Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: The Soapbox XII: The Convenient Truth

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Well, here is a perfect example:

Impossible Toys (makers of the Quints), have just announced plans to make a G1-styled Arcee. Personally, there is no doubt in my mind that this will have a negative effect on Hasbro's ability to sell Animated Arcee, as many G1 purists have publicly stated that they're only buying it due to a lack of a G1-styled alternative.

One could argue that this is even more damaging to Hasbro than say, a KO Sunstreaker, as the KO interferes more with the second hand market than with Hasbro directly.

I wonder how many of you here who deride KOs will also consider purchasing this?
    When it comes to those things, Hasbro should also share some culpability as they had ample time to make a proper G1 Arcee toy for almost 25 years but repeatedly neglected to do so despite more than a few other 'fembot' released toys.

Hasbro's neglect of a section their market is what gives rise to such third party toys.
    Last edited by kup; 4th August 2009 at 11:09 AM.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post

I wonder how many of you here who deride KOs will also consider purchasing this?

Well put me down for two!

As much as the idea is nice, I personally would only purchase a HasTak G1 Arcee. For me, this is still just a custom.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I am also pretty sure that people who are inclined to buy this custom would also buy a legit G1 Arcee if she was ever released so it wouldn't be very damaging to sales.

I also deride KOs and will purchase several of these. Call me hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    When it comes to those things, Hasbro should also share some culpability as they had ample time to make a proper G1 Arcee toy.
    True. But as sole owner of the property, it is at their sole discretion. I don't know that "culpability" is the best way to put it. I think a better way to put it is that Hasbro haven't defended this part of their property from copyright infringement as well as they could have. They're not to blame, but their actions have indirectly led to a loss of revenue.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

HasTak should make a G1-style Arcee as part of Universe/Henkei.

But for the moment, we remain content to chastise the production of KOs while we happily accept the offerings of mass-custom producers.
    I certainly don't. I don't collect anything that is fan-made (my collection is after all, a (licensed/official) Transformers(r) collection). That's because I personally feel that they contaminate the purity of my collection.

As for this forum, I also don't condone promoting of unnofficial items, and make sure that any news items clearly state they are not official items. If it is an item that copies or aims to imitate an existing or upcoming figure (like Drift), I would probably even omit mentioning it in the news section, unless it is to warn people off of it (like we do with KOs/counterfiet figures).

As it was mentioned in an early posting in this topic, a fan-made, original accessory that actually encourages the purchase of a legitimate product, is much more desirable (probably even by Hasbro), than a copied product or accessory that prevents the purchase of a legitimate product.

Like,
    - Superion parts being available while Superion is still in stores, helps sell a combiner many weren't planning to buy.
    - Universe/Henkei Inferno ladder while Inferno is still available in stores, generates the same added interest in a currently released item.
    - As does Autoscout while Soundwave is in release.
    - City Commander being available while stores (mostly online stores) still had Ultra Magnus in stock, means more turnover of TFs inventory for that store, prompting them to continue ordering more of the brand. Same happened with the Cliffjumper add-on package.

None of those falsely claim to be a real Transformers product, or aim to replace an existing item. As such, each item is having a positive impact on Hasbro/Takara sales.

But,
    - A fan-made Drift toy is being produced despite it being announced by Hasbro that there will be an official toy soon, and people are less likely to buy both.
    - A Gen1-styled Arcee toy is along the same lines, if it is released before or during the retail sale of an official Gen1-styled Arcee toy in Animated packaging.
    - Masterpiece Convoy trailer is an example of what happens when there is an official release of a fan-made item. Even if it is already in circulation, additional first-hand and second-hand sales of the unnofficial product negatively impacts on the sale of the legitimate one. (it was because of this one that I don't risk buying fan-made stuff in case a real one is released and I need to replace it to keep the collection 'pure')

People purchasing a fan-made/KO figure (especially if it is cheaper or is an almost exact replica of the real thing) are less likely to purchase the real thing, and thus negatively impacts Hasbro/Takara sales.

Not to mention that Replica out-of-release figures (that don't directly impact on sales), irritates fans/collectors of real TFs products, who can no longer purchase an item with the piece of mind that it isn't a fake. It can also indirectly impacts on legitimate sales (albeit a negligible amount), by the occasional newbie/kid/parent who gets stung by a counterfeit, and gets turned off the whole franchise/fandom.

This isn't a criticism towards anyone here who buys fake TFs or items that compete with legitimate items, because there is too much demand overseas for cheap immitations for us (the fans) to ever stop it. If it really is a problem to Hasbro's bottom line, they need to step up, pull their finger out, stop all the talk, and do something affirmative about it for once.

As it stands, Hasbro and TakaraTomy will only spend more money on significant existing investments - the unreleased Animated toys and Titaniums Prowl & Grimlock already got to mould stage, so most of the expense has been made and they needed to be produced to offset the prior significant investment, as opposed to the other Titaniums (Arcee, Shockwave, Cosmos) which didn't get to mould stage, so not enough expense warranted taking them further to be produced.
    Replicas of past items are probably not of great concern to Hasbro/Takara, as it would be deemed a waste of money stopping them if they didn't feel that it would tarnish their brand's image enough with their continued existence.

With customizing of toys it should be for personal use only and through private commissions only. I like to see customizers work and admire it, but when someone builds up a reputation and starts selling them on ebay that to me is infringing on the intellectual property. Online stores selling custom kits, along with official transformer products, is misleading even though these products are unofficial and are stated to be. This stuff should be only privately produced.

And to be now hypocritical!
    I think the Quint customs are great! its a pity these customs are not produced by hasbro/takara.

And also I hate KO's I have one bad KO experience through ebay, and I will never recommend them to anyone, not even for customs. Get rid of them/ destroy them and take them out of circulation. I thought I had bought a legit product, even the picture looked legit, but the actual item I recieved was not.

I really don't think KO's hurt or have a huge impact on sales for Hasbro/Takara products, once you realize its fake and of poor quality you really have wasted your money and if you try to resale, personally I would feel guilty. But since you have already wasted your money it might be a while before you buy again. And I suppose this is a loss of a potential purchase of a legit product.