Page 53 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3343484950515253545556575863 ... LastLast

Thread: The Food Thread - comments and recommendations

Tried sweet potato flavoured Kitkat today! Unique enough, but you can also bake them in the oven for 5 mins and they turn into a really sweet crispy crumble. Was very much like honeycomb in flavour after that.

I saw the ad for this on TV at the beginning of the week, and since they weren't showing the actual burger (clearly), I guessed that it might be the black coloured bread that I've seen in Japan.... and sure enough, it was. (which is why they don't show it on the TV commercial, as it might put people off, rather than tease them into finding out what it is)

The advertisement at the store...

And what one looks like for real...
    The box has the Colonel on it, but only when the light shines on it in a certain way.

Inside the lid is the list of ingredients. (the black coloured bread is traditionally coloured by adding bamboo ash to the dough, but I don't know if they did that with these)

Mine had a big finger mark on the top, as it must have been handled fairly roughly.

The bread didn't taste any different, and with the chilli flakes, it had a real bite to it. But the mustard & maple sauce gave it a big sweet taste to it, clashing with the chilli.
    Probably worth trying just to say that you've eaten black bread, but not worth buying again.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Tried sweet potato flavoured Kitkat today! Unique enough, but you can also bake them in the oven for 5 mins and they turn into a really sweet crispy crumble. Was very much like honeycomb in flavour after that.
    It's amazing the sheer number of kitkat varieties over there in Japan, and the weird flavours they sometimes have. I tried a few when I was there in 2013, and a few years ago there was an ebayer who would pack a random kitkat in the box with whatever toy I was buying.

Yeah i keep looking for more varieties, but have only seen regular, green tea and the sweet potato one so far. Chocolate is quite expensive here, and the serve sizes like everything else is quite small.

It's nice having flavoured Kit kats but I wouldn't mind a big block of Cadbury's too! I saw some Tim Tams, the regular pack that cost 450Y... so maybe it's a good thing Cadbury isn't here

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The bread didn't taste any different...
    I liked how the black bun was actually soft! The buns on the regular KFC burgers I get seem almost stale, so this was a nice change of pace!

Megatran Guest

That ain't no big finger mark on the bun.

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    I liked how the black bun was actually soft! The buns on the regular KFC burgers I get seem almost stale, so this was a nice change of pace!
    Apparently in this KFC youtube video the colouring in the bread (which they call "Vegetable Carbon" ), could turn your poo green... (if you eat enough of it).

Not exactly something I will be checking out, but thought it was funny that it was an issue of concern.

The black bun will be around until April 18th, for anyone wanting to try one.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    That ain't no big finger mark on the bun.
    Now i'd be worried about what's in the sauce...

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Apparently in this KFC youtube video the colouring in the bread (which they call "Vegetable Carbon" ), could turn your poo green... (if you eat enough of it).

Not exactly something I will be checking out, but thought it was funny that it was an issue of concern.
    So you don't stare into the abyss before you flush?

I view that burger, like it's just chicken between chocolate cake! I'm sticking to my double zinger stacker, which I've not had in ages now

Quote Originally Posted by Mythirax View Post
    I view that burger, like it's just chicken between chocolate cake! I'm sticking to my double zinger stacker, which I've not had in ages now
    Chocolate cake is what it looked like to me when I cut it open...

The price ($7.45) for a single piece of chicken burger is why I only recommending it to try once, just for the novelty of it.
    It does taste nice with the sweet unique sauce, but I don't like the chilli flakes, and would rather have that sauce on a regular zinger or fillet burger.