these are the type of things that are general to most of the forums I post (or lurk) on. Of course it is enjoyable to hear people's view on things, especially when you have some idea of their individual personalities.
    Yeah I enjoy the discussions as well - even if I participate slightly less. TBH I don't read many of the sales posts, though I do follow sightings. I do enjoy seeing different POVs as well, and I must say yours is one which stands out quite a bit.

I have a lot of time for griffin. I worked a similar job to him, at a supermarket (Safeway) distribution centre, and know how demanding his employment is. He is generous with his knowledge and makes repeated efforts to be fair and even handed. It is just a shame that the actions of a few effect the way he is able to operate this website.
    Yeah I can back that up, having been a moderator here. It's not _what_ stance people take rather how they choose to present their stance here that causes friction. Case in point is your aversion to fan meets. You're clearly quite happy to let others enjoy them, and just steer clear - rather than try to impose your own POV on everyone else. That sort of tolerance to difference of opinion saves griffin (and co) a lot of work

As for the morals thing, it's not so much about what people do, but how/if they publicise it.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    Yeah I can't believe some people would try and save money. It's f***ing ridiculous.
    You self righteous bastard.

I CANT BELIEVE THAT YOU WOULD EVER CONSIDER TRYING TO SAVE MONEY YOU EVIL MAN. YOU SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO BUY A TOY AT SALE PRICE EVER AGAIN!!!

I cant belive you would even think of doing something so low, underhanded, improper, shady, downright evil, and most of all IMMORAL!!

Yeah I can't believe some people would try and save money. It's f***ing ridiculous.
    I do get the point, and I know d*r*j* phrased it kind of... pontifically... but joking aside though, surely there are both moral and amoral ways for us to save money. On a small scale, yesterday I ordered two pizzas, went down to the store to pick them up, left with them and it wasn't until I was halfway down the street that I realised that they hadn't asked me to pay for them. At that point, I could have kept walking and they'd continue to be none-the-wiser as I saved $14, or I could have done what I did and go back to the store and let them know the pizzas hadn't been paid for. (The pizza-people were kind of surprised that I went back and told them, actually.) Obviously that sort of thing and choosing to or not to exchange toys at a different store to the one you bought it from isn't the same scale as Nigerian bank scams, laundering money, burglary etc. Still, surely something that resembles scamming or pilfering is arguably unethical, regardless of how big or small the scale may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Obviously that sort of thing and choosing to or not to exchange toys at a different store to the one you bought it from isn't the same scale as Nigerian bank scams, laundering money, burglary etc. Still, surely something that resembles scamming or pilfering is arguably unethical, regardless of how big or small the scale may be.
    that nigerian was scamming me????
    he told me i was the cousin of the king and i had to pay a $1000 withdrawal fee for my inheritance..... :'(

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    that nigerian was scamming me????
    he told me i was the cousin of the king and i had to pay a $1000 withdrawal fee for my inheritance..... :'(

that same nigerian told me asians were originally from nigeria and that i was the next in line to be king! then he told me my fee was 100k because i was going to be a lot richer than the cousin of the current king...

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    ... but joking aside though, surely there are both moral and amoral ways for us to save money.
    Morality is purely subjective and what one person deems as moral righteousness should not be foisted upon anyone else.
    An actively religious man with syphillis eating holes in his grey matter may see the slaughter of sexually active post-pubescent girls as morally righteous.

Closer to home however, one might believe giant, transnational corporations to be the personification for the true evils of the world and any chance to strike a blow, no matter how small, against them to be the righteous duty of the truly free.

Morality is purely subjective and what one person deems as moral righteousness should not be foisted upon anyone else.
    Are you suggesting that I was foisting my desire to keep a hobby like toy collecting pure, of morally corrupt behavior, upon you? I was simply and obviously stating that I only participate to a certain level because of my own beliefs and judgements.

Closer to home however, one might believe giant, transnational corporations to be the personification for the true evils of the world and any chance to strike a blow, no matter how small, against them to be the righteous duty of the truly free.
    I guess it would give meaning to your thoughtless consumerism if you could dress it up in some kind of Robin Hood type romance?

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Are you suggesting that I was foisting my desire to keep a hobby like toy collecting pure, of morally corrupt behavior, upon you?
    Nah.

I guess it would give meaning to your thoughtless consumerism if you could dress it up in some kind of Robin Hood type romance?
    Exactly.

Topic closed due to unresolvable issues (as per the userguide).