Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia


Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Info and Activities > Kup's Discussions and Questions

Sightings/Sales

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #841  
Old 20th March 2017, 10:50 PM
GoktimusPrime's Avatar
GoktimusPrime GoktimusPrime is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 27th Dec 2007
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 34,180
Default

Just don't ever try connected a G1 Predator Jet with MW Starscream's scope. It works just fine on Skyquake, but for some reason MW Starscream's is just way too tight. I haven't been game to try it on King Atlas.
Reply With Quote
  #842  
Old 25th March 2017, 10:15 PM
FatalityPitt's Avatar
FatalityPitt FatalityPitt is offline
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member
 
Join Date: 11th Sep 2016
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 661
Default

Dark of the Moon Guzzle could pass off as a CHUG G1 Guzzle. The resemblance is uncanny.
__________________
The most complex things are just the sum of many simple parts.
Reply With Quote
  #843  
Old 27th March 2017, 09:39 PM
GoktimusPrime's Avatar
GoktimusPrime GoktimusPrime is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 27th Dec 2007
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 34,180
Default

"Decepticon" basically translates as "You are being deceived" - Megatron's call to arms.

"Decepticon" itself is obviously an invented word that comes from 'deception.' But 'deception' comes from the Old French word decepcion, which looks and sounds more like "Decepticon." And "decepcion" comes from the Latin word dēcipiō ("to mislead").

For those who may not know, Latin words transform in order to denote variations in meaning. We call these different modes "declensions." Dēcipiō is the Third Conjugation of the word "dēceptus" (deceived, cheated). But of course, Megatron isn't saying that people have been deceived, he's saying that they are being deceived, and for this we need to look at the second-person plural present passive imperative form of dēcipiō, which is DECIPIMINI. Translation: "You are being deceived."

Now I'm under no illusion that Bob Budiansky had any of this in mind when he made the word "Decepticon" back in 1984. They're deceptive Evil Decepticons(TM), boo! And obviously "Autobot" was simply a portmanteau of "automobile" and "robot" (since all the first year Autobots were automobiles), but of course in the IDW universe it initially was a shortening of "automaton robots," then "autonomous robots." But I think it is cool that current continuity has given these names far greater depth in their meaning than initially intended.
Reply With Quote
  #844  
Old 28th March 2017, 09:26 AM
Megatron's Avatar
Megatron Megatron is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 14th Sep 2012
Location: Secret Decepticon HQ, Earth
Posts: 1,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
"Decepticon" basically translates as "You are being deceived" - Megatron's call to arms.

"Decepticon" itself is obviously an invented word that comes from 'deception.' But 'deception' comes from the Old French word decepcion, which looks and sounds more like "Decepticon." And "decepcion" comes from the Latin word dēcipiō ("to mislead").

For those who may not know, Latin words transform in order to denote variations in meaning. We call these different modes "declensions." Dēcipiō is the Third Conjugation of the word "dēceptus" (deceived, cheated). But of course, Megatron isn't saying that people have been deceived, he's saying that they are being deceived, and for this we need to look at the second-person plural present passive imperative form of dēcipiō, which is DECIPIMINI. Translation: "You are being deceived."

Now I'm under no illusion that Bob Budiansky had any of this in mind when he made the word "Decepticon" back in 1984. They're deceptive Evil Decepticons(TM), boo! And obviously "Autobot" was simply a portmanteau of "automobile" and "robot" (since all the first year Autobots were automobiles), but of course in the IDW universe it initially was a shortening of "automaton robots," then "autonomous robots." But I think it is cool that current continuity has given these names far greater depth in their meaning than initially intended.
I disagree with your interpretation. (Who is doing the deceiving and who is being deceived?) There are other possible interpretations for the word "Decepticon" that haven't even been considered yet (also for "Autobot"). It's not important what those other possibilities are at this time so I won't mention them here, as my only intention is to point out that your translation is not final or absolute, though you make it sound like you have authority on the issue, when you do not.
__________________
Decepticons Forever

My Fan Fiction: Lexicon | Fanfiction.net | @CrysDecepticon I'm With Q
Reply With Quote
  #845  
Old 28th March 2017, 09:39 AM
GoktimusPrime's Avatar
GoktimusPrime GoktimusPrime is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 27th Dec 2007
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 34,180
Default

I'm only talking about the definitions of "Autobot" and "Decepticon" as explicitly stated in the IDW comics. I realise that other continuities do not share this definition, which I also explicitly disclaimed.

References:
Chaos Theory, Part 2
Shadowplay, Part 1: Post Hoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
Now I'm under no illusion that Bob Budiansky had any of this in mind when he made the word "Decepticon" back in 1984. They're deceptive Evil Decepticons(TM), boo! And obviously "Autobot" was simply a portmanteau of "automobile" and "robot" (since all the first year Autobots were automobiles), but of course in the IDW universe it initially was a shortening of "automaton robots," then "autonomous robots." But I think it is cool that current continuity has given these names far greater depth in their meaning than initially intended.
IDW's G1 continuity has no relation to any other continuity. It is not a retcon.
Reply With Quote
  #846  
Old 28th March 2017, 09:48 AM
griffin's Avatar
griffin griffin is offline
Rank 10 - Admin
 
Join Date: 24th May 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 31,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
I disagree with your interpretation. (Who is doing the deceiving and who is being deceived?) There are other possible interpretations for the word "Decepticon" that haven't even been considered yet (also for "Autobot"). It's not important what those other possibilities are at this time so I won't mention them here, as my only intention is to point out that your translation is not final or absolute, though you make it sound like you have authority on the issue, when you do not.
Setting aside the more recent retcons, Bob Budiansky is an authority, for creating the original names and story, and I recall somewhere (probably BotCon) him saying that Autobot was derived from automobile, and Decepticon was derived from deception. Which was why they were also labelled as "heroic" and "evil", and characters like Megatron were given negative or evil sounding names (remember the story about Hasbro wanting Bob to rename Megatron because they thought it sounded too evil for a kids toyline and cartoon).
And as we also know, Bob loved to use Latin and Greek with his Transformers names and places. I remember writing an essay back in the 90s about all the names of Greek and Latin origin in an attempt to solve the debate (at that time) of the spelling of Elita-1.
Reply With Quote
  #847  
Old 28th March 2017, 09:54 AM
Raider's Avatar
Raider Raider is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 21st Jul 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
I remember writing an essay back in the 90s about all the names of Greek and Latin origin in an attempt to solve the debate (at that time) of the spelling of Elita-1.
I am unfamiliar with this debate. Were you right?
__________________
Check out my:
Collection Thread
Want's List
Sales Thread
Reply With Quote
  #848  
Old 28th March 2017, 11:38 AM
GoktimusPrime's Avatar
GoktimusPrime GoktimusPrime is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 27th Dec 2007
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 34,180
Default

Elita is obviously taken from the word "elite" which is actually French (Úlite) but descendant from the Latin word 'eligere,' which - to make a long story short - is a variation of the word 'electum' (to choose or elect).

But yeah, Budiansky certainly did have a penchant for Greek-Latin names...
Cybertron, Auto(bot), Decepticon, Optimus Prime, Megatron, (Wind)charger, Trail(breaker), Barr(age), Shrapnel, Mir(age), Inferno, Perceptor, Metroplex et al. And it's a trend which IDW have followed as well with names like Caminus, Aequitas, conjunx amicus/amica, conjunx endura, empurata, Pyra Magna, Victori(on), Pharma et al.
Reply With Quote
  #849  
Old 28th March 2017, 11:55 PM
Megatran
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
I disagree with your interpretation. (Who is doing the deceiving and who is being deceived?) There are other possible interpretations for the word "Decepticon" that haven't even been considered yet (also for "Autobot"). It's not important what those other possibilities are at this time so I won't mention them here, as my only intention is to point out that your translation is not final or absolute, though you make it sound like you have authority on the issue, when you do not.
Dem fighting words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
Setting aside the more recent retcons, Bob Budiansky is an authority, for creating the original names and story, and I recall somewhere (probably BotCon) him saying that Autobot was derived from automobile, and Decepticon was derived from deception. Which was why they were also labelled as "heroic" and "evil", and characters like Megatron were given negative or evil sounding names (remember the story about Hasbro wanting Bob to rename Megatron because they thought it sounded too evil for a kids toyline and cartoon).
And as we also know, Bob loved to use Latin and Greek with his Transformers names and places. I remember writing an essay back in the 90s about all the names of Greek and Latin origin in an attempt to solve the debate (at that time) of the spelling of Elita-1.
Come to think of it, I've never thought of the name Megatron as a negative or evil sounding name. To me, it ilicits a figure of strong & immense stature such as a leader.

Negatron, on the other hand, does sound very negative. And fortunately Negatron only appears very briefly ... in an episode of Family Guy.
Reply With Quote
  #850  
Old 29th March 2017, 12:46 AM
griffin's Avatar
griffin griffin is offline
Rank 10 - Admin
 
Join Date: 24th May 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 31,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
I am unfamiliar with this debate. Were you right?
Back when the internet was new for Transformers fans (mid 90s) and there was little or no access/interaction with official sources (or resources like the Original Series Bible), the online fandom would debate topics, like the colour of Rumble and Frenzy, where does Optimus' trailer go when he transforms, and what is the spelling of Elita-1.
Because in the Original series cartoon, her name was pronounced two different ways, depending on the voice actor and what vowels are emphasised. Either it was Elita/Eleeta (pronounced as "elite" at the start of the name, but was said by Starscream with heavy sarcasm, leading many to believe that it wasn't her actual name), or Aleta/Alita (pronounced with "ah" on the front, which was the majority of the times it was spoken in the cartoon).

At the time, (and before the Bible had the name in print to end the debate), neither spelling seemed to be derived from anything that I thought made sense (based on her character traits and powers), so I looked for an alternative spelling... which I can't actually remember, but it meant something like a burst of power - something that her character did in one episode to stop time.
(this was all about 20 years ago now, so I'm guessing a lot of it now)

Suffice to say, my third spelling didn't get picked up by anyone, and within a few years we had the official spelling revealed/confirmed, ending all future debates on the matter.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.