Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Review: Transformers Regeneration One

I received my copy last week, again courtesy of Sharky , and I've got to say that I didn't mind it; I too think that there should've been more focus on Grimlock (Seeing as it is Dinobot Month after all ) but I was pretty happy with the pacing, maybe I've been spoilt by the TPBs but IMO if they were to cram too much into single issues then nothing would get covered properly.

Very much looking forward to the next issue, Ratchet's Head being jammed in that sled was awesome - With his perpetual look of agony & fright being of particular delight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    I received my copy last week, again courtesy of Sharky , and I've got to say that I didn't mind it; I too think that there should've been more focus on Grimlock (Seeing as it is Dinobot Month after all ) but I was pretty happy with the pacing, maybe I've been spoilt by the TPBs but IMO if they were to cram too much into single issues then nothing would get covered properly.
    Sorry Hursty but I disagree. MTMTE issues cover a lot more in the same amount of pages and leave you satisfied after reading a single issue. The original Marvel issues used to do the same.

It is still early days but if nothing really moves forward by the next issue then things will begin to go downwards. Frankly, I am not really enjoying the story Furman is telling so far, the whole Apocalyptically destroyed Earth rubs me the wrong way and so does 'zombie' Decepticons. There isn't much that is clever about the narrative at this point, I hope that changes.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Sorry Hursty but I disagree. MTMTE issues cover a lot more in the same amount of pages and leave you satisfied after reading a single issue. The original Marvel issues used to do the same.

It is still early days but if nothing really moves forward by the next issue then things will begin to go downwards. Frankly, I am not really enjoying the story Furman is telling so far, the whole Apocalyptically destroyed Earth rubs me the wrong way and so does 'zombie' Decepticons. There isn't much that is clever about the narrative at this point, I hope that changes.
    That's cool man, as I mentioned - I think I've been spoilt by the Titan TPBs.

Admittedly I do wish there was more in the 1st 2 issues thus far but then, I'd also like them to be the length of each TPB (But that's obviously silly talk ); I'm as newb as they come when the 'Comic World' is concerned, all I know is that I like art & I like Scifi about/involving Robits and these comics tick those boxes.

I finally read the issue, and agree there isn't a great deal happening. it's not a bad issue, it's just not addressing any of the points of interest the previous issues have come up with and thus feels lackluster.

There are all sorts of interesting questions waiting to be answered, such as what happened to earth? what became of some of the Nucleon revived Autobots, where is Bludgeon hiding out etc, but no real movement this issue.

I did kind of like the idea of the Lazarus project, its kind of picking up on an obscure plot point of what became of the Headmasters original heads, though why aliens would name their project after a figure from an Earth bible story is beyond me.

It also seems like Scorponok could be back (in some form), hmm I hope Furman's just not going to bring everyone back or this is just going to get silly. In that regard I didn't actually mind the zombie cons as it allowed us to see some old cameos without the full "Lazarus treatment".

I guess we should be thankfull Furman wrote an issue for Dinobot month without letting Grimlock steal the whole show.

Just picked up the latest issue... it answers some more questions (but still not all). So we now know:
    + What happened to Earth
    + Where Bludgeon and his crew are
    + What happened to Thunderwing

The issue also reveals the true identity of Circuit Smasher, which I totally did _not_ see coming! Nice surprise there! The only slightly sad thing about this issue is that it does very conclusive rule G2 out of continuity with this series (aww, I was hoping they'd include it or leave it ambiguous... yeah, I know Furman did say from the outset that he was going to ignore G2. )

Loved the reveals regarding Fort Max and Circuit Smasher, I too was not expecting that story.

I like that everything just seems to be falling in place for the Decepticons right now by luck rather than any overarching grand scheme...

Art is very good, both humans and robots look right and are scaled well.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

This issue was better than the previous ones, I like that they explained what happened on earth, and also referenced the Underbase saga from old marvel continuity, as probably the first major bot massacre of the US series it makes sense that it's effects are so far reaching.

I did see Circuit Smashers identity coming, (It's always Spike damnit). I was hoping it would be Buster or Ethan Zachary.

Did everyone notice those Neo Knight like silhouettes in one for the flashback panels?

One thing though since when did GB Blackrock become a such a whizz at science? Sure he was always a genius business man, but now he's gone all Tony Stark/ Proffesor X. I guess that's what the apocalypse does to some people.

Spoilahs ahead yo

Blackrock sure did look a lot like Tony Stark -- at least he did to me when I was a kid. I'm sure one wouldn't go investing and developing so much high tech if he wasn't reasonably cluey about it. <shrug>

As for Hippie-Spike over Buster or Ethan (or Charlie Fong ), I guess it's because he's the one human on the planet who has Nebulan Bio Engineering in him. It's interesting how they've also explained how binary bonding involved permanent cybernetic implants; because in the original G1 comics - to me at least - it felt more vague... more like "binary bonding" meant putting on a cool exo-suit that let you transform and binary bond with a Transformer -- but otherwise you were just a regular human. And I thought that prolonged exposure to the technology allowed users to form a psychic link with their TF partners which was amplified by the tech. But being cyborgs does make sense, and explains why Sparkplug spiraled into anger and depression after seeing what they'd done to Spike (as well as the ordeal that Buster had been through).

I am pretty sure that it was clearly defined in Marvel that binary bonding involved a lot more than putting on a fancy suit

I enjoyed this issue a lot more because it is now putting in a more solid foundation for a story with better links to the original Marvel run. It feels more defined as a continuation now by having GB Blackrock, acknowledging the Neo-Knights (including Circuit Breaker within legal capacity) but most importantly, former big events like the Underbase Saga.

The best thing though is that now the story has gained focus and and it's moving along with good traction. Although I am not a fan of the 'Post-Apocalypse' Earth angle, the explanation in the story was good enough to allow me to accept it and enjoy the story for what it is.

After this issue, Re-Generations has certainly picked up for me. I still have some issues with the story but issue 83 has engaged me enough to anticipate the next issue.

Default Circuit Me, Circuit You

Got the issue today (along with the missing Captain Atom comic I've been moaning about). The only problem is that they should have called Spike the Circuit Buster as a shout-out to his brother.