Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Secret Sightings Section idea

It's not like we are going to prevent non-members here from having a chance, as there are supposed to be 800 Soundwaves across the 35 ToysRUs stores. We don't have that many people here wanting one.

In relation to people claiming it is "elitist" of us trying to secure these types of toys - It isn't elitist if TRU have specifically stated that we (the dedicated collectors) are the ones they are targeting with these types of exclusives.... which they go to some trouble organising.

Something they won't do in future if the people they are targeting (us) just not bother to go into the store and instead import items, believing we are likely to miss out due to people who don't need them (scalpers) and people who won't appreciate them (parents/kids buying a random toy).

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    .... which they go to some trouble organising.

Something they won't do in future if the people they are targeting (us) just not bother to go into the store and instead import items, believing we are likely to miss out due to people who don't need them (scalpers) and people who won't appreciate them (parents/kids buying a random toy).
    This statement makes no sense. Even if scalpers do not exist and kids/parents will not be able to afford this toy; the only reason why I would not bother patronising a TRU is if they are not "first-to-market" or if their prices are higher than import+shipping.

Secondly I will not feel obligated to participate in mass-buying simply to encourage a retailer to import things I like in future.

23 soundwaves per store may or may not be the ideal number to bring into Australia for them to make a decent profit but thats on them, not us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    the only reason why I would not bother patronising a TRU is if they are not "first-to-market" or if their prices are higher than import+shipping.
    Apparently (based on comments here in the past) a lot of people would prefer to pay more at TRU than import, because it is easier and more reliable. There is still a limit though, like with Ghost Starscream, and even still people would rather skip it than go to the hassle of finding one online and waiting for it to (maybe) show up... and then not have the ability to exchange it when the inevitable QC issue is found.

In the end TRU will still order in items that should sell, to someone... and if it causes their frontline staff grief, the head-office doesn't seem too worried about it.

I think the idea of a logged-in members only forum for sightings is worth it. It's not hard to join up, read some discussions, make some purchases or chime in on a few topics. I did it just recently.

It's a collector's forum and I think it's not a case of "OMG BUY ALL STOCK", but it certainly helps sightings, and people passing on information to each other.

I'd rather know that it's not just a case of people jumping on, reading, buying stock en mass, and not even contributing to the community.

The reason I say that is there have been a lot of sales here that are good members selling good items at very fair prices. That's the kind of people this board seems to attract, and that's exceptionally positive. I dug finding two items I was chasing, in my city, and bought at a more than fair price from a fellow boardie.

A hell of a lot better than having someone find something, post it's sighting, and having a scalper buy the shelf before you can make it to the store. That's something I (honestly believe) saw happen to me just last week.

As I said, I joined up because I wanted to get involved. It's not hard to do so either.

So what would this mean for someone like me who has over 1600 TFs and I have been collecting for 28yrs but only of a rank 3?

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    So what would this mean for someone like me who has over 1600 TFs and I have been collecting for 28yrs but only of a rank 3?
    Nothing, as the *hypothetical* system is based on board participation, not collection-size or loyalty to the brand.

You're right, it may seem a bit unfair that someone collecting for 6 months could theoretically get a choice tip on a hot new figure, over someone who's been doing this for 10 years. But that hypothetical person/people should realise what the purpose of community is, and that they're welcome to the same information, they just have to participate (and participate means exactly that. You don't have to provide insider info on who MP30 is to count. It's introducing yourself, and participating).

The flipside to the loyalty to the brand thing is that if you've got a hot tip on a highly desirable figure, do you want it to go to others who participate actively to make the board what it is, and possibly provide reciprocal tips for other items that could aid you, or some random guy who just types in the address once a year to get the new MP, and if he knows that someone's reserved one, he can say that it was him and they got the name wrong and take it (happened to me once with a Star Wars item).

Exact rank is kind of a moot point for this stage of a very hypothetical idea. But personally, I'd be fine with being excluded, because all it would mean is that I need to contribute more of myself to discussions, you know.

After all, my chances to get the item would be the same as they've always been. I just wouldn't get that additional heads-up that increases my chances of getting it. People would still see that the toy is out, just not the specifics, and probably not for more than a week or two.

If it's just me, my odds of successfully finding that elusive desirable item is *1*. With additional, specific sightings info that I get from the collective knowledge and experiences of the board, my odds increase to *1.10*, maybe. I still have to be on here at the right time to see the post for my area, if it's something that's snapped up so quickly. So it's very situational. Your benefit would be a matter of hours for a sighting, not days, really.

*All that is just IMO, and from what I think the general groove of the conversation has been. I could be completely wrong, and could be projecting my own thoughts on it a bit much.

** There are counterpoints to everything I've said that are just as valid. My key words are 'community' and 'participation'.

Could we get like a survey or something for the amount of people wanting each product that is hard to find, such as the amount hoping to get a Hasbro Soundwave, to get a better approximation?

I went to Hong Kong at the begining of June this year and guys I'm telling you you have to go there with an empty suitcase and a minimum of AUD2000 for TF toys and they have almost every MP you want. but the shops are hidden in towers and warehouses you gotta google the shops and go searching I brought back a few things from there including a spare head (AU25) for my 1 metre Optimus prime tower!! I wish I took more money

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    The ranking system is just a reciprocating system... the more people interact here in the fan sections (news, sightings, discussion), the more they get back from the benefits of the higher rankings.
    It isn't an elitist thing, for people to boast about their rankings... it is just there to make it easier for members (particularly staff and senior members) to know who has access to certain things here, because it isn't easy to remember what everyone has access to, and a post-count doesn't guarantee it either (as some people leave, or are sporadic... or they primarily just post in the sales and/or non-TFs sections so haven't earned access to fan-related extras).

I also try to include as many fans as possible in the higher rankings who contribute in other ways - like, people who attend meets more than they post here*, or were Ozformers members before our messageboard even started up but are more sporadic now. Which is why a very small handful of Deluxe Members have small post counts. It doesn't come down to how long you were a fan or how many toys you have... if you interact here or have contributed to the local fandom, this site will try to reward you. If a person isn't here very often or doesn't contribute, isn't it a waste giving them access to extra features here?

*This is one of the reasons I like travelling around the country (as I've been doing in the last few months), to try to meet up with people who may not be too active on the board, but contribute by attending the meets (making them more fun by having more people). After doing Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane so far this year, I have two more capital cities I plan to visit before the end of 2013... so am hoping to add more people to the roster soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Could we get like a survey or something for the amount of people wanting each product that is hard to find, such as the amount hoping to get a Hasbro Soundwave, to get a better approximation?
    Just look at what happened with TRU Hasbro MP Prime. That kind of demand would probably happen.