Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: Gundam in all guises

Not enough people are singing the RG tune... gonna post some photos of Aile Strike later to help the movement!

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    Oh wow. Straight into the deep end of MG's for you huh? Enjoy Sinanju. It's one of the, if not the best MG's out.
    Yeah, I couldn't resist opening it up and building it... the pic on the box (and your pic of him earlier in this thread) was just screaming at me to recreate the awesomeness of him.

If you are gonna go for Deathscythe make sure you go for the EW version with the wings. The wings actually hold up and is supported well. Regular Deathscythe doesn't have the wings and is white. It's from the Gundam Wing series and they are getting a lot of love the past year with MG releases for nearly all the lead mechs. Their engineering is ok. Nothing like Sinanju, but its all very clean and lean and satisfying.

[img]--SNIP--[/img]
    Yep, that's the one I was looking at - the black EW version.

Something about his design just screams sinister and 'cartoony' at the same time.

MG is the bread and butter of Gunpla. There's no going back. Although, you do crave some quick builds every now and then. So a HG taking 2-4 hours compared to 6-9 hours of an MG. Plus the MG range is limited in mechs available. HG's have range 30x bigger than MG's.

Also don't forget Real Grade. MG detail in 1/144 scale. Worth checking out. Only 4 out at the moment: RX782, Char's Zaku 2, Zaku 2, Aile Strike & coming soon Freedom Gundam. Ace series.
    I get what you mean by craving to do a quick build... might pick up a couple HG's (or RGs) further down the track, but plan on sticking with the 1/100 scale MGs at the moment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be 1/100 scale 'no grades'?

If so, are they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Fungal Infection View Post
    Welcome to the club by the way!
    Thanks mate. Seems like a very exclusive club (at least around these parts)

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Not enough people are singing the RG tune... gonna post some photos of Aile Strike later to help the movement!
    I sung the RG tune a dozen or so posts ago with RX782. Was my favorite kit of the past year. I've got the other RG's piled up waiting to be built. After all decals have been attached, they are just absolutely stunning. Only downfall is some parts tend to come off. So strictly a display piece.

But yes kurdt, I sing the same praises as you do over Real Grades. Can't wait until they start doing 00 mechs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be 1/100 scale 'no grades'?
    Yes there are. They are like enlarged High Grades. No internal frames like MG's and proportions are different. So it will look lsightly different to it's MG counterpart if any. Since there are no Internal Frames, it can get too top heavy for the "hollow"legs to support and can have balance issues.

The best NG 1/100 are the 00 Series. Especially Avalanche Exia, Arios & Kyrios. The Seed/Destiny NG's are also decent. I wouldn't bother going back to older series for NG 1/100. Stick with Seed/Destiny & 00.

Highlights for me:

00 NG 1/100's - Avalanche Exia, Kyrios, Arios, a few pictured below and really all of them.

Seed/Destiny/Astray NG 1/100 - Astray Gold Frame Amatsu version (excellent!), Akatsuki Gundam (GOLD!) & Infinite Justice.

It's up to you whether you can justify the cheaper option over the MG versions, but in the long run, you are better off with the MG's. Although there are NG 1/100 mechs that aren't and unlikely to be a MG. The 00 Series NG's are pretty darn good.

NG 00 - 1/100 Tieren

NG 00 - 1/100 Overflag

NG 00 - 1/100 Nadleeh

1/100 Virtue (Nadleeh Armored)

Sheesh. I get carried away don't I. Unashamed Gunpla fanboy here.

Just a couple pics of RG Aile Strike Gundam!

@Stompy - thanks again for all your wisdom and info mate. I think I will probably get a few NG 1/100, simply because I like the scaling (so they all look 'right' lined up against the MGs).

I like the look of Avalanche Exia & Arios, but Astray Gold Frame Amatsu & Akatsuki are sensational!

(VP scurries off to eBay in search of the 'bling' Gundams )

@Kurdt - man, that RG Aile Strike Gundam looks fabulous!

Hard to believe how much detail there is on a 1/144 scale, now that I've seen one up close in detail.

I finally finished assembling MG Sinanju last night and now need to go sticking all the stickers on (when I get a chance tonight or tomorrow).

So far, I estimate a build time of about 9 hours, but man, it was definitely worth it - he's totally awesome looking!

Not sure if I will apply all the stickers - maybe a couple of the gold foil ones since I like the clean look of him.

Btw, is there a special way to remove the pieces off the runners/sprue to prevent rub/wear marks?

I'm using a Sangokuden nipper to cut them off and trim off the excess plastic, but I still get wear marks - should I use a file to lightly sand them back instead?

Or do you guys use something to touch up the wear afterwards?

I use one of my wife's nail files, don't tell her
    Filing hurts after a while though and probably doubles build time, so i only bother when the piece is gonna be easily viewable on the completed model, or if the connection between pieces will be hindered by not filing.

I usually just use the cutter to trim off the excess and use my nail to smooth it out. I invested in some Gundam Markers to cover up the discoloured cut marks..

I'm a straight up builder and really in it for the build. So I don't go to too much trouble. They are barely recognizable once built and displayed.

Great to hear you finished your Sinanju VP. I can't wait to see your photo's.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    I use one of my wife's nail files, don't tell her
    Filing hurts after a while though and probably doubles build time, so i only bother when the piece is gonna be easily viewable on the completed model, or if the connection between pieces will be hindered by not filing.
    I usually just use the cutter to trim off the excess and use my nail to smooth it out. I invested in some Gundam Markers to cover up the discoloured cut marks..

I'm a straight up builder and really in it for the build. So I don't go to too much trouble. They are barely recognizable once built and displayed.
    I'm like you Kurdt in the sense that I would really only bother filing the part if it's noticeable when displayed or hinders movement of another part.

Most of the time I just do what you do Stompy and trim the piece and use my nail to smooth it out.

Yeah I was referring more to whether there was a special way to cut the pieces off without leaving discoloured cut marks - but I guess not.

I might have to pick up a couple of Gundam markers.

Great to hear you finished your Sinanju VP. I can't wait to see your photo's.
    Here you go

Okay, so Gunpla is becoming a bit too addictive and I've gone a bit bonkers.

Picked up from Hobbyco the other day (since I was itching to build something 'simpler' following MG Sinanju):

1/100 HG Deathscythe Hell Custom
    1/100 HG Sword Impulse

And I also have the following 1/100 stuff on order from overseas:

MG Strike Freedom
    MG Astray Red Frame
    HG Gale Strike Gundam
    HG Astray Mirage Frame
    HG Arios
    HG Cherudim
    HG Wing Zero Custom
    HG Astray Gold Frame Amatsu
    HG Exia
    HG Avalanche Exia
    HG 00 Gundam
    HG Vent Saviour

I don't know how I'm going to find the time to build them all (since I've been neglecting other things in my life over the past week - including the gf) but I'm addicted to the 'build' - this new plastic crack addiction has turned me into a gunpla junkie.