View Poll Results: Gen Skullgrin - worth buying?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 47.83%
  • Only if cheap

9 39.13%
  • Only if (something else)

2 8.70%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not interested

1 4.35%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Generations Skullgrin

It's unfortunate that the head had to be so small, to fit through the hole in the body section. That scale issue kinda spoils the overall look of the robot mode because your eyes are automatically drawn to a 'persons' head.
    I like the colours though, and would have been nice to have the concept head shown at BotCon, which better resembled the Gen1 pretender shell head (but obviously wouldn't have worked due to the size restriction - with the horns, it would have been even smaller than the one they ended up with).

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    PROS:The tank mode, ah the tank mode. I don't know if an actual tank like this exists in real life but if it did it is one real ugly tank. Its turret is too big and the idea of having truck wheels on the front instead of a consistent body of tank tracks just seems really out of place.
    He's a half-track with an overlarge turret/cannon. While Cybertron Scattorshot is the only other half-track TF I can think of off the top of my head I'm sure there've been a few over the years - Goki or someone can probably list all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    He's a half-track with an overlarge turret/cannon. While Cybertron Scattorshot is the only other half-track TF I can think of off the top of my head I'm sure there've been a few over the years - Goki or someone can probably list all the others.
    Tacker is definitely one. And Meltdown and Half-Track could be said to combine into one.

IRL Skullgrin, like a G6, he probably enjoys getting "slizzard" too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G6_howitzer

I must say I'm not impressed with Skullgrin. The mould works fantastically as Straxus, but it just looks and feels forced as Skullgrin, even with the different head. :/ Glad I didn't pay full RRP for this toy. This mould works much better as Straxus and just doesn't translate well as Skullgrin IMO.

I agree with Gok's comment.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The mould works fantastically as Straxus, but it just looks and feels forced as Skullgrin, even with the different head.
    I like the colors used, but I just think the head is ordinary and doesn't really standout.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    The original Skullgrin tank wasn't really a half-track, but it did only have treads at the back end of the vehicle so it's not tooooo big a stretch.

Half-tracks are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
    I agree with Gok's comment.

I like the colors used, but I just think the head is ordinary and doesn't really standout.
    It would have been awesome if the figure came with a standard TF head like Skullgrin's inner bot and a big skull like helmet which you can put on it. Then it would have worked a lot better. I would have been happy to sacrifice a couple of the guns for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    It would have been awesome if the figure came with a standard TF head like Skullgrin's inner bot and a big skull like helmet which you can put on it. Then it would have worked a lot better. I would have been happy to sacrifice a couple of the guns for it.
    The blade of the pick does have a bull-skull feel to it. They could have found a way to incorporate that as the helmet.

But overall I'm pleasantly surprised with this guy. The head's a much brighter white than the packaging shows, and the alt-mode works 10X better in this colour-scheme than it did with Darkmount.

Now cough up a Submarauder for me, and I'll be a happy camper.

Skullgrin is not a great homage, but he is an excellent repaint. A good choice of colours used reminiscent of the pretender years (Always loved the colours of the Decep Pretenders, and Dreadwing, Darkwing, Double Dealer etc, one of the best years for Decepticon colours IMO) and the paintjob accentuates different aspects of the mold to Straxus.

So while he isn't the best Skullgrin he is a good toy, also my Skullgrin is way more stable and has less QC issues than Straxus.