Page 84 of 195 FirstFirst ... 6474798081828384858687888994104 ... LastLast

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

Yeah, I found quite a few Japanese TFs at Hong Kong airport last month, but they were on the expensive side. Considering that I was flying into Tokyo I was confident that I could find 'em for RRP or less (which I did). It was interesting finding those toys, but not at those prices. I suppose it's for those last minute souvenirs from visiting friends/relos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Sitting at Changi Airport and decide to wander into the toy stores...spot MP Inferno, Ironhide, Ratchet and Red Alert+. Just seems kinda random to spot these toys at an airport.
    Singapore airport has a great toystore in the main terminal (I bought quite a few toys when in Singapore a few years back)... which itself is marketed as a 24 hour shopping centre, for non-travelling people to come to for just for the shopping.

But you find those all-hours hub airports like Singapore and HK have all that shopping there for those people who may be spending several hours between connecting flights, but don't want to leave the airport. (HK airport's terminal 2 looks more like a shopping centre as well, with three toystores in the two terminals.)

The only problem with that though is that if you do too much shopping before a flight or between flights, you may not have the ability to take it on the flight (as you already have checked in your check-in luggage)... particularly if you like most people, are already taking on your limit of carry-on luggage to reduce or prevent having check-in luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yeah, I found quite a few Japanese TFs at Hong Kong airport last month, but they were on the expensive side. Considering that I was flying into Tokyo I was confident that I could find 'em for RRP or less (which I did). It was interesting finding those toys, but not at those prices. I suppose it's for those last minute souvenirs from visiting friends/relos.
    Yeah prices were definitely at a premium, something like 15-20% more expensive. If I was desperate for a particular figure, and saw it there and then, I probably would've bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The only problem with that though is that if you do too much shopping before a flight or between flights, you may not have the ability to take it on the flight (as you already have checked in your check-in luggage)... particularly if you like most people, are already taking on your limit of carry-on luggage to reduce or prevent having check-in luggage.
    I'll admit it was hard to walk away from the toy store without buying something. Their stock would give most Australian toy stores a run for the money. But with full luggage already I could only get something small, and they didn't have what I was looking for. Still, I returned from my trip with my MP36 which shall be posted in the June acquisitions

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Yeah prices were definitely at a premium, something like 15-20% more expensive. If I was desperate for a particular figure, and saw it there and then, I probably would've bought it.

HK airport toy stores normally have a great selection but sell at eBay prices as they know they have a captive audience, especially passengers in transit who won't be leaving the airport. Unfortunately to get the regular and bargain prices for toys you have to stay in HK overnight and hit the stores in places like Mong Kok.

Not so random but didn't know where to put it... a podcast I listen to is reviewing all live action transformers movies this month, one per week . It started this week.
    It's called "We hate movies". It's funny, if you're prepared to laugh at people ripping into it. There is some language throughout it.

Some dude in the US is attempting to set the Guinness record for the world's largest Transformers collection.
    http://www.pe.com/2017/06/05/how-muc...nts-1313-ways/
    ...with a collection of 618 toys. Okay, he boasts to have a total collection of all things Transformers at 1313 -- but honestly. I've got 2038 toys... I don't count my non-toy stuff, but on toys alone I already got this guy beaten. If I counted all my comics, posters, DVDs etc... yeah. And guys like griffin have far larger collections than mine. Then you have international fans like Harold Tietjens or Akiyama Fumihiko who - IMHO - are the more likely contenders to have the world's largest collection.

This dude does have a large collection considering that 53% of collectors have 200 toys or fewer. But by the same token, 24% of fans have collections numbering 700 or more, with 19% of fans owning over 1000 toys.

This is what my Transformers comic book collection looked like 10 years ago...

Megatran Guest

The dude has a name "AJ" Arj.

Arj's story of growing up with Transformers resonates with many TF fans / collectors. Better still he shares his passion with his kids.

He may not have the largest collection (he doesn't ... by a long shot) but he's proud to nominate himself for the Guinness. Good on him!

I enjoy these stories. Thanks for sharing.

& how many of us have approached Guiness like AJ?
    Hmmm?

Megatran Guest

My exact thoughts too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    & how many of us have approached Guiness like AJ?
    But that's cos the rest of us know damn well that we don't have the world's largest collection. I have no problem with this guy boasting about this collection. And as I said, it is a large collection, larger than the average collector's collection. But to be so bold as to claim that it's the world's largest? No offence to this guy, but that's just factually incorrect.