Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ebay sellers with possible shill bids

I got the second chance offer from them of course at my highest bid. I asked to reduce the price to my winning bid over the 3rd bidder ($61.50EUR + shipping) but of course they declined that. The difference in price is only about $11AUD but on principle I reported another auction of theirs and refused their offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Not even subtle, are they. I reported them.
    Does the seller find out who or what auctions they get dobbed in on? If they do, considering I refused their second chance offer I guess they will assume it was me.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Not necessarily... and even if they did know it was you, and they block you from their auctions in future, would you really want to do business with them again if they shill bid AND block you because you don't fall for the scam.
    You could send that link to the seller, showing that the other person is a shill bidder by only ever bidding on his items, and ask him if he still wants to decline your counter-offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Not even subtle, are they. I reported them.
    I thought I might try to scare him by sending a message with links to the last few of his auctions and say he's been busted profiting from shill-bidding... but figured that if they are doing it intentionally (because the shill-bidder isn't a new/zero bidder), they wouldn't care enough to be bothered. So I looked up the last few of their completed auctions, and just reported all of them for shill-bidding instead. (at least different people reporting it, and not just a bidder, might make it look more significant)
    It's ebay's problem now.

It's just a shame you can't include a comment, to at least let them know where to start looking.

Looking at their "completed listings", they have tried unsuccessfully to sell some of the prints as BINs, for around US$200-300 each. Now that they tried auctioning them off to see what the true demand/value is, they obviously weren't happy about it.
    The thing I don't understand though, is that they had reserves on them, so I don't see why they'd even need to resort to shill-bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The thing I don't understand though, is that they had reserves on them, so I don't see why they'd even need to resort to shill-bidding.
    I guess they really want to move this poster on. First a high BIN, then a auction with a reserve, and finally an auction with reserve and a shill bidder to see how close to the reserve they could get.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose