Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see in a TF comic?

Default What would you like to see in a TF comic?

Hi guys,

I like so many of us here I love reading Transformers comics but although I don't mind te current IDW run I know it has alot of critics. I also note a lot of people like the old Marvel comics which I'm not really a fan of as alot the earlier issues just rushed characters in and out to keep up with the toys being released and it had so truly terrible stories (IMO) like "The Carwash of Doom" (sounds like a bad 80's horror movie), Skullgrin the movie star and the micromaster that was a wrestler (even if he was human sized wouldn't punching metal hurt?). Although Matrix Quest and some other story arcs near the end did make up for it to a certain degree (again this is all strictly my opinion).

So I at the moment am working on my own photo comic series. I am hoping to do something serious with a long running story arc. So I ask you the fans what sort of things (character developments, storylines etc) would you like to see?
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

An alternate reality in where Beast Wars wasn't cut off in it's 3rd season and everyone remained on earth!
    But if it's to be G1 based, Hmm.. - Maybe, "What if Starscream did honor Unicron's request in re-attaching his head?".
    (Just a thought )

Decent writing which allows for a developing story. I like the way Furman, Roche, Bob Forward and Larry DiTillio write in which they have a simple main story which eventually splinters into little subplots which at first seem insignificant but eventually add up to a big finale complementing the deceptively simple main plot.

Like always the characters are the ones that carry the plot forward so they have to be interesting and good dynamics with one another.

I really liked Furman's "-tion" series, it wasn't always good writing (McGuffins and all) but it was a comic universe with a large scale, where the writer had obviously thought of the plot well in advance and slowly enlarged the story, introducing detailed and three mostly three dimensional characters and places that helped give the universe some background and history.ll

So for me, I like the large over-arching long time story telling to dominate the main line (I suppose that's why I loved Lost), but then on the flip side, I also loved the self contained (but ties into the main story) one shots. Spotlight Kup remains my favourite single issue that IDW TF have produced.

So I would want a G1 based (but not fanwank) with a long overarching plot that unfolds gradually over time, that is largely character based.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I have thoughts on what I'd like IDW to do but that's probably different discussion to waht you're asking.

Wouldn't it be a lot of work to do a photo comic with a long ongoing story? That's what I'd like to see but it's very ambitious but look forward to seeing what you do.

The Mosaic style, short stories that focus on particular characters, could be a good example to follow and you could go past their restrictions to have multiple 'page' stories and have them all fit in a larger continutity.

Is there a particular universe you like that you could use a base (so you don't have to layout the universe as a whole)? Obviously G1 would be the most popular but you could choose comic or cartoon or Dreamwave or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I have thoughts on what I'd like IDW to do but that's probably different discussion to waht you're asking.

Wouldn't it be a lot of work to do a photo comic with a long ongoing story? That's what I'd like to see but it's very ambitious but look forward to seeing what you do.

The Mosaic style, short stories that focus on particular characters, could be a good example to follow and you could go past their restrictions to have multiple 'page' stories and have them all fit in a larger continutity.

Is there a particular universe you like that you could use a base (so you don't have to layout the universe as a whole)? Obviously G1 would be the most popular but you could choose comic or cartoon or Dreamwave or whatever.

Basically I'm looking at a G1 based theme using mainly classic toys for reasonable articulation. Based on Cybertron so no humans are involved. Although it will refer to Earth as the Transformers have returned to Cybertron from Earth. (explaining Earth alt modes)

It is a big task I'm undertaking but I usually take on several big tasks at once as I don't get too bored with the one project. At the moment this, studying Martial Arts and learning the guitar are my big projects. I already have a few main sets built usuing Games Workshop style designs mainly from cardboard so they are collapsable for easy storage and can be mixed up for use in various settings. I also have found some reasonable software to use that should make it look alright.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    Basically I'm looking at a G1 based theme using mainly classic toys for reasonable articulation. Based on Cybertron so no humans are involved. Although it will refer to Earth as the Transformers have returned to Cybertron from Earth. (explaining Earth alt modes)

It is a big task I'm undertaking but I usually take on several big tasks at once as I don't get too bored with the one project. At the moment this, studying Martial Arts and learning the guitar are my big projects. I already have a few main sets built usuing Games Workshop style designs mainly from cardboard so they are collapsable for easy storage and can be mixed up for use in various settings. I also have found some reasonable software to use that should make it look alright.
    Sounds good. You and Tallestblue might be in a race to see who can get their Photocomic done first

Wow, big undertaking, I only got into the comics with DW, which I loved the artistic styling of <<cringe>> please don't hit me. I generally liked the story line too with the ark disaster and resulting fallout. I'm not a fan though of great characters (like Superion) getting 2 frames to look cool and then be obliterated.

I have generally enjoyed the IDW stuff though a lot of the art is not quite to the crisp standard that I thought DW set. I prefer stories that move well, though not so fast that you turn 5 pages and don't know what has happened because half the action was set in the background of a frame that wasn't actually a feature on the page.

that said, I don't like it when every little detail is explained to the finest point so much that half the space or text could be used to make exactly the same point. Not too much spoon feeding.

I wish you all the best in you're endeavour, are you gonig to present here or are you going to develop you're own webcomic site?

I also really look forward to seeing your work.

I like seeing more of Cybertron's environs (sorry, not saying this to be spiteful because I know you're doing a photocomic, but it's really what I wanna see more of).

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    Wow, big undertaking, I only got into the comics with DW, which I loved the artistic styling of <<cringe>> please don't hit me.
    *Throws rotten tomatoes... :P

But on the original topic, a couple of photocomics that i have loved, set in-universe, are Obsidian's Lament and Out of the Dead Land. Both can be found on TFW. (I'm pretty sure, maybe the Allspark. It's been a while since I read them.) Both have a set of characters actually dealing with, responding to, and evolving as characters due to events that have happened either in the story or because of events in the past.

I suppose the common thread between the two is strong, consistent characterisation.