Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3949545556575859606162636469 ... LastLast

Thread: The Food Thread - comments and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Hjs also dropped the Angus beef selection so is kinda left me they not interested in better burgers.
    They might have dropped it from their regular menu, but it is back as three special burgers. (the bbq one is really delicious too, tasting like a restaurant burger than a fast food burger)

The Angus beef was only showing up a few years ago everywhere because the price of beef was down globally, and the glut had seen our export beef (the good stuff like Angus and Wagyu) end up staying in Australia.
    It was never going to be permanent, but younger folk would probably think it was because they don't remember back to when we never saw it in fast food places. And I imagine that the price of beef has been going up again, so you will see less of it in fast food places, and more often a limited edition, expensive item, if at all. (until the price of beef exports plummets again)

Speaking of burgers... how about this low-carb option - the Tomami Burger at MOS Burger.

Yes, that is a whole Tomato in place of a bun.

I don't think it is meant to be much of a seller, and I doubt anyone would buy it except for the novelty value, as those who like burgers are not usually fans of eating whole veges like tomatoes (actually a fruit), and those who would love eating a whole tomato probably wouldn't be too keen about it being contaminated with a beef patty and sauce.
    The person making it up for me had to refer to the burger construction guide several times, so it seemed that it was vary rarely bought at that location (and was probably his first time making one).
    It's $5.75, and has a Wagyu patty, Thousand Island sauce, onion and lettuce.

It's not all weird burgers at MOS Burger though, this month they have some really nice Wagyu Burgers, including this one called the works burger, with bacon, egg, beetroot, cheese, lettuce, and probably a few other things in there... I was too busy eating this delicious burger to notice.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Thanks for explaining the Angus at hjs.

Man we don't have mos burgers and we don't have Carl Jr.
    Luckily we do have good burger joints.

I don't think in n out will make an appearance here.

Megatran Guest

It was International Hot Dog Day last Saturday (23rd July). How does one celebrate? By holding a hot dog eating contest at Melbourne's Luna Park, of course. And the weiner winner is:
    Mens - 15 hot dogs
    Womens - 7 hot dogs

Ben & Jerry's icecream - the most expensive icecream you can get at retail, has been at Woolies for a couple years now, and has only been on sale once before... this week is the second time, at $3 off (from $12).
    Considering they are about AU$5 in American stores, this is probably the cheapest it gets in Australia for the "regular" varieties... but the more expensive "molten core" varieties have never been on sale, so the wait goes on (I'm not paying full price to try them).

The "Tonight Dough" (named for the Tonight Show, and has Jimmy Fallon on the tub), is one I recommended, with two flavours of icecream in the tub and two types of cookie dough chunks.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I had Ben and jerry for $2.50 from spud shed in Perth a while ago.

I find them very ordinary ice cream. Not that they are bad.

Woolworths has dropped the price on their 2 litre Pepsi range to just $2, not as a sale price, but as a "long term" regular price... not that I think it will stay like that for long because now they won't sell any of their 1.25 litre range as it is more expensive at $2.20. (which will force them to discount those ones at a loss when they get close to their use-by date)

Half price this week at Woolies - BBQ Meatlovers pizza flavoured Doritos chips.

It might sound bizzare, or you might think that it is just a promo name and couldn't possibly taste like a meatlovers pizza... you'd be wrong.
    Opening the bag, the smell is just like a meatlovers pizza... and then the taste, it's like, you are eating a slice, with all those processed meats.
    I got a couple of people to blind-test these, first by smelling them and then tasting them, and they both thought it was something very familiar, and were amazed at how much it was like a real meatlovers pizza.

Note though, that the bag is actually lighter than the regular size of Doritos (150g vs 170g), so it is best getting it on sale like right now... and I hope it becomes a regular flavour of theirs, as they are really delicious (I'm just not happy about them being about 12% smaller in pack size for the same price).

I bought those when they came out. They weren't too bad. But I'd be very surprised if they remain a long term flavour.

Megatran Guest

My local Coles have some new (international) food & beverage items.

Hooters Wing Breading
    CocaCola Cherry flavour (individual cans)
    Canada Dry Ginger Ale (individual cans)
    A&W Root Beer (indivdual cans)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post

Speaking of burgers... how about this low-carb option - the Tomami Burger at MOS Burger.

[IG]http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/d212.jpg[/IMG]

Yes, that is a whole Tomato in place of a bun.

I don't think it is meant to be much of a seller, and I doubt anyone would buy it except for the novelty value, as those who like burgers are not usually fans of eating whole veges like tomatoes (actually a fruit), and those who would love eating a whole tomato probably wouldn't be too keen about it being contaminated with a beef patty and sauce.
    The person making it up for me had to refer to the burger construction guide several times, so it seemed that it was vary rarely bought at that location (and was probably his first time making one).
    It's $5.75, and has a Wagyu patty, Thousand Island sauce, onion and lettuce.

It's not all weird burgers at MOS Burger though, this month they have some really nice Wagyu Burgers, including this one called the works burger, with bacon, egg, beetroot, cheese, lettuce, and probably a few other things in there... I was too busy eating this delicious burger to notice.
    [IG]http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/d213.jpg[/IMG]
    Love my tomatoes, but not sold on that Tomami burger, the second one looks mighty fine though. Will have to visit MOS burger when I head to Brisbane in a couple of months.

What else would you recommend by way of eateries to somebody who has never been to Brisbane before Griffin? (Gold Coast plenty of times however)