Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Know How to Make Your Own Optimus Trailer

Default Does Anyone Know How to Make Your Own Optimus Trailer

I want a trailer for my CW Optimus Prime, does anyone know how to make one. I'd like the trailer to split in half if possible, like the G1 toy, and I would like the rear door to open as well.

Thanks
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

I guess it depends for the finish you're looking for?

if you're not overly worried about scale you might be able to find a loose trailer on eBay from one of the many other optimus prime toys that have been released over the years.

If you're not worried about finish, some quality card, paint, skill and parts from other toys for things like wheels might be enough to make a trailer from scratch.
    An alternative material could be thin ply or Perspex, though harder to work with but you should be able to get it cut to size at Bunnings if you don't have the tools at home.

If you wanted to go upmarket, you could use a cheap/trial period on a CAD package to design you're own and then get it 3D printed either locally here in Australia or through a company like shapeways. But you'll only have 30 days to get comfortable with the CAD package and complete your design if you use the trial period method. 123D is a pretty good free package.

There are also a couple independent Trailers on the market out there but none made to fit this specific toy, and I'm not condoning the purchase of such items here.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

123D while good, is quite limited in what it can do. I have had no end of frustration with it with the few things I have designed in it. The advantage is that it is quite easy to learn how to use.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Would Fansproject's G3 trailer be able to be modified to suit? It's a pretty awesome trailer that is still quite easy to get a hold of at a decent price. If the hitch could be modified then it would probably work well.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    123D while good, is quite limited in what it can do. I have had no end of frustration with it with the few things I have designed in it. The advantage is that it is quite easy to learn how to use.
    ha ha, all free CAD is limited, I would have suggested CATIA. but you know $12000 license and all that.

Would Fansproject's G3 trailer be able to be modified to suit? It's a pretty awesome trailer that is still quite easy to get a hold of at a decent price. If the hitch could be modified then it would probably work well.
    I'll try and get around to taking a photo of it with Motormaster some time this week.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I'll try and get around to taking a photo of it with Motormaster some time this week.
    That'd be nice thanks.

I thought the same thing, but no real need to modify the trailer, just stick something in the peg hole that's in the centre of OP's legs when closed - one of those Lego pieces that's shaped like OP's weapon handles at one end should work - something like the grey pieces in this image looks like it may fit, and should be enough to snag the trailer.

Does CW Optimus Prime have any kind of trailer hitch on the truck mode? If so, you might try experimenting by seeing if CW Optimus Prime can attach to any pre-existing OP trailers. Cos I know that RtS Deluxe Class Optimus Prime is reverse-compatible with G2 Laser Optimus Prime's trailer.

Perhaps some of our other members here might be kind enough to help out. I don't have a CW Optimus Prime, but I do have CW Motormaster, so I might try it out with him later this week or next.

Yeah it does have a hitch, but it is a wierd one because it is mainly made to accomidate his guns with a wierd lego like hole thing.

I also don't have any Optimus trailers