Thread: Retribution novel preview

Default Retribution novel preview

Out this week is the third Novel in the post-WFC trilogy - Retribution.
    A preview has been posted up on the Transformers Facebook page.

Since the Covenant of Primus book should cover the events of this book (as it is part of the Aligned Universe, between FOC/Exiles and TFPrime cartoon), but I doubt that it would have gone into too much detail in terms of spoilers... or else, people wouldn't need to buy this book to find out what happens.

(no, I haven't read all of the Covenant of Primus book yet to know if it is true)

I'm scared to get this one. The first book was barely readable, it has mistakes all over it that contradicted Prime and War for/Fall of Cybertron too much to be dismissed and ripped off lots of pre-existing transformers lore from various shows/comics, all while trying to make them work together.

The second book had no idea what it wanted to be, they decided to pretend that almost everything that had happened in book 1 no longer mattered and tried to fit the "thirteen" in to a Galaxy Force/Cybertron style planet fest.

No idea what this book will contradict/mess up/ confuse/ make hilarious!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I forgot all about this but just ordered it. I only read the first half of the first one but will get around to reading all three eventually.

It sounds like the whole pre-planning of the Aligned Universe didn't take into account the novels then... leaving those authors to create something on the fly, based on what limited info was known at the time.

I've got a copy of it and read a chapter or two as a sample and for an "aligned continuity" book it seems very G1 inspired. The description of the Nemesis sounds like it's describing the Decepticon ship in MTMTE part one.

But then Bumblebee beeps because he can't talk.

The back cover tells us "For decades, Transformers fans across the globe have marveled at the mighty clashes of Megatron and Optimus Prime, and speculated about their arrival on planet Earth."

Um no, we haven't speculated about their arrival on Earth for decades. Thirty years ago we were told how Transformers came to Earth in the cartoon, the comic, the ladybird books, the big looker books, the colouring books.

Perhaps they do mean Aligned Prime and Megatron, in which case it's been at most a few years not decades!

I'll read this eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    I'm scared to get this one. The first book was barely readable, it has mistakes all over it that contradicted Prime and War for/Fall of Cybertron too much to be dismissed and ripped off lots of pre-existing transformers lore from various shows/comics, all while trying to make them work together.

The second book had no idea what it wanted to be, they decided to pretend that almost everything that had happened in book 1 no longer mattered and tried to fit the "thirteen" in to a Galaxy Force/Cybertron style planet fest.

No idea what this book will contradict/mess up/ confuse/ make hilarious!

Complete agreement. If you read the characterizations, dialogue and plot from the Keepers Trilogy that was based on the Dreamwave continuity, then read this line of books you can see just how much these authors have no real idea of what they are dealing with. It's almost as if they are just trying to randomly chuck as many different facets from every Transformers game and cartoon in existence they can and then get it over with. I'll probably end up getting this book since I got the first two, but I can't say my hopes are high for a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    The back cover tells us "For decades, Transformers fans across the globe have marveled at the mighty clashes of Megatron and Optimus Prime, and speculated about their arrival on planet Earth."
    That is so bad, and so funny... and not in a good way.