Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AUS Toyfair 2008 TFs report, part 1 of 3 (Universe).

CLASSICS ALL THE WAY, i think we should have some discussions on the influence of the design of the toys.

mirage = influence from RID and G1 racing car - updated
    grimlock = transmetal dinobot from BW

Blaster = Soundwave recolour
    Silverbolt = G1 concorde influence
    Prowl and sunstreaker = G1 influence

i dunt get the influence for brawl...
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

Quote Originally Posted by autobreadticon
    mirage = influence from RID and G1 racing car - updated
    Well yeah, RiD Mirage is a repaint of G2 Mirage! (^_^) I don't see much from Spychanger Mirage influencing this toy - more accurately, both the G2 and Classics Mirage moulds were influenced by the original G1 Mirage figure.

Generation 2 Gobot Mirage

L-R: Robotmasters Mirage, G1 Mirage, Classics Mirage, RiD Mirage and Machine Wars Mirage

grimlock = transmetal dinobot from BW
    Buh?! I don't see any influence between Transmetal Dinobot and Classics Grimlock at all. I see influences obviously from 1985 G1 Grimlock and some influence from G1 Pretender Grimlock (particularly with the bayonet rifle thing) - that's why I used this toy as Pretender Grimlock in my "Primal Scream" photocomic.

Transmetal Dinobot

Or did you mean Transmetal 2 Dinobot? If so, I still don't see ANY resemblance at all...

Here's a side-by-side comparison between 1985 G1 Grimlock, Classics Grimlock and G1 Pretender Grimlock

Blaster = Soundwave recolour
    With craptacular results. Bad enough when they repaint Bumblebee as Cliffjumper... this is even worse! Blaster has never been a freakin' repaint of Soundwave!! This toy just reeks of a shameless attempt to exploit collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by autobreaticon
    Silverbolt = G1 concorde influence
    Yeah, only G1 influence here. Don't see any influences from any other Silverbolts (we should be thankful that there's no influence from Beast Machines Silverbolt, ehehehehehe)
    Quote Originally Posted by autobreaticon
    Prowl and sunstreaker = G1 influence
    Indeed. I like how Sunstreaker has the "Sideswipe mode" and hopefully it will be repainted with a NEW head for Classics Sideswipe. If they just do a red repaint and call it Sideswipe, then I would like to start an online petition for someone to travel to Pawtucket Rhode Island and kick Aaron Archer in the janglies.

i dunt get the influence for brawl...
    Brawl?! Are you talking about Onslaught?? If so, you can see the influence from G1 Onslaught in the robot mode... but not so much in the vehicle mode.

And here's Classics Grimlock as Pretender Grimlock from G1:
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 7th April 2008 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

Yeah, only G1 influence here. Don't see any influences from any other Silverbolts (we should be thankful that there's no influence from Beast Machines Silverbolt, ehehehehehe)
    BM Silverbolt had spectactular hair!

He did! I really loved that Samurai topknot that he had (and other features of his body which looked Samurai-esque too). Really suited his inherent "honourable/noble" persona.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    He did! I really loved that Samurai topknot that he had (and other features of his body which looked Samurai-esque too). Really suited his inherent "honourable/noble" persona.
    Too bad he was so Emo.

*throws up* Is that Beast Machines? *throws up again*

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    *throws up* Is that Beast Machines? *throws up again*
    Sadly, most of the Maximals look like organic aliens more than they look like robots in Beast Machines.

Its something you need to 'put aside' if you want to watch BM.

(offtopic)
    It's because the Beast Machines Maximals are technorganic - a balance between organic and technological. It was Aaron Archer's idea and the Mainframe writers made it veeeeery deeply theo-philosophical. You know how I've often complained about TF Animated failing to present anything to engage me as an adult? BM is on the complete opposite end of the scale - it engages you at an adult level but has little to engage children. I find Beast Wars was the best TF TV series in terms of engaging both adult and child audiences which isn't as easy as it sounds.

+ =

It was a radically different concept for Transformers and quite controversial - as in, people were actually sending death threats to Bob Skir... very VERY ugly and horrible things were said to and about him from some stupid fans (as much as you may hate someone's work, it's no excuse to personally attack someone - I mean, I'm not Aaron Archer's biggest fan but I've never said anything insulting to or about him on a public forum).

TF: Animated's Blackarachnia is revisiting the technorganic concept, which is interesting to see and we'll see how popular it becomes. I think one thing that helps is that she's unique - the only character who's technorganic, whereas in Beast Machines all the Maximals were technorganic and thus it dominated half the toy line.
    (/offtopic)
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 9th April 2008 at 04:34 PM.

*Still throwing up*

After researching beast machines abit I think I'll have to watch it once I finish Beast Wars (which I've started again since catching up on animated). Beast Machines appears to be what I call "Car crash TV" absolutely horrible but you can't help but watch it.

That being said I will probably only ever watch it once.

*Runs off to join STL in the lavatory to throw up*