Page 61 of 71 FirstFirst ... 41515657585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Titan Class METROPLEX

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Thanks to UltraMarginal for reminding me:

You know I cannot believe that after all this, after SO much time wondering, I completely forgot to disclose this!

Takara-Tomy's - Generations: Metroplex does indeed speak in English.

Does that mean that there are kids all over Japan that have absolutely no idea what their big new toy is saying?
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Does that mean that there are kids all over Japan that have absolutely no idea what their big new toy is saying?
    Well if that old number of 9 out of 10 Takara Tomy Transformers are sold to adults is true then I don't think there will be too many Japanese children wondering.

I'm not surprised that TakTOM Metroplex speaks English. The Fall of Cybertron game in Japan does use the same Anglophone voices (e.g. Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime etc.), but with Japanese subtitles. It also wouldn't be too hard for TakTOM to simply include a translation of the lines say on the instructions somewhere (I'd be interested to know if this is the case or if they're solely relying on people's exposure to the game).

Also... don't underestimate the power of fanboys. Some Japanese fans' knowledge of English comes almost exclusively from video games. When I was a uni student in Japan, I knew some guys whose English virtually entirely came from Diablo... when I told them I was from Australia, they'd say, "Oh, I know some English... "Fresh meeaaat!"" ... uh... 'kay. It's not too dissimilar from Western fans of Japanese games and anime whose Japanese vocabulary almost completely comes from games and anime.

These are gateway words into more hardcore language-learning.

Wahahahah Fresh meat!! hahaahhhaahahh!
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'm not surprised that TakTOM Metroplex speaks English. The Fall of Cybertron game in Japan does use the same Anglophone voices (e.g. Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime etc.), but with Japanese subtitles. It also wouldn't be too hard for TakTOM to simply include a translation of the lines say on the instructions somewhere (I'd be interested to know if this is the case or if they're solely relying on people's exposure to the game).

Also... don't underestimate the power of fanboys. Some Japanese fans' knowledge of English comes almost exclusively from video games. When I was a uni student in Japan, I knew some guys whose English virtually entirely came from Diablo... when I told them I was from Australia, they'd say, "Oh, I know some English... "Fresh meeaaat!"" ... uh... 'kay. It's not too dissimilar from Western fans of Japanese games and anime whose Japanese vocabulary almost completely comes from games and anime.

These are gateway words into more hardcore language-learning.
    I meant kids that aren't hardcore fans. Everyday kids that see a giant robot toy and want it. Maybe they have other TFs, maybe this will be their first.

I don't know what percentage of children in Japan speak English, but it seems strange that you would release a toy that into a market not in that market's native and primary language.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I am surprised we are all of a sudden so overly concerned about a robot's sounds etc.......perhaps discuss it in the Japanese fan based thread to see if they were at all pissed off with it?

I think we have under estimated their knowledge honestly and over reacting. A lot of Japanese anime does includes occasional English words in their dialogue.

Because I am not just a Transformers fan, I know Gundam has its labels and decals all in English entirely and nobody has ever had this form of debate, plus their gunpla is made entirely in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    I am surprised we are all of a sudden so overly concerned about a robot's sounds etc...
    I don't believe that anyone is overly concerned dude: "What language will the TakTom Metroplex employ?" has simply been a question that many have pondered since the announcement of the figure, way back when.

At the end of the day, as I think I expressed elsewhere on the boards, I didn't care if he spoke English, Japanese or Cybertronian! - His batteries weren't going to remain within him (Batteries aren't included ) anyway.
    (Although, I'd of been pretty happy if he did speak Japanese - G1 Scorponok's Japanese v/o actor sounded awesome! )

Well...question was answered. So lets move on already, I don't think there is a need to question Japanese intelligence of understanding "metroplex" language.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Well...question was answered. So lets move on already, I don't think there is a need to question Japanese intelligence of understanding "metroplex" language.
    It's related to the topic and a question I have that I believe Gok has the knowledge to answer. Im hardly concerned. Like Hursty, i don't care if he speaks Trolloc. I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    It's related to the topic and a question I have that I believe Gok has the knowledge to answer. Im hardly concerned. Like Hursty, i don't care if he speaks Trolloc. I'm just curious.
    I have answered it, they aren't dumb as what you think. Very often enough there are English phrases in their cartoons more than you think is just pure Japanese language.

I have just watched Gurren Laggan, and there are words like "Giga Drill!" "definite kill".

Gundam : "Commencing sequence initiation." "critical damage" "hyper drive"

Hence, this is trivial.

This is almost like you think they won't know what is "Transform!" "To all are one" "destroy decepticons"