Thread: Prototype Gen1 Minibots

Default Prototype Gen1 Minibots

Apparently Takara was originally planning to release the second year of Minibots (which Hasbro released in 1985 - Beachcomber, Seaspray, Powerglide, Warpath, Cosmos) in different colours... or in their Diaclone "pre-Transformers" line (I'm not sure which is being referred to in the source article).

About 10 years ago when the Minibots were reissued in Japan, Ehobby did a redeco set, which included three of these in those originally planned colours (Powerglide, Cosmos, Warpath)... and an image was released of all five in a group battle scene (but not a clear image though).

Now there are some bigger scans of these images, which shows some wacky colours to these figures. It makes me wonder why they were so significantly recoloured. After all, Hasbro released quite a few figures in identical or similar colours to their Diaclone or Microman versions, so it wasn't done to differentiate their (new) Transformers toys from the originals.

I've seen that battlescape picture before and it was decribed as an original prototype pic for series two of G1. Note the wings on the planes are all from the S2 planes but with S1 coloured bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire in the sky View Post
    I've seen that battlescape picture before and it was decribed as an original prototype pic for series two of G1. Note the wings on the planes are all from the S2 planes but with S1 coloured bodies.
    i'm almost certain that image is from the Takara Trade catalog of '85
    IIRC, eBay seller therawhyde00 was selling these at one point as G1 prototypes similar to these

That diorama shot is magnificent!

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

There's also the intriguing possibility that some of these were made, in a way, by the South-American licensors such as IGA, and perhaps even Estrela or Antex (unlikely for the last, most likely for the first).
    Looking To Buy Either Siege Or Earthrise Ratchet, and Buzzworthy SS86 ER Cliffjumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"]i'm almost certain that image is from the Takara Trade catalog of '85
    That makes sense.