6 18.75%
  • I refuse to have anything to do with it

1 3.13%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (JULY-2013) Armada Era - Rate it

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    jamesdave Guest

I liked Armada very much back in the day and I will rate it the best.
    Last edited by jamesdave; 7th January 2018 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdave View Post
    I liked Armada very much back in the day and I will rate it the best.
    Is this the winner of thread necromancy for 2017...

Last post 2013...

I enjoyed both the Toyline and even the cartoon. If it wasn't for Armada pretty sure I would not have gotten back into Transformers. Everything aside if it wasn't for Armada we wouldn't have a Unicron figure.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Wasn't massively keen on the cartoon but damn did they have some fantastic toys ! And look at the average size of them compared to what classifies as a deluxe now The mini-cons also added a lot of play value to those bigger figures as well. One of the better ones in my opinion (they gave us Unicron for Primus sake!!!)
    Ironically when I made that post 5 years ago I think I was still a Basic member and as such couldn't post pics

So here finally is my Armada collection

The only other 'Armada' figure I've picked up since the above very old pic is Snarl, since his alt-mode was the most G1 reminiscent before the new POTP version got released

^Nice.

I miss my Armada collection.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

That collection is amazing.

I completely missed the Armada era toys but always did admire their gimmicks and of course the introduction of the first mass-produced Unicron toy, the largest Transformer toy for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ae-Evolution View Post
    The first Transformers series I ever saw. Can't say it was the best ones, but I loved it at the time, still enjoy it now. My first figures were from the series, Powerlinx Jetfire and Overload (Then Optimus ~9 years later).
    Damn you be young!

<feeling.old>

---------------------------------

On another note... despite this franchise being called "Armada" there's a distinct absence of any actual armada. The Mini-Cons fled Cybertron in a single refugee ship... hardly an armada. And the Autobots and Decepticons travelled to Earth via warp/space bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    On another note... despite this franchise being called "Armada" there's a distinct absence of any actual armada. The Mini-Cons fled Cybertron in a single refugee ship... hardly an armada. And the Autobots and Decepticons travelled to Earth via warp/space bridge.
    Really? I say they are using the origins of the word armada

Origin:
    mid 16th century: from Spanish, from armata, feminine past participle of Latin armare 'to arm'
    Thankyou Dictionary

You know... after all this time, I have never seen (officially or unofficially) anyone explain that this was why that series was called Armada. It makes sense now, after all these years scoffing at that name not making any sense in any of the stories (cartoon, comic, game, etc).
    If it really was called Armada because of its Spanish meaning, it would have been nice to have someone from Hasbro make (obvious) mention of it (on the packaging, or have it noted in the comic or cartoon).

While the word armāre means to "arm", contextually "armāta" refers to an armed force, which in naval terms would be an armed fleet. AFAIK the second declension of this would would be "armus", which in the nominative plural would be "armī", which is where English gets the word army from. So just as you wouldn't have an "army" of one soldier, so too you can't have an "armada" of just one ship... especially when it's carrying asylum seeking Mini-Cons and not equipped for cosmic naval warfare like say an actual space-worthy fleet of Imperial Star Destroyers.

In any case, the word "Armada" (not armāta) means "a fleet of warships." After all, the word "science" in English means "the systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation," but it comes from the Latin word "scientia" which means to 'know' or 'understand,' thus any form of knowing or understanding is "scientia," but not necessarily "science." (it's national science week this week btw )