Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: aucbay on eBay = Douche

What annoys me more is sellers on other boards who use the excuse for not shipping outside of the US because it is too expensive to ship overseas. I would put the question to them that if someone is willing to pay the postage, what's the problem? I just see it as a front for saying "I don't want to send anything overseas because I don't trust them and feel I will get ripped off when they say they never received it" They would have the same protection under paypal as if they used ebay would they not?

Slightly off topic, but similar situation.

I'm not so sure PayPal Seller Protection exists for non-eBay transactions, but I am sure that a buyer's credit card protection ALWAYS APPLIES. So naturally, that's a bit one-sided. Note that I'm not complaining as CC buyer protection has saved me on numerous occasions.

Unfortunately, as you can see in this thread, many international buyers can get pretty infuriated at high shipping costs (observe the word "douche" in the thread title), so for many Americans, who have such a large market at their domestic doorstop, the benefits simply don't outweigh the risks.

In my opinion, the irony here, is that the stye of complaint heard throughout this thread is likely to be one of, if not the, major cause of your complaint.

It's quite possible that many US sellers have copped abuse from foreigners for quoting the necessary expensive postage costs, and just decided they don't want to risk that sort of abuse anymore (by only selling to Americans from now on).

On several occasions it has happened to me that the price they quote is much more (50%-70% more) of what it actually cost them.

can people stop trying to provide perfectly rational explanations for these high shipping charges? other people are trying to vent their frustrations here!

I've had similar dealings,
    I recently bought a group of 3 legends figures, wheelie, cosmos and warpath.

Anyway, the combined postage saved me $2 0ff the $8 each that the guy was going to charge for postage. pretty steep.
    what ticked me off was when I recieved it, he had spent about $4 on postage, and I can assure you VERY little on the packaging. over constant emailing afterwards he refused all but the smallest refund on postage. by the time I got around to going to give him negative feedback the listing was too old to give feedback to. this was danny237706 from malaysia.

On the other side of the coin, I recently bought a baseball glove from a guy in the states who initially was charging $40 postage, I asked about First Class International which other sellers were using, he looked into it, charged me $20 postage in the end then refunded me another $2 after he'd been to the post office and found it was cheaper than he expected. He also said that it was fully trackable.
    This guy is on my favorite sellers list. Too bad he doesn't sell transformers gear.

In short, excessive postage seems to me to often be an excuse to make more money off an underpriced or relatively cheap item. I realise there aren't a lot of options sometime but it's eBay, there will always be someone else selling what you want who's not trying to jam you with postage. just wait a while and give your business to those who deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    In short, excessive postage seems to me to often be an excuse to make more money off an underpriced or relatively cheap item.
    In some cases more than others:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Alot of the time i will simply email the seller and ask how much for postage to Australia and they usually send me a proper, reasonable price compared to the one listed in the auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    LMAO!!! I thought ebay didn't allow things like this!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I realise there aren't a lot of options sometime but it's eBay, there will always be someone else selling what you want who's not trying to jam you with postage. just wait a while and give your business to those who deserve it.
    So true. This is what I live by when I go on eBay. Just gotta be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    "flat rate shipping applies all".
    that's rich