View Poll Results: Hasbro MP10 Optimus - worth buying?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 69.44%
  • Only if...

8 22.22%
  • No

1 2.78%
  • Not even interested

2 5.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Hasbro Masterpiece Optimus Prime (MP-10 version)

Default Toy Review - Hasbro Masterpiece Optimus Prime (MP-10 version)

(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to start you off)

Series - Masterpiece
    Sub-line - none
    Size/class - n/a
    New/remould/redeco - New (for Hasbro)
    Wave - n/a
    Released here - October 2012 (ToysRUs exclusive) (global release September)
    Approximate Retail Price - AU$150 ($100 in America)
    Approximate Size - 24cm (robot), 45cm (truck & trailer)
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Semi Truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Trailer converts to battle station, Autobot Roller included, Matrix of Leadership fits in chest, Snap-on Energon axe, Spike Witwicky mini-figure included, Ion cannon storage.
    Main Colours - Red, blue, gray.
    Main Accessories - Gun, axe, Matrix, Roller, Spike.

(note - official images below from US ToysRUs site have not transformed the truck cab properly. Packaging images are from BotCon, as no official ones have been released yet)

Review of JP version can be seen here.

This is very nice but I'm perfectly content with my 20th Anniversary Prime, plus he's more in scale with the other MP's that I have. Having the trailer is plus but I don't even display my G1 Prime with his trailer, mostly due to the lack of space available in my cabinets.

I voted 'only if' you don't have any other MP Prime in your collection.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    This is very nice but I'm perfectly content with my 20th Anniversary Prime, plus he's more in scale with the other MP's that I have. Having the trailer is plus but I don't even display my G1 Prime with his trailer, mostly due to the lack of space available in my cabinets.

I voted 'only if' you don't have any other MP Prime in your collection.
    Part of the reason I am so eager to get this MP Prime is that I have the 20th Anniversary Prime and I have kept him MISB. I have looked at him for manys a year now, yearning to play with him but have resisted temptation, so by getting this MP Prime I can finally play! But I do agree, if you already had another MP/20th Prime out of the box this one may not be worth getting.

But since I am waiting for Krayt to post the Prime he picked up for me last night in Melb, I guess it is all speculation on my part thus far

Pictures are here.

Colours
    + TakTOM's MP10's colours are superior to this toy's colours, hands down.
    + It looks better IRL than in photos - photos make him look a bit brighter than he really is. Having said that, the colours are undeniably light.
    + The outside of the trailer is silver, but the inside abounds with "Hasblo Grey"

Robot Mode
    + About 25cm tall.
    + The sculpt is very nice. Looks a lot like the G1 cartoon model and overall feels more "tight" compared to MP01.
    + Nice to see that Hasbro didn't shorten the smoke stacks or smudge try-hard battle damage or strip off any chrome like they've did with their versions of MP01.
    + The tanks on the lower legs don't sit in as flush as with MP01.
    + I really like how the hips allow a wide range of motion without needing to have panels like on MP01.
    + The toes and heel spurs are actually die cast metal.
    + The feet are less articulated than MP01. No toe articulation and smaller range of movement in the ankles. Also, no shock absorbers/suspension on the ankles.
    + Fingers: the index finger is well articulated, but suffers from a similar problem as MP Starscream in that it can easily pop out. The middle, ring and pinky fingers are all a single piece, so the finger articulation is kinda similar to a Binaltech's, only with a better articulated index finger. This allows for a superior gun grip, but not so good at gripping other things, like the Matrix.
    + No hydraulic pistons on the ankles, elbows or wrists. No flip up communicator panels on the arms. No articulated face plate.
    + The shin panels don't move. They're permanently sculpted as being half open.
    + The Matrix has die-cast metal handles. But it cannot open/close. It's nicely painted.
    + The rifle can fold up and be stored inside the back, but when it's out it doesn't "lock out" and remains floppy. Fine for display purposes, but I can foresee that this may get annoying during play.
    + On the plus side, this Optimus Prime can hold his rifle a _lot_ better than MP01
    s notoriously loose grip.
    + The transformation is still fairly complex, but relatively simpler for a Masterpiece. More like Binaltech level of transformation. For the most part it's fairly intuitive. There's one joint that's painted red and gets easily scratched during transformation - although you only ever see it with you transform the toy and it cannot be seen from either robot or truck modes.
    + QC: For some reason, the right chest panel doesn't sit it completely flush on mine.
    + The Energon Axe accessory is disappointing. Firstly, it doesn't assemble very tightly -- mine is VERY prone to falling apart. If you don't touch it, it can stay together... this makes it USELESS as a melee weapon during play. Also, it just fits over the fist rather than having the fist retract and clipping onto the arm directly like on MP01. MP01's axe looks and works better.

Truck Mode
    + No shock absorbers/suspension on any of the wheels.
    + It's a nice tight truck mode that isn't reliant on panels as MP01. Overall a more clever transformation, and the end result looks better than MP01's truck mode. At least, it would if the right panel on mine would lock in all the way!
    + The legs that form the rear portion of the truck is VERY chunky. Too chunky IMO. MP01's truck mode is superior in this regard.

Trailer/Combat Deck
    + The trailer hitches onto the cab very nicely.
    + Hasbro QC: the paint apps on one of the Autobot logos on the trailer is a little bit sloppy.
    + The rear doors swing outwards like a real truck. There's an access ramp that slides out and down for Roller.
    + There's a lot of nice sculpting on the combat deck. Sadly the Hasbro Grey obscures this (it's more immediately noticeable on the TakTOM version).
    + Has storage compartments for the rifle and axe.
    + There are two small panels that can open and allow the battle tower to pop out for the vehicular attack mode.

Roller
    + I like how this one's blue, cos as a kid I only ever saw purple-blue Rollers (only ever saw the silver one in catalogues, never IRL until the reissue).
    + The strobe light is a neat touch, also makes Roller more like the cartoon.
    + Rear section is able to transform to allow Roller to hold the rifle, and transform again to be hitched to the trailer.
    + Unfortunately Roller doesn't seem to "lock" into place in the trailer (unless I haven't worked it out yet ) and there doesn't appear to be a launcher mechanism.

Overall
    A nice figure. Overall the engineering is better than MP01's, but MP01 still has a lot of cool features/gimmicks that this mould lacks. Colours aren't as nice as TakTOM's, but the RRP is considerably cheaper.
    Score: 7/10
    Recommendation level:
    + Recommended if you don't have any other MP Optimus Prime/Convoy and you aren't willing to pay for the TakTOM version.
    + Somewhat recommended if you don't have MP01 but don't have MP04 (like me )
    ...otherwise you'll probably want to pass.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 13th October 2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Link updated

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Painted eyes look great, and are a much needed touch. Same with the lights above the cab.

The joints don't feel as tight as they should. The window could be a tighter fit in robot mode. There is slight gapping between the two halves. Mine sits flush though, whereas many others weren't so lucky.

Nice figure. I'm not thrilled with it, as its yet another Prime, but it is pretty neat.

Not quite recommended, but a fairly attractive package, and good for those who don't have a definitive Prime in their collection.

It has some pluses over the TakTom version, and some minuses. Those minuses are eased by the pricetag difference.

I believe the reason the windows are not sitting flush is the matrix in his chest not fitting properly I had a similar issue but after removing the matrix , the internal chest cover closes more firmly allowing the windows to sit in properly leaving no gap between them hope this works for you guys

If you look closely, the core of the matrix has one side bigger than the other (for the "opened matrix" effect i suppose) all you do is make sure when you fit the matrix into his chest the bigger side is facing inwards. This will allow the covers to fold down properly.

I was actually quite surprised when I got mine home last night how much smaller he is than the 20th Anniversary Prime. I knew he would be a bit smaller but he is only about 2/3rds the size, whereas I thought he would be approximately at shoulder height. Not that I'm complaining mind - I do like this toy still and very happy I got him.

The plastic quality of it isn't bad for a modern Hasbro release. Although the colors are a bit on the bright side, this is easily the best Hasbro release we've had in a very long time.

I won't go into details about the mold as it has already been covered with MP-10 but here are the goods and bads from Hasbro's release:

Good

- Plastic quality is pretty decent, a lot better than expected, probably same as Tomy's.
    - As mentioned previously, it has die cast on his feet (I suspect the Tomy version does too)
    - Chrome and no nerfing of the smoke stacks!
    - Hasbro gray is no where near as bad, it is actually a darker gray than that super light one we normally get and still somewhat metallic than glossy, not 'creamy' and cheap.
    - Rubber wheels, not plastic
    - Trailer has a nice metallic pant job on the outside.

Bad

- Colors are still a bit bright although still within an acceptable margin, nothing like Pinkimus and other previous Hasbro abominations.
    - All the toys I saw had variations of a bit dodgy paint application on the Autobot symbol of the trailer but nothing a red paint pen wouldn't solve and you have to look to notice.
    - Inside of the trailer is plain old Hasbro gray so it looks very cheap

Aside from that, superb effort from Hasbro! I wish there were more releases like this one from them.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Aside from that, superb effort from Hasbro!
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]