Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: MP-57 Masterpiece Skyfire Soars Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The release date is noted as being January 2023, for 38,500yen (currently about au$430)... exclusive to TakaraTomyMall in Japan.
    (just noting that this Masterpiece toy is said to be 35cm tall, while the Siege toy was 32cm and had a lot of panel detailing - the MP toy is mostly flat panels, which does make it look more cartoon accurate)
    Yeah, I wouldn't blame anyone for just hanging onto Siege Jetfire and skipping MP Skyfire entirely. I've pre-ordered this toy, but totally understand others who won't. This must be the second most expensive TF ever other than HasLab Unicron (that toy's RRP is likely to be unbeaten for quite some time (if ever) ).

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    An extra $20 ($300 v $320 at OMP) for almost double the height.. seems like a much simpler design philosophy than MP52.
    Most likely because Skyfire's design is 100% Floro Dery Sunbow cartoon, whereas MP52 also has to resemble a real-world F15 Eagle; so it's got all those real-life panel lines etc. Since Skyfire's design is entirely fictitious, it's gonna be plain as Jane. Also, they want to offer something different; if you want a more detailed looking Skyfire toy, then Siege Jetfire has you covered (and for a fraction of the price). I must say that I'm not a big fan of the pouty lips on MP Skyfire's face. Hopefully it will look better IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    This must be the second most expensive TF ever other than HasLab Unicron (that toy's RRP is likely to be unbeaten for quite some time (if ever) ).
    Didn't MP-44 Convoy retail for higher than what MP Skyfire will?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Most likely because Skyfire's design is 100% Floro Dery Sunbow cartoon, whereas MP52 also has to resemble a real-world F15 Eagle; so it's got all those real-life panel lines etc. Since Skyfire's design is entirely fictitious, it's gonna be plain as Jane.
    Plus the Seekers look more complex than Skyfire appears to be. Parts count affects price too.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    Correct. Worth noting that even the Nemesis version of MP44 is close in price to Skyfire and that's without a trailer, so it must have a fairly high parts count by comparison.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

The clean aesthetics really appeals for the classic character. The siege version is really amazing, but has a few extra details on panels. If I?m wanting a pure classic look, this masterpiece really hits the mark.

MP Skyfire is likely to have harder plastic too, for greater durability and appearance of greater quality (it's like comparing Siege Hound with MP Hound, the type of plastics used is completely different)... which is probably another reason why there is limited detailing on the panels. It might also lead to it being less flexible on any really tight joints, and this is a big toy, which will increase the load-bearing requirement of joints and transformation panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    I guess I have to get this - he's my namesake . But I'm expecting some disappointment to go along with my elation. I'm glad I bought the MP-52 trio but they were really expensive and, after getting 3 for 3 cracks in the tailfins (and saying to myself, "The next one will be fine"), as well as some minor cosmetic issues, I am almost expecting some love-hate with the MP-57 I receive. Sigh... and yay at the same time!

I collected a bunch of Bandai Origin of Valkyrie Macross toys to fill my 1980s Jetfire hole (good thing I also like Robotech), but it was my Siege toy that really cured the problem. But having MP-57 would be like reaching back in time and patting a sad little boy on the back and saying, "Hey, look what I got you."
    Just being immature here but I'm glad you filled your 1980's Jetfire hole. I never managed that
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

While I do have Fanstoys, I would recommend this piece over Fanstoys these days.

The only thing I wished this piece had the anime toon face plate instead of just the silver options.

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'm sticking with my Siege Skyfire (only non MP in my collection) as he fits my collection a bit better and looks incredible to me, but this guy looks fantastic too Will be an amazing addition to modern MP collections.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    I sit corrected.

Here's a new video of MP Skyfire with brief segments of it being transformed, especially between 0:29 to 0:50. Slowing the playback speed to x0.5 helps improve viewing experience.

MP Skyfire has a long face compared to how he appeared in the cartoon most of the time.

I would have preferred if they shortened it a bit like this. Maybe a 3rd party can make these:
    Last edited by High_Q; 16th June 2022 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Added info