Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WANTED - Rock Lords, Dino Riders, Ring Raiders, Voltron

Default WANTED - Rock Lords, Dino Riders, Ring Raiders, Voltron, M.A.S.K

I am after some 80's toys to fill out my retro collection and finish off some stuff i have.
    Rock Lords - This is all Steve's fault (Geigerrock-2) for pointing out how few there are to collect. I have Boulder, Magmar, Slimestone, Stoneheart with Nugget and Marbles on the way (thanks Steve). I'm after the rest of them at reasonable prices. They don't have to be perfect but do need to transform.

Dino Riders - I have a heap of Dino Rider figures from my childhood (i never seemed to get a dinosaur) and would like a few good and evil dinosaurs to display with the figures (at the moment it looks like a bunch of random guys standing around). I would like them to be complete but they do not need boxes (i don't really want to pay the extra for ones with boxes). I don't care what ones they are although I'm sure i cannot afford T-Rex and Diplodocus.

Ring Raiders - I have about a dozen of these with and without rings. I would like to at least have rings for all the ones i have. If you have rings with rubbish planes i would still be interested.

Voltron - I have Lion Voltron, a King Zarkon figure and a smaller scale rubber Lion Voltron and Vehicle Voltron. i had Voltrons sword as a kid and can't remember what happened to it. I don't really know what other toys were released but i am mainly after stuff that goes with the big Lion Voltron.

Battle Beasts - I've posted this already. i'm after Battle Beasts for a mates collection.

M.A.S.K - This is for a mates collection. he has decided to collect the stuff i am not so together we have mega awesome huge collection!

I don't really want to pay top dollar for this stuff as its more of a secondary collection (actually more like 5th collection)and i just want to fill out the shelf a bit. I would prefer all loose items as i don't really want to pay for packaging. I'm happy to buy bulk lots if the price is right.
    I know I'm new here but i have already dealt with a few guys who will hopefully vouch for me and any dealings we have had.
    Cheers, Ken
    Last edited by spiderken17; 14th August 2012 at 08:58 PM.

Argh!
    If you were around the boards a couple of months ago I could've given you a Rocklord Pulver-Eyes, as I too am collecting these awesome little buggers and have had quite a bit of help from Geiger also!

My recommendation is to keep your eyes peeled on eBay UK, they've often got quite a number listed there for some fairly reasonable prices & with non-BS postage prices to boot!

Cool, thanks for the help.
    Spiderken Away!

I just hate Rock Lords... man those pegwarmers suck! I had Pulver-Eyes, but I've lost him... if I ever find him or any of my Go-Bots at my parents' house you can have them for free... unless they've been chucked out in which case good riddance. I bet they're hard to find because nobody bought them back in the day! (it'd be similar to why a lot of late G1 toys are harder to find than early G1 toys: less kids who bought them = less second hand toys available on the aftermarket).

Oh gawd... now I'm having flashbacks from the Rock Lords movie...

...Battle of the Rock Lords is right down there with the Star Wars Holiday Special and Highlander 2.

Btw Hursti, do you have a copy of this movie? If you like, I can try and see if I can find my VHS copy and lend it to you at the next meet.

Did someone sip a bit too much Haterade last night.
    Rock Lords rock..
    I've seen highlander 2 so, if your comparing the other 2 flicks to that, I won't be watching them

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Btw Hursti, do you have a copy of this movie? If you like, I can try and see if I can find my VHS copy and lend it to you at the next meet.
    Goki dude, sometimes you really need to do this when other toy lines are considered.
    Oh you had better believe that I have a *cough* Digitally-Relocated copy of the Rocklords Movie; it might be bad, but it's that bad that it's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Geigerrock-2 View Post
    Rock Lords rock..
    QFT

Did someone sip a bit too much Haterade last night.
    Rock Lords rock..
    If by "yesterday" you mean "1986", then umm... okay, lemme put it this way -- GoBots were already pretty suckful to me after Transformers came out, so for 2 years already I'd seen the light and moved on from the Machine Men and joined the Transformers side. In 1986 the Transformers gives us new toys like Hubcap, Outback, Blades, Air Raid, Blast Off, Brawl, Breakdown, Dead End, Drag Strip, Eject, Ramhorn, Rewind, Steeljaw, Ratbat, Pipes, Slingshot, Skydive, Streetwise, Groove, First Aid, Swindle, Swerve, Tailgate, Vortex, Wildrider et al. -- I'm just comparing carded figures here, since that's what the Rock Lords were. I'm not gonna compare them with larger and more expensive boxed figures, but let's look at similarly priced carded figures (though granted Go-Bots were generally cheaper than Transformers, as Clerks II said, they were the "Kmart of Transformers" (i.e. cheap and nasty)).

All these Transformer toys transformed from decent looking robots into decent vehicles. I wouldn't look at any of those TF toys and thought that they were crap in 1986 -- the only ones that I was disappointed with were the Battlechargers and Wheelie (especially the former as they were more pricey). But even they don't suck as bad as Rock Lords. Oh, and IIRC Rock Lords were a bit more expensive than the average carded Go-Bot.

So what did you get when you bought a Rock Lord? You get this humanoid looking thing... I guess it's a robot, but it's really a humanoid rock golem... that supposedly transforms into a rock, but one could mistake it for a lump of excrement. And their awfully blocky rocks at that... since when are rocks rectangular?? (o_O) Are these Rock Lords or Brick Lords??? Now let's look at the play value -- when other Transformers and even Go-Bots transform into vehicles, they can drive or fly around. Heck, even as animals they can move about and do stuff. Transform to rock mode! Okay, now just sit there and gather moss. Oooh, how exciting!!

Then of course, we had the two movies hit cinemas. We had Transformers The Movie - animated by Toei in Japan and based on the popular TV series which, IMO, was always better than Challenge of the Go-Bots. Transformers The Movie proved to be a major event in Transformers lore that changed things forever; and it was suddenly more "mature" than the TV series with casualties and a rocking soundtrack. The only celebrity voice actor I knew was Leonard Nimoy, and he played a mean Galvatron. Then you had Battle of the Rock Lords, with incredibly pedestrian animation by Hanna Barbera, a totally forgettable insular story -- and to their credit they did pull in a pretty impressive celebrity cast ensemble, but the only one I recognised was Margot Kidder... who, to be frank, my 1986-self didn't care about all that much (yes, I knew her as Lois Lane and the narrator of the Wizard of Oz... but erm... still didn't care). Now... which movie did YOU go and watch? Did you go see Transformers, Rock Lords or both? My parents would let me watch one movie -- and I chose Transformers. To be fair, both Transformers and Rock Lords performed badly in box office sales, but Rock Lords performed considerably worse -- grossing US$1.5 million whereas Transformers the Movie grossed approx. US$5.8 million (domestically for both).

...I can't believe I just rated G1 Wheelie as being a comparatively good toy (as he was one of the worst Transformer toys in that year), but seriously, the Rock Lords made Wheelie look good. The Rock Lords also had some quality issues, I saw some other kids who had Rock Lords that broke really easily. The gun post of my Pulver-Eyes snapped off easily. Admittedly some of the 1988 Pretenders had that problem too (looking at you, Waverider!), but by 1986 standards at least, this wasn't an issue with Transformers AFAIK. But I will say that it was cool that the Rock Lords had guns, instead of shooting from their fists like other Go-Bots. That's probably the only compliment I can give them.

I've seen highlander 2 so, if your comparing the other 2 flicks to that, I won't be watching them
    To be honest... I haven't seen Highlander 2. All my friends tell me not to (and some have threatened to hurt me if I do ) -- I have seen the Star Wars Holiday Special and the Rock Lords Movie... both excruciatingly painful experience (although Star Wars Ep 4.5 is _kinda_ redeemable just because it's so hilariously bad -- and also, it's in continuity and it was also the world's first appearance of Boba Fett!). Still... I reckon all these films are used as methods of torture for prisoners of war. If my captors tied me down, taped my eyes open and forced me watch Rock Lords and Star Wars Holiday Special back to back repeatedly... I'd crack.

Anyway, if you feel like subjecting yourself to 1'54" of self-inflicted abuse, then feel free to watch the Rock Lords movie trailer here. I bear no responsibility for any mental or emotional damage that you may^will incur from watching this trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Goki dude, sometimes you really need to do this when other toy lines are considered.
    Blasssssphemeee!

Come to the upcoming Parramatta Fair spiderken17.... sometimes, just sometimes these figures you are trying to look out for crops up there, and NO one pays attention to them - well except for Hursty... so yeah you may have to wake a bit early on a Sunday though but then, after the fair we Ozformers have our meet up so it's a good time to get to know the people here and attach a face to the names

I had a view of the Rock lords movie in you tube... didnt pursue it after the 1st clip.... too Hanna Barbera for me... and Gok they did have Frank Welker .... but then which cartoons didn't hehehehehe
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Gonna try and get to Parramatta on sunday. I have to pick up half a car as well for a mate but will hopefully convince him that stopping in is worth it (shouldn't be too hard, he's a nerd as well).
    Spiderken Away!

Quote Originally Posted by spiderken17 View Post
    Gonna try and get to Parramatta on sunday. I have to pick up half a car as well for a mate but will hopefully convince him that stopping in is worth it (shouldn't be too hard, he's a nerd as well).
    I'm dead sure the pair of you will find at least 1 thing of interest at the Fair.