Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: update expectations from online suppliers

It's definitely a first world issue problem (does that sentence even work? )

The want for plastic crack has become so great that some of us have lost touch with reality, and I mean no offence to those who live in that realm, because it's not a bad place to be.

It seems that people want "it" yesterday and for free, patience is not a word that may understand. I won't go on a Grandpa rant here but, yeah, people need to chill the F out!

I like Trents points about (un)social media and direct e-mail, any solid business will e-mail you with any difficulties if they have your hard earned dollars in their account and can't come with the goods within the specified time frame, to deal with this on FB, Twitter or elsewhere is beyond unprofessional and should be a big indicator of how that business really feels about their customers.

P.S.
    Trent, your sig
    But Man-babying: Yes!! (This could end up in the campaign)
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

I disagree that using social media is unprofessional... this is the way society is heading (like it or not) this forum is social media.

I do agree that this with the whole lack of patience being a problem. I haven't had a problem with any online store, and I am one of the people that hasnt had MP Ironhide shipped out yet but I don't mind as I have said in a previous post, it will get here when it gets here.

Megatran Guest

Great thread. It's like a sacrificial thread. People can dump their 'I want it now!' or 'why haven't I got notification yet' grievances in this thread and leave the 'Retailer's new items' & 'Retailer's feedback' threads for what they were originally set up for.

That's a really good point. It is impossible to find any posts easily that PC make given the numerous posts of whinging/whining/complaining. I am not saying that it is unfounded, but if stores could have a dedicated page where only they are allowed to post and then a separate feedback thread that would be great.
    Last edited by Raider; 12th February 2016 at 02:49 PM.

I say, good things come to those that wait.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Smint is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Would be nice if they updated their website but it's true social media is now often used for things like this.

Well said Trent. There is incessant complaining / questioning which is not cool. And there is calmly seeking an update for an order past its ETA by a reasonable amount of time. If something is posted on the website to land in December and it gets to mid January I'm going to ask the retailer for an update. I think that is reasonable. If the website is updated with a new ETA and / or I receive an email notification with a new ETA on my order (NY do this) then it would eliminate most of the unnecessary back and forth that takes place.

I also believe what feeds some of the angst is the fact that these pre orders are being prepaid up to 5 months in advance. It's only natural for people to get anxious.

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    I disagree that using social media is unprofessional... this is the way society is heading (like it or not) this forum is social media.
    Maybe I'm just old fashioned, or old LOL

I do get what you are saying though and it is absolutely necessary for any current business to have a social media space and it is how things are and/or are going; but to use that as your only platform for group or individual communication is not on and absolutely unprofessional when your market is, and not restricted to, G1 guys who are after MP's of their favourite characters. Yes I know that a lot of MP collectors aren't 30 plus, but put it this way, if you had an issue with a big chain like Myer or whoever would you think the best way of initial communication was through a public forum like facebook? As the customer I'd be pretty F'n pissed off if it took me to that point to try and illicit a reaction from the retailer.

There is no doubt that chucking a tantrum in the online public marketing world of facebook or other platforms can get results, but to me that should be the last resort, public shaming went out a long time ago (in most countries), but it's quicker and easier to do it now for the lazy angry keyboard warriors who want results yesterday for no price, and to me this goes back to the premise of the thread.

As you have stated this forum is social media and the warnings/reviews that many have given to us all about certain e-tailers are invaluable. But as an individual trying to make first contact to an e-tailer or retailer about an item that hasn't been sent or not received this is definitely not the place for it. On the flip side the e-tailer solely using a particular platform of social media to try and inform their customers of a delay of non-delivery is also not on. That is not customer service, that is a lazy assumption that everyone reads your posts online wherever that may be.
    We all have e-mails, they are as good as a mail box out the front of the house, if an e-tailer can't be assed to use that then they can GTFO imho.

Old man rant over
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    However, it is not unreasonable to enquire after the status of your order, when 3 weeks after purchasing an "in stock" item it has still not been posted. By now most people have caught on to the fact that when TFI say something is "in stock" it is really in stock with his supplier and may not get to him for several weeks. But it's highly annoying when you don't know this and he won't answer your emails. (And just to be clear, TFI is not the only Australian seller I have experienced this with. It's quite misleading)
    This isn't really what I was talking about. I was more talking about the need for constant updates on a pre-ordered item that was pre-ordered a number of months prior, and has only just started to come out globally. what you've described above is retail misrepresentation which is an entirely different thing.

I'm talking about:
    Where a local seller is packing and sending probably every day and some people are receiving items before others have been sent/notified that theirs is in the mail. when the expected date on the sellers website is a month long period as it was when the item was first listed for sale. When the delivery window has not been specified as anything more than that month, expecting updates telling you when your item will be shipped within that month is a bit much. a person has already waited for at least a month or more for an item after pre-order, another week or two knowing that it is due in a 3 to 4 week period doesn't warrant hassling a retailer for updates. I don't think. All it's going to do is slow them down sending parcels.

If a retailer sends out an email saying they are shipping item x over the following 2 weeks, it's not informative, that's already clear from the fact that people are starting to receive item x from them.
    If the retailer sits down and figures out when they will be sending item x to each person who ordered it and sends every single person a personalised email, it's a huge waste of time. Especially when they would have to do this for their entire inventory if they did it for just one item.

It's unfortunate that some people seem to not be receiving notification until their package arrives, that may be an issue with an email server somewhere. or an actual lack of communication, either from the supplier or the courier company. It doesn't seem particularly common from what I've been reading. Even if a notification isn't received, it's a bit silly to have something sent to a location you may or may not be at to receive a parcel.

anyway, I didn't really intend to start a thread full of cranky, I just had to get that off my chest, maybe this is a good place for that. or I should have just made a vent in the vents thread.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I just wish PC would update their expected arrival dates like BBTS do. It would be better than seeing a date that has been and gone.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.