Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BotCon 2014 news bits (and some photos)

Starting from the beginning, some samples of what else we got up to this year... Ultra Marginal, Dispensor and myself.

Monday 16th June.

The ToysRUs display at the store near the airport.

The NASA Jet Propulsion Labs tour...

Replica Voyager golden disk.

Flight Operations, which showed us that they have a relay station in Canberra.

The hotel we stayed at this year... cheaper, with free Internet, parking and breakfast.

The Convention Centre.

My first-day haul from a Target, ToysRUs and Walmart. That ended up being the bulk of my toys for this year, as very little was found in the Dealer Room or in stores later.

Yes, those are mini plushies at the front.

Some of the snack food I bought on the first day to sample.

Tuesday 17th June.

Warner Bros tour in the morning.

A nice clear, pollution-filled day in LA, with the CBD barely visible through the haze...

The lookout on Mulholland Drive, which we could see the City and the Hollywood sign.

And a building covered in Transformers banners some distance away.

Afternoon - TMZ tour.

Believe it or not, this is Cuba Gooding Junior trying to get our attention to say hello.

After the tour, at the Chinese Theatre, which had a premiere screening of some TV show.

Something I saw three times on three different tours in three days - a multi-million dollar Bugatti. (belongs to the owner of the clothing store, to attract people's attention)

Wednesday 18th June

After the Custom Class, Ultra Marginal and I checked out some stores... including a Walmart that had over 30 different flavours of Pringles.

Thursday 18th June.

On the LA Pre-Con tour during our lunch break at Santa Monica... I turned my back for a second, and Dispensor runs off to the sort of place that Rattrap would hang out at...

Friday 19th June.

My small Dealer Room purchases (usually I come back with a lot more than this... this was all I could find that I wanted or willing to pay).

I saw a dealer with four South American Mini-bots in ziplock bags, but he wanted US$250 for each!!!

My purchases for other people... which I have to process next.

Sunday 22nd June

After not finding anything to buy on Saturday in the Dealer Room, I found these few items on Sunday.

Just before the packing began in the evening... this was most of what I brought back (some extra items found the next day).

My return luggage... and I only went over there with the black bag and backpack.

The Sunday night Ozformers BotCon meet at IHOP that we proposed in the Meets topic a month or so ago... only ended up being Ultra Marginal and myself.
    More for us to eat...

IHOP is "International House of Pancakes", but obviously offers a lot more than just pancakes. Very nice, and very filling.

Monday 23rd June.
    Paramount Studios tour.

One of the guides told us that they are setting up a Transformers Props exhibit, which will be open in a few months time (probably for the tour),
    but we still managed to find some props scattered around the place...

Barricades lights and claws.

The Allspark cube that Sam carries around at the end of the movie.

Pieces from the TF2 Tomb of the Primes (made of styrofoam... and we were able to touch these things, carefully).

Chicago rubble from TF3.

Plus there was also the motorcycle helmet that Mikaela used in TF2.

In one of their Print vaults of movies they send out to Theatres and TV stations (in many different formats), I found TF2 on cassette.

Dr Phil's studio set.

Dispensor sitting on Dr Phil's wife's seat (she is at every episode in this seat).

And at The Doctors studio set.

Looks like Universal wasn't the only Studio backlot to lose a large part of their city sets to fire... Paramount lost their City backlot about 25 years earlier.

In the afternoon, on the way back to the Airport, Ultra Marginal and I checked out a Target and the ToysRUs we visited on the first day, and now I had these toys to fit into my luggage.
    Fortunately my black bag and backpack had enough room.

A long week with little sleep required a bit of caffeine by the end... not that I was able to get to any...

Those are some awesome pictures and a great read in that last post. It looks like you must of had a lot of fun. In the picture of the Rover, I was looking to see if you managed to get Dispenser on there somewhere

I can't wait to go out to one of these some year in the near future.

Dispensor got up to a lot more mischief than just those photos... and there is a lot more commentary to come with the photos above in the full report, to explain him being in some of them.

I think Ultra Marginal found it a bit amusing too, with some of the antics Dispensor was getting up to.

I also wanted to note that we crossed paths with Paul Agnew during the Convention, but mostly just the first few days like the Custom Classes.
    I don't think any other Australians ended up going this year... if they did, none of us three saw or met them.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Dispensor got up to a lot more mischief than just those photos... and there is a lot more commentary to come with the photos above in the full report, to explain him being in some of them.

I think Ultra Marginal found it a bit amusing too, with some of the antics Dispensor was getting up to.

I also wanted to note that we crossed paths with Paul Agnew during the Convention, but mostly just the first few days like the Custom Classes.
    I don't think any other Australians ended up going this year... if they did, none of us three saw or met them.
    I look forward to seeing some more commentary - So you didn't see many Australians in general at the con?

Awesome stuff man, this has made me more hungry to do a BotCon or at least TF Con next year.

Love these reports/ pictures Bossbot. Always makes me feel that I am there.

A group shot of this year's BotCon toys...

No wait... that's not right.

Some comparison photos of this years toys, with earlier versions. (poses courtesy of Christalcase)

Scorponok

Brimstone

Pounce & Wingspan

(Fire Guts God) Ginrai

Cannonball

Shokaract

Apelinq

Flare-up & Flamewar

Primal Prime

Alpha Trion/Trizer

No photo of Ferak and Devcon, since they weren't homaging previous toys.
    Last edited by griffin; 21st July 2014 at 11:22 PM.

Awesome pics Grif!

Amazing comparison pics, Griffin. Almost had a heart attack when I saw that 1st photo. I thought......they are not what I bought.

Cool comparisons.

So Scorponok's purple and green are both not quite a match, but Ginrai and Shokaract look really close.

Brimstone is quite effective and not a character/toy match I'd ever had thought of. Pounce and Wingspan are the two to get. Cannonball's good too, shame about the leg problems - getting a MISB one would be a bit of a lucky dip.. Wouldn't mind Flamewar if I was going to get a repaint of Arcee.