Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dkaris View Post
    Do that and your head will explode from complete and utter confusion
    That's what I'm hoping I need something that's gonna produce a good mind trip.

That Cities of Gold cartoon I used to watch on ABC as a kid, back in the 80's I think. Always found it fasinating. I don't remember much of it, but I can still remember the bit where they find the Olmecs in cryogenic hibernation... and some other bits involving a lot of gold, probably a city

All the DVDs I've seen of Ulysses 31 and Mysterious Cities of Gold have been dub only, and I want to find them in their original French audio w/ English subs. I wish they'd put both options into the DVD... isn't that the whole point of having Digital Versatile Discs??

Rurouni Kenshin has been green lighted for 2 sequels to make a trilogy!
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...yoto-arc-films

As the article states, the second film will be an adaptation of the Kyoto Arc, which makes sense considering that the first film was a condensed version of the Tokyo Arc. I'm guessing then that the third movie will be based on the Jinchuu Arc. If so, then I hope that they base that more on the manga rather than the anime, because I really didn't like how that arc ended in the anime (re: Kenshin dying with his son being a douchebag ).

I watched some Robot Girls Z today. Basically a story about some cute girls who can "transform" into powered up girls based on Toei (same animation studio who animated G1) robots, such as Mazinger Z (aka Tranzor Z), Great Mazinger, Grendizer, Kotetsu Zeeg, Getter Robo, Gaiking etc. etc. Fans of 70s Super Robot series should get a kick out of the loads of fan references (and shameless silliness)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I watched some Robot Girls Z today. Basically a story about some cute girls who can "transform" into powered up girls based on Toei (same animation studio who animated G1) robots, such as Mazinger Z (aka Tranzor Z), Great Mazinger, Grendizer, Kotetsu Zeeg, Getter Robo, Gaiking etc. etc. Fans of 70s Super Robot series should get a kick out of the loads of fan references (and shameless silliness)
    Hmm... Might have to suss that one out Goki.

I've currently just finished watching "Occult Academy" and have since moved onto "Kill la Kill" & "Beyond The Boundary" myself.

Crunchyroll is proving a handy source for new Anime, unfortunately however, it would seem that the industry is heavily focused on High School-related series at the moment.

been watching gundam build fighter , and im really enjoying this .... its aim straight at selling the toys but the story is really good ...it a good change from the endless retelling of the same gundam story!

I stopped paying attention to Gundam after they broke away from the original UC continuity. (-_-) Tomino Yoshiyuki is known for actually hating the [strikes]toys[/strikes]^models; apparently one of his pet peeves are Gundam fans who are more fans of the mecha than the people (i.e. actual characters). It's like Star Wars or Star Trek fans who are more fans of the vehicles and spaceships than the actual characters and stories. Of course with Transformers, the robots are the characters.

It's like Star Wars or Star Trek fans who are more fans of the vehicles and spaceships than the actual characters and stories. Of course with Transformers, the robots are the characters.
    But the purpose of Gundam is to sell gundam models. The characters, especially post UC, have mostly been copies of UC-archetypes or simply 2 dimensional in general.

The purpose of Star Trek is not to sell models of the Enterprise, but more to sell DVD's (media).

The exact purpose of Star Wars is to sell EVERYTHING. They are killing it with sales of 'media', 'characters figures' and 'spaceship toys', A shining example of sci-fi merchandising done right.

I still remember a time when Star Wars was that 'thing' only people's older brothers were really into, now its a franchise powerhouse

I just found out that this exists:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly1hQrGlaoU
    ^2012 remake of The Mysterious Cities of Gold!

The Mysterious Cities of Gold
    You know that's actually a continuation from where the original left off and not a remake?

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    But the purpose of Gundam is to sell gundam models.
    The story came first though; the models came out about a year after the anime series. From what I've read, Tomino Yoshiyuki sees the franchise as being "story-first." Admittedly I'm not a Gundam fan, so my knowledge in this field is incredibly limited.

The characters, especially post UC, have mostly been copies of UC-archetypes or simply 2 dimensional in general.
    ^'Zactly why I stopped following Gundam after they departed from UC continuity.

The purpose of Star Trek is not to sell models of the Enterprise, but more to sell DVD's (media).

The exact purpose of Star Wars is to sell EVERYTHING. They are killing it with sales of 'media', 'characters figures' and 'spaceship toys', A shining example of sci-fi merchandising done right.

I still remember a time when Star Wars was that 'thing' only people's older brothers were really into, now its a franchise powerhouse
    Spaceballs the FLAMETHROWER!

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    You know that's actually a continuation from where the original left off and not a remake?
    OooOOooOhhhHHhhHhhh lala! I really hope it'll get released in French w/ English subs. I'd really like to get the original series subbed too (ditto Ulysses 31). But as far as I can tell, it seems that we're more likely to get things dubbed. See... I think the subs vs dubs debate was more relevant back in the days of VHS because titles could either be released dubbed or subbed, not both. But DVD and BR are versatile formats which allow the audio and subtitle tracks to be changed (and unlike LaserDisc, without necessary loss of quality, e.g. you might have one language on the digital track and another language on the audio track, but not both on the same track (e.g. both on digital) -- and you certainly couldn't switch the subs on and off). I don't know why Western anime companies are taking advantage of this technology more. I often pass up on certain anime titles because they're dub only... and w/ the exception of Beast Machines and Animated, most of my Transformers DVDs have no subtitle option (which makes it inaccessible for the hearing impaired, and I have come across at least two deaf TF enthusiasts).