Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Fair Australia 2014 news (Movie SPOILERS)

Default Toy Fair Australia 2014 news (Movie SPOILERS)

IF YOU DIDN'T SEE THE WARNING IN THE TITLE... THERE ARE MOVIE NAMES AND POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THIS POSTING.

Today was the first day of the four-day Australian Toy, Hobby & Nursery Fair in Melbourne, and Demonac & I had a look around as much as we were allowed to.

(photos to be added to this first post as soon as I process them - I just wanted to get this posted up as soon as I got home)

We managed to check out most of the exhibits I listed in the Preview posting, but quite a few now are completely shielded from prying eyes by way of complete enclosures, and requiring appointments to get in.

Fortunately for us, we had an appointment with Hasbro at 3pm, so we got there at about 1pm and walked over the entire site during that first two hours. We then spent about 2 hours at the Hasbro exhibit, looking at the display (product testing ) and interrogating the Brand Managers (thanks to Lewis and Ben of course).

As expected, the main theme and focus was the fourth movie, but... it was pretty much the entire focus of their Transformers display (product range). Hasbro America only sent a small amount of the Movie toys for the Australian Toyfair display - none of the Wave 2 toys that were on display at the NY Toyfair were on display here... so none of the Galvatron or Stinger toys at all.
    (use our Toy Checklist for reference on any Wave numbers noted here)

Okay, okay... the main bit people here are wanting to find out about - the non-Movie Generations toys... Are we getting them???
    "Most likely" is the short answer I can relay from them, as the 2014 Generations toys were not on display, and were not pushed to Retailers this year. However, their appearance in Australia will depend on the ability to offload their 2013 Generations toys, that they've been sitting on for a little while now.
    I haven't been told yet which waves they already have in their Australian warehouse, but I might get the details some time after Toyfair is wrapped up. All they could say, was that it was about a thousand units of each of some of the Comic-book Deluxes, and some of the 2013 Legends 2-packs (which he thinks might be the Autobot Data Disc wave).
    The word is that they might end up at Kmart in May/June, during the pre-movie increase in demand for the Brand.... AND THEN... once those are out to whichever store takes them, we will get the 2014 Generations toys pushed to Retailers from around the middle of the year.
    Soooo.... since the Retailers failed to take up the 2013 stock, Hasbro Australia wants to get rid of that first, BEFORE offering the 2014 figures.
    This might mean many of the early 2014 Generations toys won't come to Australia, but ones like Leader Jetfire (which aren't being released in America until after the Movie anyway) should get here after the Movie as well. Jetfire was specifically mentioned, because the Brand Manager loves the toy so much, he wants to make sure we get it here.

Okay, that's probably the bad news.

Good news - YOTH Starscream (the one that ToysRUs were planning to get for sell at some ridiculous price of about $200) has been cancelled. If you wanted one, you should be ordering it from Hong Kong or America anyway... for a lot less.

Okay, that's not really the "good news".
    Good news is that Hasbro Australia is committed to sourcing the entire range of Hasbro Masterpiece toys this year, and "promised" to let us know in advance of 2-3 months of when we are getting them. At this time, they couldn't confirm or deny the various Hasbro MP names so far floating around for this year (Grimlock, Sunstorm, Prowl, Sideswipe). But it was fun naming them and seeing the sorts of facial expressions we got for each.
    But the best news is that their closer ties with Hasbro Hong Kong this year (as with the sudden appearance of the HK Gaia Unicron & Optimus 2-pack), we could be seeing a lot more of the Japanese Masterpiece toys (and other JP figures) here later this year, if they can get a reasonable price for them (like within 10% of what they sell for in Japan or Hong Kong, so that local collectors will buy them instead of importing them).
    Nothing confirmed yet... but this is the intentions of Hasbro Australia, so it might take a while, or we might even see more stuff show up suddenly like the Gaia Unicron pack.

Speaking of which - Myer is now going to be a major player for Transformers exclusives in Australia. As we've already seen them intending to have YOTH Optimus, First Edition Optimus, Gaia Unicron and the Grimlock & Optimus 2-pack just in the first 5 months of this year - they approached Hasbro to get their hands on lots more exclusive figures, including a whole new Platinum Figure Range later this year (no details, so don't ask - and no, not Predaking)... so between them and ToysRUs (and the other Retailers), we are supposed to see about 95% of Hasbro America store exclusives in Australia this year.

Year of the Horse (a Myer exclusive) has been pushed back at the request of Myer, so that it comes out closer to the Movie line. It should be in stores late April, early May.

First Edition Optimus (already at Myer and Target, and should be at TRU soon) is also going to be at BigW, but a lot later... some time in April. It should be cheaper than the other stores (which are $100), but the current Target sale (20% off) is likely to be the best Domestic pricing though.

Confirmation of the five "Then & Now" sets, and that they are indeed 2 size classes (Optimus & Grimlock as big 2-packs, Bumblebee, Slug & Strafe as small 2-packs).

The success of the Rescue Bots toys in Kmart (because Hasbro have been trying to get stores to stock all their Transformers toys in the one section now, not split up into the different age-group sections of the stores) should see almost all the RB toys here this year... with a "maybe" on the two electronic ones (Heatwave/brontosaurus & Optimus/T-Rex) and the Epic figures (they are like Titans, but with chests that open up for the RB figurines).

Kreo - The two largest build sets are coming later in the year, but all the rest, including the combiners, Customs and MicroChangers will be here for the Movie, and should be at at least two store chains (possibly TRU and Kmart... but that could be wrong).

US Dollar store Legends (Bumblebee, Optimus, Starscream) - recently found in America at Dollar Stores, I didn't expect to see them here, but they were on display, and available to retailers here... so if any pick them up, they will show up in our stores. Nothing to fancy about them, but Bumblebee has a new deco to it.

Movie Construct-Bots - first wave of all four size classes.

Movie Generations - first wave of Deluxe (4), Voyager (2) and the Leader Grimlock and Bumblebee only.

Movie Gimmick lines - first wave of "One-Step" (all three size classes), "Power Attack/Battlers", "Flip & Change" Optimus & Grimlock, "Titans Heroes" (12 inch). No Dino-Sparkers on display, and I didn't remember to ask if they were coming here.

Hero Mashers - expected to be hugely popular, based on how well the Marvel ones are selling. They looked like rubbery plastic in the NY Toyfair photos, but are actually solid, heavy plastic, and nicely weighted. I might not be a fan of the gimmick, but I might not end up minding buying these.
    Only first wave figures shown of the four size classes.

Mr Potato Head - not displayed, but we should be getting them. (I asked)

Battle Masters - not displayed, and I forgot to ask.

BotShots - still popular with Australian Retailers, but the line has indeed been axed by Hasbro America. (which is why the recent ones were in European packaging, brought in from the UK market just to meet demand of our Retailers)

Beast Hunters - the Legions should definitely be the only class of the final wave we should see in Australia. If you want the CMDR, DLX or VOY final wave, import them. Just like with the BotShots above, the demand from our Retailers for the Legion class was so high, European stock was brought in.

Bumblebee Rumble Fists - Does NOT appear to be a Hasbro product (it would be a licensed item), but should be fun enough to make a mention of it. Anyone who has seen those Hulk Fists in the toy section in the last year or two, which make smashing noises when you hit things? Grey Robotic Fists with a little yellow colouring... and probably appropriate sound effects of metal smashing metal.

Now, other exhibitors (as in, licensed Merchandise)...

Nikko - remote controlled cars.
    This was one of two exhibitors that we just stumbled across that had something officially licensed on display, so we stopped and had a look. These have been noted at other Toyfairs, so hopefully you can know what I'm describing here.
    The big transforming pair (Optimus & Bumblebee) will be here, along with the smaller non-converting Bumblebee and Lockdown cars.
    Going to be in BigW first, then other Retailers.
    Big size will be about AU$100 each - they will transform and still drive around in both modes, with phrases and sound effects from the movie. (the ones on display were pre-production hand-painted prototypes)
    Small size will be about AU$60 each - non-convertible cars (they had on display, the fully finished production-run car shells, but no electronics inside).
    Other ones that are in the "Not yet" category, will depend on sales of the first four. It includes Barricade (police car) in the small size (which they actually had, but I found it hidden behind the boxes), and a helicopter that could be in the large size (but I'm not sure, as they had a small one that could be just a small-scale replica). The guy couldn't tell me the character name for the Helicopter, but he knew that fansites had been trying to find out who it is.
    Nikko have the license for Movie RC vehicles from 2014-2016, and said that it covers TF4 and TF5. They already have a range for 2015 known, but couldn't say. He did claim that TF4 & TF5 were filmed together, and that the next one would be released in 2015... but that's the first I've heard of it. It may just be bad information travelling down the pipeline to a license-holder, but if it ends up being true, you heard it here first.
    (no photos)

Banter Toys.
    The second series of the smaller Loyal Subjects figures will be going out to stores soon, as the first series has sold well. They will be showing up in EB Games this year as well, for around $15 each (a bit pricey for those small figurines).
    The big (8 inch) figures are also doing well, and Banter will be offering the Nemesis Prime (Optimus redeco) here on a pre-order basis (through the stores stocking the large and/or small Loyal Subjects figures). There will be 500 worldwide, so numbers here will also be very limited, which is why they are planning a pre-order system. They haven't finalised the details yet, so in case they don't let us know about it before it happens, let your local source of Loyal Subjects figures know that you want to pre-order a Nemesis Prime figure, and if they don't know about it, get them to talk to Banter Toys (their supplier).
    They will also be distributing the Topps Transformers Trading Cards for the TF4 movie as well. No samples were on display though, but the description noted that they will include chase cards like foil ones, character ones, and even film cell ones.
    (no photos)

Goldie Marketing.
    Not one I was aware of until we walked past it... but they will be distributing those "30th Anniversary mini-figurines" which were those little figurine packs that include "3D puzzle" pieces to them... and some 3 & 5 packs are themed or character packs (across different eras). They had a huge display, with all 30 figurines on display with their collector cards.
    I actually took a photo of them... which will be added shortly if I get permission.
    They also had a catalogue of other "Calibre" licensed items, which was the same catalogue that surfaced at the NY Toyfair.

MJM Crown.
    As well as the "Trouble" pop-o-matic game, there were a number of jigsaw puzzles and a walkie Talkie set (see the Hasbro Exhibit photos below for some of these items).
    (no photos though)

Moose Enterprises - distributor of "Hex Bugs".
    They didn't have the Transformers Hex Bugs on display, so no details on them or photos.
    They were supposed to be distributed by Britz-n-pieces, but just a couple weeks before the Toyfair, Moose Enterprises "acquired" the license to import and distribute the Hex Bugs in Australia (again... as they lost it a couple years ago).

We didn't see the Carrera Track Sets though, but since many exhibits were closed off to people who don't have an appointment, it might have been hidden away out of site.

I would have loved to have taken more photos of the Toyfair, but the event organisers wouldn't allow it this year.
    Even though I was to be allowed to take photos of the Hasbro exhibit, the Event organisers wanted me to tell the Hasbro people, that they had to ring up the Organisers, to let them know that it was okay for the Organisers to give me permission to take photos of the Hasbro exhibit.
    Telling that to the guys at Hasbro had them laughing just as much as I was, for the craziness of what the Organiser had told me.
    In the 7 years of reporting on Toyfair, with many Exhibitors giving permission for us to promote (for free) their products with a photo or two, this was the first year that the Event Organiser said "No Photos"... and then gave me that long-winded condition above when I told her that Hasbro had already given approval. I ask for permission as a courtesy, and now I don't want to risk being blacklisted from future Fairs by taking or posting any non-Hasbro photos.
    One of the things I like to do is take photos of the Event displays and character costumes that are paid to walk around the Fair. This year they had a "Turtle Van" (a painted Van with something on the roof that vaguely resembled a gun), and several super-heroes (Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman), plus some cartoon characters I didn't recognise.

Photos to come soon (in the second posting). Nothing too exciting, so don't stay up if you are still up waiting for this report.
    (I might also remember some other things later too - Or Demonac might add in some comments, as he "tested" many of the figures on display, while I talked and took photos)
    Last edited by griffin; 26th March 2014 at 02:52 PM.

Also wanted to make sure I thanked Demonac for driving me around the last couple days, and giving me a place to stay while all the Hotels in Melbourne under $300 were booked out for the Grand Prix.

(Inserting the photos in this posting, as it would mess up the formatting of the text in the first post)

Custom built Optimus Truck, from plastic or fibre-glass (they had to use a crane to get it in there). The Transformers toys were all in that enclosure, making up their largest display of toys this year.
    Inside the enclosure, one wall had the movie trailer playing on a TV and a table with the Electronic Chomp & Stomp Grimlock to play with, while the
    other three walls had their toys and samples of other people's Merchandise.

Inside from the left... Rescue Bots and Movie Titans.

Redeco Legends and Movie gimmick toys - One-step, Power Action, Flip & Change. And a couple of licensed items at the bottom.

First Edition Optimus & gimmick toys. And licensed Nikko Remote Controlled mock-up boxes at the bottom.
    We were told that the final version of the One-step Bumblebee will be a lighter shade of yellow.

Movie Generations.

Wave 1 Deluxes - Crosshairs, Slug, Scorn, Bumblebee.

Movie Voyagers (Optimus & Grimlock) and Leader Grimlock (and an empty Optimus box).

Leader Bumblebee (plus the original Battle Ops Bumblebee to show both modes).

Movie Construct-Bots (first wave only)

Hero Mashers (first wave only)

Electronic and large size Hero Mashers.

Kreo - Microchangers, Custom, Combiners & Build Sets.

Merchandise (only included to pad out the display, using samples for the Retailers to chase up from other exhibitors - but many will not be here at all).

I liked this poster...

The Walkie Talkies mentioned in the first post, and a track set seen at one of the other Toyfairs.

The pop-up book that came out earlier this year - worth getting if you don't already have it.

Mini Plushies - looks like four types (Optimus, Bumblebee, Stinger, Grimlock). I hope they come here.

A big Plushie Optimus, with electronics. Plus some other random items.

Back of packaging of the Plushie Optimus... showing that there are two others.

The license-holder, in case people try to find these.

Nikko Remote Controlled vehicles (mock-up boxes).

Other licensed items.

A nice looking t-shirt.

There are a couple more photos, but I need to get permission before I can post them.
    Last edited by griffin; 18th March 2014 at 01:35 AM.

Were Spinmaster and Mattel there?

Thanks for all the info. Good job as always.

The photo of "Evasion Mode" Prime looks much more G1 in truck mode than previous photos, and I had not noticed so much chrome on Leader Grimlock before.

There's some interesting stuff going on, and some stuff that's a bit annoying too. Hold off on Generations toys long enough that most collectors import them, then release them to shelfwarm and then use that a reason not to get more Generations in?

Could you clarify one thing though

Movie Generations - first wave of Deluxe (4), Voyager (2) and the Leader Grimlock and Bumblebee only.
    Is this what was on display or what will be released here. Will this worse than Beast Hunters where wave 1 will be everywhere. It's a familar pattern but bothers me if the other waves are ruled out before wave 1 shelfwarms (so no Hound, Galvatron, Drift, Strafe, Slash or the 7 other deluxes here?)

Some cool pics, was good to look at. Wish I went now

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeSoundwave View Post
    Were Spinmaster and Mattel there?
    Mattel don't participate in Toyfair, probably because they are located in Melbourne and it might just be cheaper to invite the Retailers to their Head Office during Toyfair.... to save them the cost of setting up an exhibit just a few suburbs away.
    I hadn't heard of Spinmaster before, and looking it up, they are a Canadian company who probably have some agent here distributing their toys, as they don't look to be too big with toys anymore - mostly just apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Could you clarify one thing though

Is this what was on display or what will be released here. Will this worse than Beast Hunters where wave 1 will be everywhere. It's a familar pattern but bothers me if the other waves are ruled out before wave 1 shelfwarms (so no Hound, Galvatron, Drift, Strafe, Slash or the 7 other deluxes here?)
    I was only listing what was on display before I put up the photos. I'd have no idea what we may end up with, based on previous years of First Wave clogging of shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I was only listing what was on display before I put up the photos. I'd have no idea what we may end up with, based on previous years of First Wave clogging of shelves.
    Ok thanks for clarifying. I've assumed wave 1 will hang around for a while, but it came across like that was all Aus was getting since that was the general gist of the other lines you mentioned.

That is alot of merchandise, some good, mostly bad...

Change the model to G1 prime and I'd be all over that "Prime Dunk" poster!

Thankyou for all the information and updates Griffin, nothing new, but a good look at what is to come.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Thanks for doing this Griffin. It sounds like reasonably good news about Generations anyway.

I wonder if the legends 2-packs Hasbro still has have anything to do with the Generations Legends that were apparently in the Target computer system a little while ago. Though if I remember correctly, those were the Targetmasters and it seems these are the data discs. I guess I can but hope - I kinda object to importing something as small as a Legends toy unless I'm buying a whole bunch of other stuff.

Would you be able to do a write-up or give some details on some of the non-TF stuff that was there please? I'm specifically interested in Marvel toys, some of which I can see behind the OP-truck display there. Fingers crossed we'll be seeing some new Marvel Legends Infinite Series!

Thanks Griffin.
    Good to know what's coming into the country and what's not.
    It's quite obvious that the target market are kids and thus not much consideration given on the proposed delays in releasing the Generations stuff.
    Like others have mentioned, collectors will then continue to purchase from abroad as most are fairly impatient and can't wait to get their hands on the newer stuff
    The only thing I'll probably get is the movie Prime that transforms into the G1 cab.
    Looks interesting but will need a new replacement head.