Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by The_Damned View Post
    yep what he said. my family and i enjoyed tin tin. just watched paul the other day i found it hilarious.
    Paul is a great movie, it's one of those movies I pop into my DVD player every now and then to have a good laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    Hugo (2012) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hugo/

I'm simply astounded at the high scores this film is receiving. Yes, it looks pretty but that's not exactly why I go to the movies. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen and it just never did! Boring as bat ****, overly long and totally rubbish humour. 3/10
    Judging by the trailers I didn't get the whole appeal of Hugo, good thing I skipped it too.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    Judging by the trailers I didn't get the whole appeal of Hugo, good thing I skipped it too.
    David and Margaret gave it 5 and 4.5 stars which compelled me to see what the fuss was about. I found the trailer to be pretty misleading, I got the impression that the robot was magical or something but it ended up being as boring as the rest of the film. The real subject matter was the last thing I was expecting (or wanting to see ).

Have you checked out Pontypool yet Skywarp?

I still have to check out Paul. Loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz though so I expect I'll enjoy it.

I still have to check out Paul. Loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz though so I expect I'll enjoy it.
    Paul is awesome, except I had real troubles separating the voice from Seth Rogan , certainly doesn't detract from what was otherwise a thoroughly funny film.

David and Margaret gave it 5 and 4.5 stars which compelled me to see what the fuss was about. I found the trailer to be pretty misleading, I got the impression that the robot was magical or something but it ended up being as boring as the rest of the film. The real subject matter was the last thing I was expecting (or wanting to see ).

Have you checked out Pontypool yet Skywarp?

Just acquired Pontypool and Citizen Kane, not game enough to watch Pontypool at this time of night. Might do so tomorrow

Bug (2006) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bug/

Quite an interesting film this one, kept me guessing right until the rather sad ending. It's very much a psychological drama with some Cronenberg-esque body gore (if you thought the tooth scene in Oldboy was bad, think again ) based around themes of loneliness, abuse, passion (and what it can drive people to do)...Cheery stuff like that. 6/10

Home Movie (2008) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1218197-home_movie/

I loved this movie! It features no gore, no "BOO!" moments but ended up being one of the most frightening and suspenseful movies I've seen in a long time.

This is one of those films you'll be thinking about for days. You'll argue with your friends about the ending and whether it was really plausible or not and have fun watching it again picking up all the many clues leading up to the climactic ending. The last shot of the film is a culmination of all these clues showcased in one suitably epic scene. *shudders*

I personally felt that one critical moment before the finale was pretty implausible (one of those "surely they're not that stupid" moments), however, everything else that happened after is plausible (a few clues throughout the movie show quite clearly that the "troubled" offenders are more than meets the eye). I can forgive this though because it ratchets up the tension to an unbelievable level and makes way for a truly memorable ending.

I urge people to see this little known flick, it's a real gem. 8/10

Underworld Awakening (2012) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/underworld_awakening/

Saw this on the opening weekend and must say that I was impressed. It was an excellent chapter in the Underworld saga and it's great to see Kate Beckinsale back as Selene - the tight black outfit doesn't hurt either The ending of the film sets up a fifth installment quite nicely. Highly recommended and IMO the best in the series 9/10
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Just watched Arrietty yesterday (latest Ghibli animé - same studio that produced Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbour Totoro, Ponyo etc etc.) -- absolutely brilliant! The story is a loose adaptation of Mary Norton's The Borrowers, and in that context it's reasonably faithful to the basic plot and spirit of the original story, but there are notable changes (the Clocks and Spiller are the only Borrowers - we don't see any others). Fantastic music from Cécile Corbel (listening her sing Arrietty's song in English/Japanese w/ a French-Bretonne accent is interesting ).

The special features disc was a tad disappointing - they play the entire movie in storyboards (which is great for film buffs) and they show every single variant commercial and there are a few trailers for other animé titles... but that was it. Nothing on the making or behind the scenes stuff or even a music video for Arrietty's Song which I would have loved to see.

But the film itself I cannot really fault - absolutely brilliant viewing pleasure. The behaviour of Niya is a bit odd for a cat toward the end, but you just have to suspend disbelief and lose yourself in the fantasy and believe that the cat is more kind-hearted or intelligent than the average cat who would've just eaten the Borrowers when he could've - but I guess they needed a plot device to reunite Sho with Arrietty at the end.

The film marks the directorial debut of Yonebayashi Hiromasa who has previously worked as an animator on previous Ghibli works and other non-Ghibli animé like Serial Experiments Lain; he's also the youngest person to direct a Ghibli animé - and I dare say I prefer his directing over that of Miyazaki Hayao's own son, Miyazaki Gorou (directed Tales of Earthsea - which is still a very nice film in its own right, but I enjoyed Arrietty a lot more). Arrietty stars Shida Mirai as the story's protagonist Arrietty Clock (the film doesn't provide their surnames so she's just called "Arrietty" in the movie); a relatively unknown actor (she's had some minor roles in other anime and tokusatsu titles). Fellow child (well, they're both 18 now) actor Kamiki Ryuunosuke plays Sho who previously voiced the baby Boh in Spirited Away and Markl in Howl's Moving Castle - and he's had supporting roles in several other anime/tokusatsu titles (including the Overlord of Darkness in Kamen Rider Agito). Ootake Shinobu plays Arrietty's mother Homily Clock - who is primarily a stage actress. Established Japanese film actor Miura Tomozaku plays Arrietty's father Pod Clock (he was the dub-voice for Bob Parr/Mr. Incredible in the Japanese dub of The Incredibles) and film/TV actress Kiki Kirin plays Haru (based on the character of Mrs. Driver in the book). Dreadful Spiller (who is just called "Spiller" in the film) is voiced by Fujiwara Tatsuya whom some of you may remember as Light Yagami in the Death Note live action films.

Highly recommended, absolutely wonderful viewing for all ages.