View Poll Results: MP-10 Convoy - worth buying?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 45.10%
  • Only if (something)

14 27.45%
  • No

1 1.96%
  • Not interested

7 13.73%
  • Will wait for local release

6 11.76%
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece MP-10 Convoy ver. 2.0

Default Toy Review - Masterpiece MP-10 Convoy ver. 2.0

Toy Review - Masterpiece Convoy

Series - Masterpiece
    Sub-line - none
    Size/class - NA, aprox 1:32 scale
    Released here - no (JP release September 2011)
    Approximate Retail Price - US$290
    Approximate Size - 23cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Truck (possibly Freightliner FL86)
    Main Features/Gimmicks - More G1 accurate cab, trailer converts to battle station, matrix, Spike figure, axe, foldable/storable gun, Roller.
    Main Colours - Red, blue, gray.
    Main Accessories - Gun, axe, Roller, Spike.

Which brings us to where we are today...

Apologies for the phone pics, I don't have a decent camera as I spent too much on these...

MP-10 Convoy is a smaller, refined version of the original MP-1 Convoy. Where MP-1 was roughly the size of the 1:24 Binaltech line, MP-10 is roughly in scale with the Classics and 1:32 Alternity series of cars.

Gone are many of the gimmicks of MP-1 as well. No moving faceplate, no folding shin vents, no suspension wheels, no light-up matrix, no flip-out wrist communicators. Instead there is a simpler/better transformation sequence, a folding gun that can be stored in MP-10's back or on Roller and a figure of Spike that can fit in the cab. There are no working doors however so Spike has to be inserted through the front windows. The new gun is not proportional with the older more accurate rifle either. The smoke stacks are shorter and collapse still further in bot mode.

Articulation is better in the legs with pull-out ankles that allow for a wide range of standing poses. The elbows and knees are single-jointed so still no full range of movement there. The shoulders can fold out and back but not forward, so he can his rifle in both hands but only just. The hands have articulation in two of the fore-finger joints so he can point, and a single pin that runs through the hand knuckles to open and close a fist. No articulation in the thumb, the wrist is a single swivel. The energy axe fits over a closed fist. The head rotates and pivots up and down. The hips are detented ball joints. The hip pieces that moved on MP-1 are gone inhibiting movement beyond aprox 80 degrees forward.

The trailer can be fully opened up to reveal the command center. It can also be positioned 90 degrees to serve as a repair bay. It has a fold down ramp and opening back doors. The trailer can store a single Binaltech, Classics or Alternity car. The center itself consists of a detailed but largely uncolored interior.There are two seats for the Spike figure to sit in as well as an opening cockpit in the extend-able pod. The pod has an articulated with a double-joint and single joint for two claw prongs. A radar can fold up and rotate. The pod can fit through opening doors in the top of the trailer when closed. The pod rotates but has no missiles or launcher for Roller.

Roller can open at the back revealing a gun holder and 5mm peg holder. Spike has single swivel articulation in both shoulders, hips and knees.

So does MP-10 kick ass?

Yeah, I'd say it does. Range of motion is still limited but otherwise it's probably the best interpretation of G1 Convoy available.

Holy...how did you get that photo done? OP kicking Drift? Up in the air? And they balance???

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    No moving faceplate, no folding shin vents, no suspension wheels, no light-up matrix, no flip-out wrist communicators.
    All of the above = no sale. I can't justify paying nearly $300 for something that is a scaled down / cut-back masterpiece. Oh, and his duck-like feet bother me as well.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by Arcee View Post
    Holy...how did you get that photo done? OP kicking Drift? Up in the air? And they balance???
    Drift is on a wire. Convoy can hold that pose but not with the added weight.

Journalistic integrity is one of many character flaws I possess.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    All of the above = no sale. I can't justify paying nearly $300 for something that is a scaled down / cut-back masterpiece. Oh, and his duck-like feet bother me as well.
    I agree, 100%

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I am a bit bothered by his waist seemingly too small compare to his chest, and his upper elbow joints too small, kinda like where it should be the biceps the whole arm suddenly shrinks. Didn't even get to notice his feet. Tranformation seem to be better but I think MP-01 & 04 definitely much better proportioned in robot mode.

One more question Tober: how much real metal does he wear on and where?

I am a bit bothered by his waist seemingly too small compare to his chest, and his upper elbow joints too small, kinda like where it should be the biceps the whole arm suddenly shrinks. Didn't even get to notice his feet. Tranformation seem to be better but I think MP-01 & 04 definitely much better proportioned in robot mode.

One more question Tober: how much real metal does he wear on and where?
    Yeah, I tend to prefer MP-1's chest proportions too, but I can see why they did it to get a more accurate cab mode.

Metal, good question, I accidental edited the materials out. There's almost no diecast. His toes and heel are diecast (I think). The majority is ABS plastic. Rubber on the wheels (not Roller's), the axe is PVC, vac-formed plastic for the chrome areas.

I am a bit bothered by his waist seemingly too small compare to his chest
    Seriously, he looks like he's been on some extreme diet. Optimus, you're too skinny!

yeah i'm not interested in paying $300 due to terrible exchange rates, a smaller, crappier revision (imo) and well TakaraTomy's reasoning that because they've made something new - we'll pay more.

I'm still hurting from the previous disappointment in MP Rodimus. $200 for a trailer that doesn't quite fit right and all the other problems that they felt did not need proper play testing but just revisions.

so if their master plan involves releasing MP10 as black, grey, white, purple and whatever else colours Prime has been then they can go screw themselves.