Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: ... I would have waited an eternity for these...

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Ah ok, so it's not as rare as the Dino Cassettes then but it is still quite rare - very intriguing indeed.
    I think that, though they're not as minty as that previous set you describe, this set in it's C8.5-9 box and C9-9.5 figures at least show that they're legitimate and not questionable if you know what I mean.
    Whilst you're in a different league HD, I'm glad you found a set for a price that you found acceptable - I admire your strength to walk away from something if the price being asked is ridiculous, even though you may want it feverishly!
    Hmmm... I don't know for sure in terms of it's relative rarity with the dino-cassettes. Like I always say, "rarity" depends on the sum of a person's experience. If one comes across it often, it appears less rare; if one has never come across it before, it is rare. But what I come across may not be what you would come across and vice versa.

To me, the dino-cassettes are rarer.

I have seen Guard City on auctions (eBay, Yahoo HK, Yahoo Japan, iOffer) and physically handled 2 previous sets before. I don't see that many dino-cassettes on auction (at least almost never on YHK or YHJ), and I've never physically handled any of them aside from my ones and the AFA ones jgon has (which doesn't count cos all I was touching are the AFA plastic cases!).

This set is legitimate! Hahaha... but because its 'made in China', the quality is actually slightly questionable.

Oh yeah dude, I agree that rarity is certainly subjective and relative but I'd also agree that the Dino Cassettes are far rarer, baring in mind I'd never seen a fabled Japanese figure in person until meeting and visiting fellow members and their collections (Such as yourself) - The closest and first was Azrael's MIB Sky-Garry that he very kindly brought down to show me one time.

Oh I've no question of it's legitimacy dude, if you say it is then I don't need any further proof but it just seems that with MIB items, as opposed to MISB items, it is possible that some very unkind people could exchange certain pieces/figures out - You know what I mean?

Regardless, now that you've got these extremely awesome finds man I'm really looking forward to seeing you find those last couple of figures - You're SO close!

I'd also like to see some more crazy Diaclone/Microman acquisitions from Gamblor!

Very nice HD - there must be a big blog update coming soon with all the details how you got them all!

Ah ok, so it's not as rare as the Dino Cassettes then but it is still quite rare - very intriguing indeed.
    I think that, though they're not as minty as that previous set you describe, this set in it's C8.5-9 box and C9-9.5 figures at least show that they're legitimate and not questionable if you know what I mean.
    Whilst you're in a different league HD, I'm glad you found a set for a price that you found acceptable - I admire your strength to walk away from something if the price being asked is ridiculous, even though you may want it feverishly!
    Very true, being a G1 collector myself its easy to buy a boxed g1 and look to 'upgrade' later on hehe.....now wheres that crusty old jazz box I have!?! - plus living HK must help

Very true about the subjective nature of "rarity".

I remember one time a Japanese TF saw my collection for the first - he was absolutely gobsmacked by toys that I didn't think were all that special like the 1988 Targetmasters (e.g. Scoop, Quake, Spinister etc.) and the 1989 Pretenders (e.g. Bludgeon, Pincher, Double header etc.) -- because they're all toys that never came out in Japan, so from a Japanese collector's POV they're rarities.

Then when I brought him to dirge's place, he completely ignored Japanese G1 toys like Lio Kaiser, Landcross etc. and went straight for "mundane" (from our POV) toys like the Triggerbots and Triggercons etc., again, all the toys that Japan never got! He couldn't have cared less for those Japanese G1 toys!

Oh yeah dude, I agree that rarity is certainly subjective and relative but I'd also agree that the Dino Cassettes are far rarer, baring in mind I'd never seen a fabled Japanese figure in person until meeting and visiting fellow members and their collections (Such as yourself) - The closest and first was Azrael's MIB Sky-Garry that he very kindly brought down to show me one time.

*snip*

Regardless, now that you've got these extremely awesome finds man I'm really looking forward to seeing you find those last couple of figures - You're SO close!
    Hmmm... you did manage to see stuff like Grandus, Galaxy Shuttle and the 3 Big Powered robots during my farewell in Sydney? Thought you would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcruncher View Post
    Very nice HD - there must be a big blog update coming soon with all the details how you got them all!

Very true, being a G1 collector myself its easy to buy a boxed g1 and look to 'upgrade' later on hehe.....now wheres that crusty old jazz box I have!?! - plus living HK must help
    Yup, doing the blog soon. For this set of figures, I'm "previewing" them here exclusively first. There are already a number of TFW members and other collectors asking for me to update my blog with them... hahaha... they will have to wait. I'm not done here yet and there are yet rabbits to pull out of the hat.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Very true about the subjective nature of "rarity".

I remember one time a Japanese TF saw my collection for the first - he was absolutely gobsmacked by toys that I didn't think were all that special like the 1988 Targetmasters (e.g. Scoop, Quake, Spinister etc.) and the 1989 Pretenders (e.g. Bludgeon, Pincher, Double header etc.) -- because they're all toys that never came out in Japan, so from a Japanese collector's POV they're rarities.

Then when I brought him to dirge's place, he completely ignored Japanese G1 toys like Lio Kaiser, Landcross etc. and went straight for "mundane" (from our POV) toys like the Triggerbots and Triggercons etc., again, all the toys that Japan never got! He couldn't have cared less for those Japanese G1 toys!
    Not surprising that a Jap fan would react this way. If you asked me back in the early 90s, I wouldnt be too impressed by a Black Zarak either and that's because there were so many in Singapore back in the 80s. But time changes perspectives and which the USA releases were released worldwide, the Japanese exclusives were only released in very limited countries and in small quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    Hmmm... you did manage to see stuff like Grandus, Galaxy Shuttle and the 3 Big Powered robots during my farewell in Sydney? Thought you would have.
    Oh yeah man, seeing those beautiful objects was exactly what I meant, mind you I was too damn scared to touch them even though you offered!
    Those were my first introductions after Azrael's Sky-Garry.

Default C-124: Zauru / Zaur MIB

erm.... so this is #7 out of 6... (confused*)... nah, let's call it Epilogue #1...

This is the final dino-cassette... Hursti, you would be delighted to hear that I did do a clean sweep of all 4! I knew you were rooting for me somewhere.

Like I mentioned earlier, there has been some contention between which is the rarest dino-cassette. Some think that its C-124: Zauru but others think that its C-123: Diaru. Well, either way, it makes Legout (their combined form) rarer than Decibel, that's for sure.

In any case, this is easily one of my favourite dino-cassettes. The transformation is simple, yet very effective to create the lanky look and feel of a "Brontosaurus". The colour is a dark rich blue, but not black. There is a lot of character to this mold. Oh, and the box art is my favourite among the 4, Dairu comes close, but the Zauru box art is awesome!

In any case, what's important to me is that these guys are in the collection as a set.

So, Zauru, the Apatosaurus as Hursti and Sky Shadow decided earlier? Personally, I like Brontosaurus... hahaha...

Photos!

Looking very photogenic and compatible with Bluestreak

Dairu and Zauru combined = Legout!

Knew it! This was extremely obvious! However, beautiful nonetheless

EDIT: God dammit! That is by far my favourite cassette :/ That dino-mode is utterly awesome!
    Too bad I'll never own one...

Knew it. I saw that coming. Congrats HD, you managed to track down some of the figures I want and make me jealous

That looks awesome!! That is by far by favourite cassette. Nice work