View Poll Results: RtS Rodimus Vs Cyclonus - worth buying?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 46.15%
  • Only if cheap

4 30.77%
  • Only if (something else)

2 15.38%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not interested

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - RtS Battle in Space: Cyclonus versus Rodimus (spoilers)

Thumbs up Toy Review - RtS Battle in Space: Cyclonus versus Rodimus (spoilers)

I've just read the comic that comes with Cyclonus versus Rodimus, and
    have some observations to make. The toys of course, are just gorgeous
    repaints, very G1 movie like, but I found that the joints were incredibly loose - to the point where Cyclonus's arms would regular disconnect from the shoulder, and even the slightest bump or movement would make Rodimus's yellow fin piece rotate to fall downwards. Hopefully its just mine, and they aren't all that bad.

Also, their rubsigns did NOT have the white/grey border, and were different from other RtS rubsigns.

(Spoilers about the comic)

The comic is a tie-in to the G1 movie, taking place just after Ultra Magnus's dismemberment. Galvatron issues a challenge to Cyclonus and Scourge to collect as much of an Autobot headcount as they can, and Cyclonus winges about not getting any respect. Where is his army of followers, like Scourge's sweeps.

Cyclonus corners the crew of the Quintesson ship, and we see good old Kup, Wheelie, and Grimlock/dinobots (not all were shown). Here's the thing too, that the comic features characters and cameos of all the new Generations line (and previously released Universe/Classics). We see Jazz on one panel, we see Tracks, SOlar grapple, Warpath, etc.

So the question is- since so many of the appearances were forced and didn't fit naturally, and they were heralding new toys, could we assume that ALL of the cameos will prelude toys that are on the release schedule or currently working on (excluding Ultra magnus obviously)?

The final panel, for example, features Arcee, Grimlock, and Sludge. Could we be seeing the love for Sludge, since we know Arcee is already on the cards?

All in all, a fun comic, and potentially exciting preludes of new toys.
    Well worth buying if you didn't buy the three-pack of Rodimus, Scourge and Galvatron.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

What did Arcee look like? (we got our first look at Kup's new design through this set)
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    What did Arcee look like? (we got our first look at Kup's new design through this set)
    You can see the picture of Arcee at Seibertron.

Come to think of it, my old G1 Sludge has a broken leg so I could use a Generations Sludge.

A RtS Sludge would be great, but Sludge actually was in that scene in the movie so it's not quite the same as the forced Tracks, Warpath and Lugnutz cameos.

Sludge? SLUDGE!? Oh, that would be awesome if it actually happened. Highly unlikely though. I'll have to make do with my forthcoming frenzy_rumble commission.

Finally managed to get one of these today. Cyclonus is excellent these colours look really G1-ish glad I finally got this guy, his targetmaster looks good too. But I bought this set mainly for the Hot Rod mold since I didn't have him yet and while the figure itself is good his paint job stinks, I looked over about 6 of them in store and all had pretty poor paint jobs and misplaced "shields", also the painted over windows are just lame, much prefer translucent ones. So far don't have any problems with joints though.

The big question is it worh $49? Well given that's basically the price of two deluxes I would say yes, you get two really cool figures plus a neat little matrix and comic.

In regards to the comic,*SPOILERS* I thought it was a decent read, but why on Earth was Lugnut shown in one panel when he doesn't even exist in G1?! Also does Kup have a problem saying the word "Tracks" because he called him Warpath and then even called him Lugnut!

I saw these toys at Target yesterday, and I must say they look very nice and the price is also good value.

Hot Rod -- looks kinda cartoony, but it's great for fans of cartoon likeness. Although objectively I don't think it looks much better or worse than the original. The photo of the toy on the back of the box looks like it has painted windows whereas the original has clear.

Cyclonus -- very nice! Gone are the mismatching Hasbro grays on Universe Cyclonus and the colours on Nightstick look sweet too. And the purple looks more cartoon like whereas Henkei Cyclonus looked a bit bright (which is ironic considering that Japanese TV is NTSC )

The Matrix -- looks identical to the one that came with the 2001 New Year Convoy reissue. Thus it's compatible with the 1984 Optimus Prime mould; it's designed to clip inside Optimus Prime's chest compartment. Does it come with a chain?

I personally passed on this set because I already have Classics Rodimus, Universe Cyclonus and the Matrix from New Year Convoy (plus the Matrixes from reissue Galvatron and Galvatron II). But for anyone who doesn't have all these (especially if you don't have any of them) then I think it's a great deal. I'd grab one in a heartbeat if I didn't already have these toys in their original forms.

So I voted on "Only if (something else)" -- the condition being if you don't have the original toys, then definitely grab it. Although even if you do, they're pretty nice variants to collect.

Cyclonus is great.

Rodimus' plastic feels thinner than the Classics version. To me it felt almost like KO quality. But I do like the colours: really sets it apart from the classics version. The yellow flames on the hood could have been brighter.

I'm calling the BiS version Hot Rod and the classics version Rodimus (and when I get around to adding the FP trailer it will be Rodimus Prime)

Toy Review - Rodimus Vs Cyclonus (Battle in Space)

Rodimus
    Series - Reveal the Shield
    Sub-line - Battle in Space
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Redeco of Classics (re-release of Universe)
    Wave - N/A
    Released here - Jan 2011
    Approximate Size - 15cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Cybertronian race car
    Main Features/Gimmicks - rubsign
    Main Colours - Red, yellow, grey
    Main Accessories - launcher, missile

Cyclonus w/ Nightstick
    Series - Reveal the Shield
    Sub-line - Battle in Space
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Redeco of Classics (re-release of Universe)
    Wave - N/A
    Released here - Jan 2011
    Approximate Size - 15cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Cybertronian Jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks - rubsign
    Main Colours - Three purples, black
    Main Accessories - gun (Nightstick)

PLUS - metal Matrix, exclusive Comic.
    Approximate Retail Price - $25-60