Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Keeping TFs MISB no longer the best investment?

Well there's a complete waste of money then

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Unfortunately it can - even though the items are supposedly UV shielded, the reaction that is photodegradation can still occur.
    Rats well thats some to look out for all the AFA collectors out there!

Quote Originally Posted by 1orion2many View Post
    Well there's a complete waste of money then
    Agreed. I never thought that AFA grading was worth the money anyway. I have bought cases off of them - for US$20 each, only because I have run out of room in my display cabinet and it's the only way I can avoid them becoming dusty. The cases have a sliding bottom (unlike the graded ones) so the toy can be removed whenever you like.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

I think the plastic can still progressively yellow, due to it's exposures (light, chemicals, smoke, humidity, contact with other plastics) before it is protected by the UV cases. It'll slow the process, but I'm thinking that if the plastic has started deteriorating before it is encased, it could well continue to yellow as the plastic bonds continue to break down.
    I think AFA grading is only a protective measure if you do it as soon as the toy is released.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull Cruncher View Post
    Has anyone got anything AFA'd and noticed its started yellowing after being graded? Would this occur?
    I know some comic collectors have complained about mold growing on CGC'd slabbed comics, if they aren't stored right.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

I can appreciate why people collect MISB - there's a certain fresh-off-the-shelf look that appeals to me as an Appreciator of Toys. And no doubt we all have memories - both actual and imagined - of being a kid and skipping hither and yon amongst pegs awash with row upon row of boxed and plastic-bubbled Wonderment.

But MISB for profit? I don't get it.

This is not a long term investment. This is plastic. It is slowly and inexorably, being destroyed. You can talk about keeping it out of the sun and sealing it in perspex and not feeding it after midnight and it all may help. But it is supposed to deteriorate. On an atomic level it's eating itself alive.

It's supposed to do this. It's the way of things.

None of what we do truly matters. We will all become Powder.

But before then I want some cool toys that I can have fun with.

Quote Originally Posted by snazzbot 101 View Post
    I can appreciate why people collect MISB - there's a certain fresh-off-the-shelf look that appeals to me as an Appreciator of Toys. And no doubt we all have memories - both actual and imagined - of being a kid and skipping hither and yon amongst pegs awash with row upon row of boxed and plastic-bubbled Wonderment.

But MISB for profit? I don't get it.

This is not a long term investment. This is plastic. It is slowly and inexorably, being destroyed. You can talk about keeping it out of the sun and sealing it in perspex and not feeding it after midnight and it all may help. But it is supposed to deteriorate. On an atomic level it's eating itself alive.

It's supposed to do this. It's the way of things.

None of what we do truly matters. We will all become Powder.

But before then I want some cool toys that I can have fun with.
    If the toys are vacuum sealed and kept away from UV rays then they could in theory last forever

After reading snazzbot 101's post, I'm not so much worried about my Transformers but more myself now. I don't want to become 'powder'...

That was probably the most depressing reply I have ever read which started off as a discussion about keeping toys MISB.
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    After reading snazzbot 101's post, I'm not so much worried about my Transformers but more myself now. I don't want to become 'powder'...

That was probably the most depressing reply I have ever read which started off as a discussion about keeping toys MISB.
    Simple- Get yourself mummified or vacuum sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Simple- Get yourself mummified or vacuum sealed.
    I always told my wife that I want to be stuffed and seated on the couch.... just the way she remembers me
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks