View Poll Results: JP MP-24 Star Saber - worth buying?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 47.83%
  • Only if...

8 17.39%
  • Not worth it

1 2.17%
  • I'm not even interested

15 32.61%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - JP MP-24 Masterpiece Star Saber

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    Now where can I get SS and how much?!
    If you can't get it online, remember that this toy will be coming out here at Toys R Us.

-------------------------------------

Alright, so I've tried to approximate the Battle Platform mode (戦闘基地モード). The tricky part was getting the legs apart, because MP Star Sabre can't actually do the full splits like G1 Star Sabre can, so this was as close as I could get it.

I don't own a G1 Star Sabre, so here's a 'mock up' comparison pic with a picture of the G1 toy.

And the "actual size" pic on the box is pretty much the real size of the toy.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Alright, so I've tried to approximate the Battle Platform mode (戦闘基地モード). The tricky part was getting the legs apart, because MP Star Sabre can't actually do the full splits like G1 Star Sabre can, so this was as close as I could get it.
    I applaud your efforts Gok.

I will say this though. G1 Battle base looks like arse. I'm glad the MP wasn't sacrificed for that.

My main gripes with this toy are:
    * The Great Sword (large); because just like the G1 toy, Star Sabre can only properly hold it with the blade oriented sideways, making it completely impractical to use as a weapon.
    Actually, the G1 toy appears to have the blade oriented correctly; although the hilt is sideways (making it less practical as a cross-guard※), whereas the MP toy's sword is entirely sideways. So technically the weapon on the G1 toy is more realistic than the MP one.

-------------------------------------------
    ※ Although the use of the cross-guard is less essential for MP Star Sabre since he is equipped with a shield. IRL many swords were designed without proper guards for soldiers who used shields (as the shield is the primary weapon); these "quasi-guards" were actually intended to stop the wielder's and from slipping onto blade rather than protect the hand from an opponent's sword. This design came after shields were abandoned (which also led to the advent of the gauntlet).
    e.g.
    Gladius (Roman sword); note the smaller guard which acts as a stop from cutting himself
    Rapier (Renaissance sword); note the more developed true guard designed to protect the user's hand from an incoming blade

Took mine out and had a play with him today. My impressions:

I've never owned the G1 toy and Ive only watched the Victory series once (never even got around to watching Zone) and that was many years ago and I only half remember it so I dont have a big emotional connection to the character. I mainly got him as he looked big and cool in all the media about him.

The 3 robot modes all look quite cool. Im wondering if the little brainmaster dude is now the smallest TF I own? I like how the Sabre mode without the face really does give the impression that its a bigger mech suit for the little guy. Then put all together into Star Sabre he is very big and impressive looking indeed! The sword and shield are great, though I think he could have benefited from a bigger gun.

The vehicle modes? Hmmmm. Well the Sabre jet mode is ok, I like how the brainmaster can become the pilot and fits in there really well, unlike many TF toys where someone is a pilot.

The V-Star battle platform I found to be a real letdown. It may be correct in the way it reference the old cartoon and the original toy but I found for something so big it was woefully simplistic and really holds no appeal. They should have really beefed it up with... I dunno... a lot more little details or stickers or more weapons or something.

The jet combined to the V-Star - it just doesn't do it for me. Again, I know its technically correct, a platform that becomes a giant jet booster thing for the regular jet to fly into outer space- but it just seems plain and weird looking.

I found the transformation sequence for all this to be too simplistic for a Masterpiece, especially such a huge one. Oh there is lots to do with all the different modes, but transformation wise its not impressive and doesn't offer a helluva lot of play value.

Overall Im not sure he is worth the money I spent on him, especially since he would be in my top 10 most expensive single transformer toy purchases. I'll play around with him some more when time allows, I may grow to like him better. Until then he can be an impressively proportioned big bot sitting up on my shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Dam it! I can't get Saber to combine with his giant robot body.

EDIT: Ok, got it, didn't realize I had to just clip him in, not line up the clip.

Do the ratchets in his elbows not work for anyone else? Mine can't hold his shield up.
    The left elbow on mine was loose too. Take off the 2 screws on the grey part and wedge something in behind the red piece to push it closer to the teeth, making sure his elbow can still bend to a straight arm. I tried a foam wedge but it wasn't strong enough, ended up sacrificing a hard eraser with a sharp scalpel, but now he can hold the shield easily! Really shouldn't have to fix that, it's a weak design considering how big and heavy the shield is.

This transformer toy is awesome. It is the star saber inwanted when I was a kid. I didn't really follow the cartoons back then but for some strange reason, I ended up having it as a toy..the G1 version. Big time nostalgia value for me.

I managed to track it down for $215 AUD.

Overall the quality and refinement of the piece is a little below masterpiece standard. Very few painted parts and some visible hollow parts that I thought could be better designed. The combination process is also a bit finicky; for example, yhe chest piece goes in with a plasticky click instead of a nice spring loaded click because they use plastic tabs to hold everything in place.

But daaam, when everything goes in olace it is a really nice looking figure and all is forgiven!! Check out the pic.

The only thing I would have liked is a stand alone saber than is nicely proportioned and is easier to grip. Hopefully someone makes a third party version.

Very nice picture, I'm continually impressed by the apparent articulation on this toy.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by willocrew View Post
    Very few painted parts and some visible hollow parts that I thought could be better designed.
    The colours are bland, but show-accurately bland! It's the same thing with MP22 Ultra Magnus, they've gone for the cartoon colours. Mind you, the original G1 toy wasn't much better; a rather dull figure even by 1989 standards IMHO. So cool that you did get one at the time though!

The colours are bland, but show-accurately bland! It's the same thing with MP22 Ultra Magnus, they've gone for the cartoon colours. Mind you, the original G1 toy wasn't much better; a rather dull figure even by 1989 standards IMHO. So cool that you did get one at the time though!
    Yeah! G1 Starsaber was a big and heavy toy. I must have been like 5 or 6 at the time and the weight is something I'll alwats remember.

The funny thing is that because the G1 toy was so heavy, I ended up spending more time playing with a small miniature Starsaber toy that I got from one kfnthose candy boxed toys you get back in the day. It was the exact replica of the G1 toy itself, but like Palm sized.

The really cool thing is that I was watching a YouTube video of the G1 toy and it is exactly as I remember it. So amazing some memories just stay with us and never fades.