Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aborted Gen1 Megatron reissue attempt by Hasbro

Default Aborted Gen1 Megatron reissue attempt by Hasbro

A UK fansite has obtained some prototype images of Gen1 Megatron, in some funky colours, as Hasbro's attempt to get it released during the reissue period of the last decade.
    Half bright orange, half shiny blue, with black accessories, apparently it was still unable to get approval for still being too realistic (not sure why, as Hasbro is the king of toy guns with their Nerf line).

It was probably for the best though, as no one would have bought a "reissue" Megatron looking like that. It would have needed to be written up as something story-related, and even still, would be too much of an eyesore on a collection shelf. Takara produced a good reissue, more than once, so it wasn't like the more desperate collectors couldn't get an accurate Megatron anyway. Hasbro didn't need to reissue Megatron, but it would have been nice from their perspective to have it as part of their classic line-up.

The UK fansite has also release a number of other prototype images through their facebook page, but nothing as significant as this though.

Don't you think it looks like a lost G2 version of Megatron? Or is that just me?

o_O

<3

Megatron Guest

That's (weird) interesting. At least it's not the very worst colour scheme I've seen so far (e.g. BH Megs). Kinda looks like... party mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Don't you think it looks like a lost G2 version of Megatron? Or is that just me?
    It probably would fit in nicely to the weird colours of Gen2... and that site was releasing a number of Gen1 and Gen2 prototypes, so it is possible. I was just going by what I read.

Incredibly rare photo of the aborted Toys R Us re-issue G1 Megatron. This wild color scheme was the only way Hasbro could possibly have released it. Eventually, it was dropped as still too much like a gun!
    Maybe they were just guessing.

The metallic blue actually looks nice and the colour combo strangely works.

Dear God.

The gallery of prototypes here is quite fascinating to look through, as there are some really early prototypes and concept drawings in there, from Gen1 thru to Energon.

There are even some Diaclone prototypes in there from before 1984.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

It didn't clear legal.

Can't say I blame them, really. It is still a very realistic gun design under there, especially with its accessories.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised we got the Legends version, considering there are real guns at that size. Plus soon after its release there was that news report of some trailer park American idiot picking up a gun of the same size off the ground, and almost shooting themself with it after they assumed it was a novelty cigarette lighter and tried to light their cigarette with it. The gene pool mourned its bad aim.

Looks cool. But I'm a sucker for G2 colour schemes.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain