Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hardware and building thread

From the Fractal web site:

Dedicated 2.5" drive capacity 3 (maximum 2.5" drive thickness is 12mm)

Yeah I know the size isnt an issue, was more concerned with the moving vs non-moving parts aspect... ah well, other than a bit of noise it shouldnt be an issue

As long as you don't go moving a PC while the drives are spun up (that applies to laptops also) it doesn't matter if you go HDD or SSD aside from the obvious performance differences.

Thanks for he confirmation. Been reading tales from tech support on Reddit and started getting a little backup paranoid.

Ive just bought a nice large capacity portable HDD and backed up my entire photo library. System disk will be next. Games can be re downloaded/installed so will be a waste of time/money backing up.

Then back to saving for a GPU...

In the same vein as Ultra Marginal's question, I too am in the market for a new PC. Our laptop is 8 years old and really showing it so it's time to move on. And this time I'll go for a desktop. However when I last built a PC, AGP cards were the in thing.

This build will be on a budget. Is it still possible to build a decent PC (tower only) for around $1K? While I would like a gaming rig, I have a PS4 and a Switch and with money being tight at the moment I'll forgo that requirement. I will however be playing with some 3D CAD programs and also a little bit of video editing. However the bread and butter of this machine is going to be basic word processing and Internet browsing with a dual monitor setup. Even if I skimp on some bits now with the vision of upgrading later down the road as finances improve.

I am open to the idea of second hand parts. How's that market these days?

Thanks!
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Here's a build that's a little over $1000. I don't know what you like visually so the parts are just good value parts not the best looking/most cohesive, also it doesn't include a copy of Windows 10.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/LjWWYr

On $1000AUD budget you're stuck with 8gb of RAM when you should probably have 16gb for CAD, but by going with a single 8gb stick you can easily upgrade by adding a second later on.

Ryzen is your best bet for CPU and motherboard combo for CAD due to the lower motherboard cost and the high core count on the CPU.

You mentioned CAD as the only thing that will require GPU acceleration of any sort. 1050 Ti a good low end GPU, you could go with a standard 1050 but it's not quite as good on the price to performance ratio.

On the PSU side if you want to save a bit of money you can go with a lower model to save money like the Corsair VS range but stick to the top teir brands like Corsair. A lower tier or no name brand can potentially kill your hardware or catch on fire.

CAD requirements aren't so top end these days like they used to be. unless you're working on a complex assembly with many active parts or rendering something super pretty you're video processor requirements won't be outlandish. You still need a nice video card but don't worry about anything outlandish.

I expect video processing/editing/rendering will have a higher load on your system.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Here's a build that's a little over $1000. I don't know what you like visually so the parts are just good value parts not the best looking/most cohesive, also it doesn't include a copy of Windows 10.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/LjWWYr

On $1000AUD budget you're stuck with 8gb of RAM when you should probably have 16gb for CAD, but by going with a single 8gb stick you can easily upgrade by adding a second later on.

Ryzen is your best bet for CPU and motherboard combo for CAD due to the lower motherboard cost and the high core count on the CPU.

You mentioned CAD as the only thing that will require GPU acceleration of any sort. 1050 Ti a good low end GPU, you could go with a standard 1050 but it's not quite as good on the price to performance ratio.

On the PSU side if you want to save a bit of money you can go with a lower model to save money like the Corsair VS range but stick to the top teir brands like Corsair. A lower tier or no name brand can potentially kill your hardware or catch on fire.
    Cool, thanks!

I've been out of this game for a long time and was never super good at it to begin with but that seems pretty reasonable. I'd probably fork out the extra for more RAM but will have to see how finances pan out. I can always add it later. The main thing is that wifey isn't left with no home computer to do all her work on.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    CAD requirements aren't so top end these days like they used to be. unless you're working on a complex assembly with many active parts or rendering something super pretty you're video processor requirements won't be outlandish. You still need a nice video card but don't worry about anything outlandish.

I expect video processing/editing/rendering will have a higher load on your system.
    Yeah my CAD requirements will be minimal. But I'd like to try out some video editing as later in the year I'm hoping to have enoughsaved to buy a drone.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Trent there is a video that's coming up on Linus Tech Tips specifically about CAD performance. It's on their paid early access platform at the moment so I've seen it and if CAD is important to you I'm going to change my recommendations.

Apparently single threaded performance is king for CAD as far as CPUs go, so if CAD is important you should probably get whatever is in your budget between the Intel 8350k, 8600k and 8700k teamed with a Z370 motherboard and overclocked. The 8350k is about $240 AUD and frankly with 4 cores that can be overclocked to around 5ghz it's a pretty good CPU for anything except highly multi threaded workloads, which you are not doing. (yes videos render faster with more cores, but the actual editing is much faster on fast single threaded machines)

16gb of RAM is a minimum requirement for CAD, but unless your doing a model with over 500 parts you don't need to go beyond 16gb.

For the video card Nvidia's Geforce line turns out to suck at CAD. Your best bet on the consumer side is to buy an AMD Radeon RX500 series card. While the Nvidia Quadro line is the best at CAD it's also uber expensive.

Unfortunately Intel CPU's are more expensive than AMD CPUs because Intel simply charges more and AMD graphics cards are more expensive than their Nvidia equivalent due to cryptomining.

Here's an updated build that will hopefully work better overall for you for not much more than the first build I created for you.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/6rxV3b

this is very interesting information, I was aware of some of this but not all. I think I'll be looking our for that video myself.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)