Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
Can't wait for the walking quote engine to get his own movie.
Yeah, this is the challenging thing about taking what is an essentially flawless saviour/Messiah archetype and trying to make a character out of him. Not impossible though, look at what the MCU has done with Captain America. But I think that the main thing that has to happen - and this is important for all characters, but especially for the saviour archetype - is for them to earn their screen presence and audience investment.

This was one big difference between say the Avengers vs Justice League on the big screen. The characters in The Avengers, especially in Infinity War with its bugger-off size cast, is that they earned their presence. ∞War doesn't bother providing exposition for its 20-odd cast members because over the course of the past decade, they've already earned the place. Contrast this with Justice League which gives us a bunch of new characters who haven't earnt their place -- now I saw new because even Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman were portrayed very differently from their previous incarnations, so they might as well have been new characters. And people whinge about Scarlet Witch changing her accent or Black Widow changing her hair colour in ∞War (despite the fact that it's not uncommon for people to shift accents or change hair colour!).

Now I know that fans all want a movie entirely set on Cybertron without humans, but I do wonder if that would isolate the non-fan general movie going public. Look at what happened when DC tried doing this with Green Lantern where a good part of the movie happened off-world. Although Thor Ragnarok was set predominantly off-Midgard and it worked really well. I guess the secret is to create likable and relatable characters.

But then again, Bumblebee has given us the most likable characters ever seen in a Transformers movie (even the Decepticons are likable in Bumblebee!) and yet it's tanking at the box office. Perhaps Michael Bay was right all along to cater for the lowest common denominator and just give people cheap thrills at the expense of an actual story with heart.