View Poll Results: MP Rodimus - worth buying?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 64.29%
  • Only if cheap

2 14.29%
  • Only if (something else)

1 7.14%
  • No

1 7.14%
  • Not interested

1 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - MP-9 Rodimus Convoy

Default Toy Review - MP-9 Rodimus Convoy

(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to start you off)

Toy Review - Masterpiece Rodimus Convoy

Series - Transformers 2010
    Sub-line - Masterpiece (MP-9)
    Size/class - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 7
    Released here - no (JP release January 2011)
    Approximate Retail Price - US$200
    Approximate Size - 24cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Cybertronian truck, Cybertronian Sports car
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Quad-changer (Rodimus & Hot Rod in both modes), Trailer converts to battle station, Matrix, 2 arm attachments, binoculars, 2 Hot Rod guns combine to form Rodimus gun.
    Main Colours - Red, orange, black, yellow, blue.
    Main Accessories - 2 combining guns, trailer, matrix, sawblade, welding torch

BTW, if Hasbro do end up releasing this later this year, there will be a different review topic for it, because it is will be different in some way, and likely that they will only release Hot Rod without the trailer.

Surprised there aren't more reviews here of this little beauty but I digress.

I'm extremely satisfied with MP-09. Having heard there were some QC concerns with it, I decided to take extra precautions by using the instructions. I found them not to be that great in hindsight. I tend to prefer treating the transformation in two parts for the car mode: lower body followed by upper body. The legs are the hardest part and can be frustrating but after a few gos, you have a sense of where everything belongs. The biggest surprise in the transformation is realising that front of the truck mode is a facade completely unrelated to Rodimus. I was very shocked to find that as I had assumed the car would slot in nicely with a few adjustments. The wheels touching the ground I have found is a bigger problem with Rodimus Prime than it is Hot Rod. It will roll but not all the wheels will roll simultaneously, only some. Overall, the transformations are fiddly but oddly satisfying b/c it is a bit of a challenge.

I really like the overall feel of the figure. Aesthetically all of it's modes are extremely pleasing. If you look around the whole figure, it feels so wholesome as opposed to many standard figures where if you look at back view or side view, you see a lot of unused space that makes the figure feel incomplete. The transformation of Hot Rod to Rodimus is so simple but it works so well. If you're told changing the face, extending the legs a little and adjusting the spoiler is enough to convey the difference, you'd be surprised. They are very different figures.

Articulation is excellent as well. My only gripes are the shoulders are encumbered when rotating them backwards angularly.

Balance though isn't good. . I've found it hard to get him into a pose without toppling over. I would love a stand for this. It looks so good in so many poses but getting it to stay upright is the problem. If anyone could recommend a stand, I'm all ears.

My biggest gripe is the guns. They do not fit snugly at all. You can get him to hold both but it's a bloody chore. In Hot Rod mode, my advice is do not try to force the hands around the guns tightly. Just wrap them gently around. However, be prepared for them to fall out the moment you try to repose the figure. That to me is a no-no. In Rodimus Prime mode, it's much worse as the combined gun (as nice as it is) is just too heavy and the wrists give easily. That means you end up with a floppy weapon unfortunately. I'm hoping someone, somewhere just makes new fists that these slot better into. I'd grab that.

The trailer is good at what it does but really it's just a beefed up version of the G1 one. Very nice and gives a good platform of Hot Rod but it is simplistic. Would've liked the monitor/targeting screen on it to have some colour because it is a tad bit dull.

Overall I rate MP-09. Relative to the price point of MP-08 which I believe was similar, you get plenty more complexity and playability plus the trailer.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Ive been loking forward to this for awhile, but now Im hearing more and more aout problems. Something abour the rear spoiler scratching in the truck more or some such? What sort of problems are we getting, and how big are they?
    i do NOT Play with toys...

But I DO occasionally do scale model assisted simulations in physical fight dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    Surprised there aren't more reviews here of this little beauty but I digress.
    Still waiting on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Scream Man View Post
    Ive been loking forward to this for awhile, but now Im hearing more and more aout problems. Something abour the rear spoiler scratching in the truck more or some such? What sort of problems are we getting, and how big are they?
    See this thread

The biggest surprise in the transformation is realising that front of the truck mode is a facade completely unrelated to Rodimus. I was very shocked to find that as I had assumed the car would slot in nicely with a few adjustments.
    Yeah, I've seen photos of this and other people on other boards comment about this and some other owners of this toy have said how they've felt disappointed by what they see as a transformation "cheat." It's something you certainly don't expect from a Masterpiece.

The wheels touching the ground I have found is a bigger problem with Rodimus Prime than it is Hot Rod. It will roll but not all the wheels will roll simultaneously, only some.
    This also sounds disappointing for a Masterpiece.

Balance though isn't good. . I've found it hard to get him into a pose without toppling over. I would love a stand for this. It looks so good in so many poses but getting it to stay upright is the problem. If anyone could recommend a stand, I'm all ears.
    He shouldn't need a stand. The toy should be designed well enough that he can stand and balance by himself. That's something I didn't quite like about the MP Seekers; which seemed to be more designed as display models rather than playable action figures. Boo!

My biggest gripe is the guns. They do not fit snugly at all. You can get him to hold both but it's a bloody chore. In Hot Rod mode, my advice is do not try to force the hands around the guns tightly. Just wrap them gently around. However, be prepared for them to fall out the moment you try to repose the figure. That to me is a no-no.
    This would also royally suck when you play with the toy too.

In Rodimus Prime mode, it's much worse as the combined gun (as nice as it is) is just too heavy and the wrists give easily. That means you end up with a floppy weapon unfortunately.
    Eep!

The trailer is good at what it does but really it's just a beefed up version of the G1 one. Very nice and gives a good platform of Hot Rod but it is simplistic. Would've liked the monitor/targeting screen on it to have some colour because it is a tad bit dull.
    TBH I was expecting something like this -- but of course, it jacks up the price of the toy.

Overall I rate MP-09. Relative to the price point of MP-08 which I believe was similar, you get plenty more complexity and playability plus the trailer.
    I personally thought MP Thundercracker and Grimlock were overpriced.

So overall do you think MP-09 represents decent value for money? Cos that's the one thing that put me off from buying this toy -- there are lot of things about it that seem nice, but I just can't justify throwing that much money down on it (plus postage).

Quote Originally Posted by The Scream Man View Post
    I think it varies.

For me, I've managed to avoid the spoiler scratching any point off but granted I've only given it one go. Part of my reservation is due to that very reason.

As I understand the list of gripes are:
    - Spoiler scratching when going to truck mode Big? I think so if it is a widespread problem. I haven't personally experienced it yet but I took great care. Some others have not. I slide it in gently and slowly and then out just as gently and slowly. Personally it's not a problem for me but if I experienced it, it would make me pretty furious.
    - Guns not holding hands Big Depends on how much you care for weapons. I care a lot about them but they still fit. It's more a chore but definitely not a deal breaker. I also love the saw too so often don't use the gun.
    - Wrists giving way too easily when holding the big gun in Rodimus Prime mode. Big? I think so if you like playability a lot. You can get it to pose but it's a pain - even more so when you are changing poses regularly.
    - Stability for posing Big? I don't think so. For msot people who display it should be fine.
    - Limited diecast. Big? I don't think so. Figure is very good in what it represents and that should be what matters.

The transformation, I repeat, the transformation is not QC ridden. It's a challenge but if you follow the right process (which I believe I've gotten the hang of now), you get a very nice, gap free Hot Rod.
    Last edited by STL; 7th February 2011 at 05:47 PM.
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs

I'm still trying to figure out what i really think about this one! He is definitely not without flaws... but in every mode he just looks so brilliant, i'm finding myself be more forgiving than i would normally because of it.

My one stands up fine as well, are you sure you have the ankle joint clicked all the way back? Since the feet are basically the only pieces of metal, he's weighted quite nicely and can even pull some single-leg poses.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

He shouldn't need a stand. The toy should be designed well enough that he can stand and balance by himself. That's something I didn't quite like about the MP Seekers; which seemed to be more designed as display models rather than playable action figures. Boo!
    I used to be of that view but while standing is cool, posing is pretty awesome. If you've seen pictures of Delicate Warrior on a stand, you'll know what I mean. Completely side on sort of poses or poses that would not be in mid-air that would never be possible of holding without a stand are some of the reasons for a stand.

That said, I agree that generally a figure should have basic stability. This one lacks even that but I'm going to check following Kurdt's comment below. I think he's right b/c I remember it nagging at me when I transformed him

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I personally thought MP Thundercracker and Grimlock were overpriced.

So overall do you think MP-09 represents decent value for money? Cos that's the one thing that put me off from buying this toy -- there are lot of things about it that seem nice, but I just can't justify throwing that much money down on it (plus postage).
    I think Kurdt sums it up best:

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what i really think about this one! He is definitely not without flaws... but in every mode he just looks so brilliant, i'm finding myself be more forgiving than i would normally because of it.
    I think for those reasons it makes it a figure that is definitely worth buying.

I can't remember what I paid for MP-08 Grimlock and Thundercracker but for some reason recall it being in a similar range. Add the trailer and the beauty of the figure as a representation of Hot Rod/Rodimus (nothing has ever even come close) and I think if you shelled out for those other two, this is easily worth it and a must for any collector.

The arms also work extremely well with the matrix, He looks great either way.

Without postage, MP Thundercracker retailed for 10500JPY* and MP Grimlock retailed for 13650JPY** (which was quite overpriced IMO (-_-)). Compare this with MP01 which retailed at 10290JPY***.

----------------------
    *$126
    **$163
    ***$123
    (Based on current exchange rate)