Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Takara Tomy's and Hasbro's stance on 3rd party bots?

I was about to ask if anyone was experiencing similar issues to myself with TFW. That was a quick and hard blow. If TFW has indeed been shut down, you're looking a massive fan-rage apocalypse. It's pretty lucky we have our own boards here. It must suck for those who don't have any other community besides TFW to fall back on. So much was invested into TFW. Collection threads, discussions, billions of photos that may be gone.

This is a big dick move on Hasbro's part. Having a quiet word would have done the job.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Barring further news I'm going to pull an Ockham's Razor and go with "actual server migration issues" until more information comes out and/or time passes.

That said, methinks there may be a certain amount of 'closing the stable door after the horse has bolted' if the rumours are true, and it's definitely a big loss/blow to 'the fandom' if so, since as has been mentioned TFW is/was quite the major online TF-fan page. Similarly, the nature of the internet is that new sites can spring up just as quickly as HTT could try to shut them down, so if - again, if - it is a HTT-inspired move then it seems like more trouble than it's worth in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Well, it looks like Hasbro just started caring. TFW2005 is down right now, because it "got hit with several DCMAs from Hasbro at around 3am this morning. Apparently the site had been "Overenthusiastically promoting products not licensed or produced by Hasbro that were protected properties." Things are not looking good right now. That's all I can say at this time." Big news.
    Where were the quotes from? Is there a source you can link to, or just private messages making it through the grapevine?

Guess who's back. Back again. Shady's back. Tell a friend.

In other words, TFW are back up.

I wonder why they didn't give some warning to being offline during the transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Where were the quotes from? Is there a source you can link to, or just private messages making it through the grapevine?
    Never mind, I found someone quoting a post that doesn't exist anymore.

It's good to hear that this wasn't the end of TFW, and my suspicious mind over the timing certainly made today very interesting.

I think they moved to a Canadian server (someone with tech skills may be able to tell for sure), so if that is true, I wonder if they moved it after threats by Hasbro, so that Hasbro then can't use the more powerful American laws to shut them down.

Either way, they didn't remove any 3rd Party stuff from their news page, so either it was never an issue, or now they are located the site so that they can keep doing it.

There's nothing quite like some wild speculation thrown around in the absence of facts. If nothing else, it lets our imaginations run wild
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Oh - well that's a lot less exciting. It was quite quick-witted for someone to make up the DCMA thing. Very weird that they didn't warn people it was going to be down. Sorry for the confusion!

Well that was a lot of huffing and puffing.

I'm only a TFW visitor on an as-needs basis but I noticed they now that a news feed option that excludes 3rd party stuff. Is that new? It's not the default though.

Nah, that's been there for ages. They've got one that excludes Movie news too.

Re. the DCMA thing, I checked out their Facebook group last night and there was a comment from someone claiming a mate of theirs was an admin at TFW, and their friend had told them about the DCMA thing. So yeah, PMs through the grapevine.