Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Financing your hobby- how do you?

Talking Financing your hobby- how do you?

Im a poor family man, lol. Ive been buying and selling a bit on ebay to finance my tf habit. Does anyone else do this?

I only spend maybe $50- $80 per month (because im a poor family man). Whats the most a member has spent in a month on transformers? Dont have to be exact- perhaps a round about figure? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Sigma 13 View Post
    Im a poor family man, lol. Ive been buying and selling a bit on ebay to finance my tf habit. Does anyone else do this?

I only spend maybe $50- $80 per month (because im a poor family man). Whats the most a member has spent in a month on transformers? Dont have to be exact- perhaps a round about figure? Just curious.
    lol I am ashamed to say but it reached about $600 on one night! However this was from my savings and for a 1/1000000 chance to get Botcon toys at decent prices. It took me a while to repay it but I managed.

whenever i have a job i dont seem to spend anything

its when im unemployed i'll see something on ebay or someone here will be selling something, or there will be a toy fair

my spending on tfs has been getting smaller over the last 3 yrs as i slide into destitution. bloody mortage and parents stupid investment habits and for not winning the lottery

A bit of selling old stuff is the way to go. I try and keep it down, but this year I have spent heaps. Damn you botcon and large Encore Tfs. Its funny the things we do to keep on going. If I can sell stuff and have enough to get some TFs without touching my savings, then wa-hey! Thats great. I guess the biggest thing is not to go crazy with it all.

And its the hardest thing not too

Buying toys while they're current instead of paying for inflated after-market prices really helps. For example, all of my e-Hobby Transformers I've purchased as soon as they're out - so I always pay just the standard price for them. I've lost Gamede and I'm still waiting for someone to halves on with a Magnificus - i.e.: if someone wants a Magnificus but doesn't want Gamede I'm willing to go halves - the other party can keep the box and all inserts, I just need the Microman figure and I'll pay 50% of the total cost) - but I reckon paying half the after-market price for Magnificus/Gamede may cost me more than what I originally paid for the entire set.

Sometimes it means spending more money in a short burst at some times - usually when a new wave comes out, but in the long term I reckon it saves me time and money.

The early bird catches the worm - you snooze you lose.

To fund my collection and free some space I am also considering selling some of my non TF stuff like Blizzard action figures such as Warcraft.

i live with my uncle and hes rich :P, mostly my part time job
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

gosh it's like funding for beer or ciggies (might you, I don't do either)..

I think my spending per month is about 30-70, which makes me even poorer

Hmm, i was just referred to as a scalper in another post- im trying to sell 2 ultimate Bumblebees on Au ebay (to help pay for the 3rd one for me). Im not trying to get rich from this, just support the habbit. How do members feel about this? I put them on for $95 ($88.75 retail + a few bucks to cover my listing fee and final value fee).

This is what i put down in lazerbeaks tf sightings and i reccon it sounds pretty fair:

My missus spotted some Ultimate Bumblebee's at our local Big W, she reccons they were only just put on the shelf (retail price $88.73). She bought 1 and ive put 2 on layby. Im trying to sell 2 on ebay. If these dont sell i am quite willing to pass these on at the retail price to any member who is interested (buyer pays postage). Im not much of a business man lol, so well see what happens.

Anyway im interested in feedback on this issue.

I don't smoke, drink, or club, so all the money that most of my friends spend on those items, I can spend on transformers, cd's and the like.

Although I am glad that we have been in somewhat of a drought of late, it's saved me a bit of money!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)