View Poll Results: How do you rate Operation Bumblebee Part 1?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • In a word... PRIME!

1 14.29%
  • yUm JaM!

3 42.86%
  • jAam!

3 42.86%
  • WhY mY ShOuLdErS hUrT?

0 0%
  • mY liFE iS PaIN

0 0%

Thread: Episode Review: Transformers Prime Episode 30: Operation Bumblebee Part 1

Default Episode Review: Transformers Prime Episode 30: Operation Bumblebee Part 1

Thoughts:

+ Seeing Megatron reaping the rewards of Orion Pax's work was interesting - especially the way he rubbed it in Optimus' face, which later becomes an emotional burden for him.

+ T'was cool seeing Bumblebee in action with his vehicle mode -- more often we see Transformers battling in robot mode and using their vehicle mode for transportation. It's more reminiscent of the live action movies where they rely on their alt modes more (possibly as a cost cutting measure as it means less CG animation on screen ). Of course it's all a set up for the story's main complication - but at the time I was watching I didn't know this and it looked cool.

+ Interesting seeing MECH come back... I know some people don't like them, but I don't mind them, using their increasing knowledge of Cybertronians and their guile to their advantage. Only thing is... how did Starscream manage to sneak up on them and peek through their door like that?? Don't they have radar, CCTV surveillance or even a watchdog?!? Oops, how'd that giant robot slip by our security?? Riiight.

+ Seeing MECH extract Bumblebee's Transformation Cog was morbid and interesting... not fond of them calling it a "T-Cog"... feels like they're dumbing things down for the audience. Just call it a "Transformation Cog" like they did in the G1 cartoon... sheesh.

+ Having the Transformation Cog and other components like voice modulators being described as "organs" was interesting and also explains why they don't just build new parts and replace them. Apparently some parts of a Cybertronian can be easily replaced (e.g. limbs) while others aren't. I cringed at the description of this as "biotechnology" though as it's clearly not. (-_-) It's as if they just wanna use that word cos it sounds like it could be bio-robotic when it's far from it. I also cringed when a previous episode similarly misused the word "biomechanics." -- I don't mind kids' cartoons use more complex words, but they should use it properly. As Michael McConnohie once said, don't talk down to kids; they may not understand these words now, but just give them a few years and if the show's any good they'll still be watching it.

+ Oh hey... Bumblebee's lack of voice is finally explained in the cartoon! You mean the whole time nobody thought to ask why he can't talk while the rest of them can?!? That... that's nearly as stupid as say having an entirely galaxy full of various sentient species and NONE of them asking why Astromechs can't talk and only beep when other robots can blab their mouths off!!

+ zOMG... how annoying is Bumblebee in this episode after he loses his Transformer Cog?!? I was just thinking to myself, "Man, he's as bad as Miko!" then Bulkhead opened up his mouth and said the same thing. Not a good thing! <shudder> Just when I was getting used to seeing Miko have a reduced role... now Bumblebee picks up the "Jar Jar Binks" ball and runs with it? Please no... seeing Bumblebee in action after that was more painful than entertaining. Although there were two moments that amused me:
    (1) Seeing that Bumblebee can't even operate his own weaponry without his Transformation Cog.
    (2) Seeing Knock Out's "WTH?!" reaction seeing Bumblebee run after him... then stopping to see what was happening - contemplating about mocking him by doing doughies around him, but lamenting that his mission didn't give him the luxury to do this! Lol!

Overall a decent episode and I like how MECH continues to be a credible threat as human antagonists. However I felt it lacked the 'punch' of the Orion Pax story arc - mostly due to Bumblebee's lameness when he insisted on going out in the field (and Bulkhead letting him against all better judgment). I give it 2.5/5 which, for this thread poll rounds up to level 3:
    <---just

Maybe I'm in the minority but I actually like TFP Bumblebee, he makes me chuckle every now and then and I think he adds a nice light-hearted element to the show with his Wall-e like beeps and whirs. And of course he's quite a bit more animated to make up for the fact that he can't speak.

Keeping that in mind, I quite enjoyed this episode and was glad that they explained how Bee's voice box was damaged, even if it was predictable and not as heart wrenching as it could have been (would have loved an epic little battle between Bee and Megs followed by the harrowing moment Bee tries to talk but can't - mind you I am a sucker for writers/directors that wring every ounce of drama and emotion out of a scene ).

I hated the scene in the Transformers movie (2007) when they captured Bee and I felt just as mad when MECH took the T-Cog from Bee in Prime, haha. I wanted to scream "Leave him alone! Hasn't he been through enough?!" Poor Bee, hope he catches a break in the next episode. If not, he can always walk into Toys 'r' Us and look at the thousands upon thousands of toys made in his honour.
    Last edited by Doubledealer; 13th March 2012 at 04:24 AM.

This episode was ok, nothing too great but some very entertaining scenes however and directed by Marty Isenberg no less!
    (As pointed out to me by Vangelus )

*I sincerely hope they don't fall back into the weekly cosmic MacGuffin trope again, or at least for anything more than 1 or 2 episodes as that will get a bit annoying IMO; much like BBs incessant 'Pong'-ing in this epsiode, I quite liked how he obtained the Spark-Extractor from Megatron though as well as how he was mutilated and had an organ flogged.

*I actually prefer the name 'T-Cog' to transformation cog as I don't think it is so much a 'dumbing down' of the term but more so a better, more modern name being given as the original name these days sounds very dated/cheesy IMO.

*Prime has still neglected to thank Jack for his efforts again, or Arcee for that matter, hell Jack wasn't even in the episode!

*Ratchet's exposition on the history of BBs voicebox was quite cool, I personally would've liked to of seen Megatron actually 'extracting' it but I'll settle with being BB an inch from having his spark extinguished.
    (I don't hate the guy, I just love Automaton mutilation )

*Starscream teaming up with M.E.C.H. certainly has its possibilities, it'll be interesting to see how 'Project: Chimera' plays out from this point forward as this might also explain the addition of a couple of new characters perhaps?

Again, good episode but I'll be looking forward to seeing the end of this BB focussed 2-parter.

I don't dislike the TFP Bumblebee character per se, or the fact that he beeps instead of talking. What I disliked in this episode was how he went all "Miko" (re: Jar Jar) and went to the effort of making himself a nuisance! I was empathising with Bumblebee throughout the episode until he started insisting on going out instead of staying at the base like he should have. Then I lost all sympathy for him... yeah alright, I get the fact that he's upset about losing an important part of himself and a definitive part of their species - and also feeling more like a burden and losing his purpose in the team etc. - but the whole "but I wanna be useful!" thing got annoying. Yeah, you'll be useful by tagging along and becoming a liability in the field.

Like Bulkhead said, Bumblebee was acting like Miko... and Miko has always been my single most loathed character in TF Prime. If he'd just stayed at the based and sulked, then I would've maintained sympathy for him. I guess I would've liked to see a better motivation to get Bumblebee out of the base other than, "But I waaaannnnaaaa!" -- maybe have Raf in danger and the other Autobots are preoccupied and Bumblebee's the only one who can respond? Surely something better could've been done.

As for the voice thing, I don't object to the beeping... I just find it funny that after 29 episodes NONE of the kids thought to ask why Bumblebee can't talk! Oh, so NOW they want to know?? Up until the moment that Bumblebee left the base, I quite enjoyed this episode.

Another cool thing? We see Ratchet in alt mode!! (a rare sight indeed)

Hursti: we do see Jack and Arcee in this episode -- for some strange reason she was trying to beat her own personal speed record, which seems somewhat out of character for Arcee who's normally quite strict on keeping a low profile outside of Autobot HQ... and Jack who's normally not a hoon unless he's trying to impress a girl.

@Goki: Thanks for reminding me dude, I guess I forgot because it was such a throw away scene seeing as though it was only supposed to reinforce BBs predicament.

I'd also like to agree that it was cool seeing Ratchet in his Alt mode again, seeing Raf getting picked up by him reminded me of my Primary School days where my Father would occasionally pick-up/drop-off my Brothers and I in the Ambulance or Rescue Truck - Good memories actually.

I enjoy any episode where Ratchet is active in some sort of battle. Was really getting sick of him staying back at base all the time.

Yep, I enjoy a Ratchet heavy episode as well. I liked the way they managed to convey a feeling of failure in Ratchet in regards to BB's voicebox. You can see that being unable to help really wieghs heavily on him.

The opeing scene with BB retrieving that spark extractor was awesome! I even rewound it and watched it again! That's what I like to see, Transformers using their vehicle modes seamlessly in battle, which is something we rarely see. I did question why Megatron didn't transform to chase BB though...

The MECH guys remind me of the Road Jammers and I hope to see more of them (as long as they are a proper threat). I was thinking that if they get that robot working, we could end up with a Centurion character on our hands...

The Knockout time was great! I think I love Knockout as much as Ratchet! And the ensuing chase with BB grabbing the old truck! Nice improvisation, well until it broke...

What I found really interesting was when BB tried Transforming just after having his T-cog removed. In the shot where it shows his chest about to Transform, the bumper section moves in two different ways each time (first up and then outwards IIRC).

Could this mean that the Transformers can change the 'way' they Transform? If so, this could explain the slow and fast Tfing in the movie. (which my friends always questioned; "Why does Optimus TF so slow in the base, but can go really fast in battle?).

But BB was annoying with his impulsiveness. Hopefully this will be a lesson to him and he will learn that there is more to battle than just speed and action. Now I await another Bumblebee figure that can't transform and it will be called "MECH Victim Bumblebee."

As for Ratchet in the field of battle, even though it is nice to see him, he is old and probably better suited at the base, although I can see he still manages to kick a bit of arse when required!

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Could this mean that the Transformers can change the 'way' they Transform? If so, this could explain the slow and fast Tfing in the movie. (which my friends always questioned; "Why does Optimus TF so slow in the base, but can go really fast in battle?).
    I think transforming is like any other kind of movement - they can do it slow or fast, like running or driving etc. In battle you gotta be quick but if you're not in a fight then you have the luxury to take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I think transforming is like any other kind of movement - they can do it slow or fast, like running or driving etc. In battle you gotta be quick but if you're not in a fight then you have the luxury to take your time.
    Yeah, but in relation to Bumblebee, it looked like there were 2 different ways for him to transform, first off, his bumper goes up. Fail, Second attempt, bumper goes sideways. This says to me that they have more than one way for their pieces to transform.