View Poll Results: TFPrime Voy Optimus v2 - worth buying?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 10.00%
  • Only if...

5 50.00%
  • No

4 40.00%
  • Not interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - TFPrime Voyager Optimus Prime v2

Default Toy Review - TFPrime Voyager Optimus Prime v2

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details)

Toy Review - Optimus Prime
    Series - Transformers Prime
    Sub-line - Robots in Disguise
    Size/class - Voyager/Powerizer
    Wave - 1
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Released here - March 2012 (Released globally Jan 2012)
    Approximate Retail Price - ($45-50?) US$20
    Approximate Size - (18cm?)
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - parts that are illuminated from light-sources
    Main Colours - Red, blue, grey
    Main Accessories - Sword, gun

Last edited by griffin; 17th March 2012 at 03:22 AM.

I'll consider it if they bring him out as Orion Pax. Providing he has a new face sculpt. Hopefully some better paint apps on the chest too.
    Blech at the clear plastic arms

Seriously. WTF is this piece of garbage. Just re-release the damn First Edition.

(Yes I am VERY mad about them not coming out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallestblue View Post
    Seriously. WTF is this piece of garbage. Just re-release the damn First Edition.

(Yes I am VERY mad about them not coming out.)
    +1
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

Comparison pics between Hasbro First Edition Voyager, Takara First Edition Voyager and PRiDE Voyager Optimus Primes have been posted here

I don't mind him. I don't mind the clear blue forearms and the sword. What I don't like is the gun.

I had the opportunity to examine griffin's PRiDE Voyager Optimus Prime and compare it with both his Hasbro FE Voyager and my Takara FE Voyager Optimus Prime, and I gotta say, the First Edition Voyager mould is superior to PRiDE Optimus Prime hands down.

The only positive thing I can say about PRiDE OP is that he's easier to transform... because the engineering is so much simpler. But FE Prime's transformation isn't frustrating difficult or anything, so PRiDE Optimus Prime's transformation is useful for very young children who may lack the patience or motor skills to transform FE OP - but otherwise offers inferior value for money compared to FE-OP.

The simplified transformation/engineering also makes the robot mode look not as nice as FE-OP, making this toy a lot more kibble-rrific. The sword is fine, although not as screen-like as FE-OP; but there's fundamentally nothing wrong with it. The chest and upper body just look ridiculous and the chest-windows don't seem to hold out properly and have a tendency to pop back in during excessive handling/play.

The gun gimmick is forgettable, although I must say that IMO it works and looks a lot better than the gun gimmick on Megatron (not that PRiDE Megaton sets a very high standard or anything ). At least PRiDE OP's gun does sit flush with the forearm, meaning that the light is piped into the blue parts -- whereas Megatron's weapon "bleeds" the light out because it's not directly connected to his purple transparent bits, making the light pipe rather useless. So as lame as the design of this gimmick may be, it's better executed on Optimus Prime than it is on Megatron.

This toy is by far the poorest of the Voyager TF Prime Optimus Prime toys... if I didn't know any better I'd think it was a poor KO of FE Voyager Prime. I cannot think of a single reason to recommend this toy... even Deluxe Optimus Prime is a better figure than this toy. So even if you find him discounted to the price of a Deluxe, I'd recommend just getting the Deluxe! Unless you can find this toy at the price of a Scout Class or cheaper, I'd recommend avoiding it and getting any of the First Edition Optimus Primes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallestblue View Post
    Seriously. WTF is this piece of garbage.
    "Piece of garbage" is a very apt description.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    I'll consider it if they bring him out as Orion Pax. Providing he has a new face sculpt. Hopefully some better paint apps on the chest too.
    Blech at the clear plastic arms
    Better yet - retool the Deluxe figure and release him as Orion Pax. A cheaper and superior figure to this mould.

Writing essay's again gok

Question: since FE Prime is sitting around the $70 - $80 mark on the secondary market, does paying $40 - $50 for a PRiDE Voyager Prime make it then better or equivalent value for money. or still worse value for money if you're looking for a big Prime to lead your Autobots.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    Question: since FE Prime is sitting around the $70 - $80 mark on the secondary market, does paying $40 - $50 for a PRiDE Voyager Prime make it then better or equivalent value for money. or still worse value for money if you're looking for a big Prime to lead your Autobots.
    Pay the extra $18. You won't regret it.