Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Predaking repaint

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post
    run us through the step of your paint job
    ok.... this my work flow....
    prepare the figure for painting.... this is done by rubbing alcohol mixture on a towel and rub the figure completely...be careful of the join as if the alco get in there it can weaken the join and make it crack...i found out the hard way !! then it very hard to superglue a moving joint back.. ...
    U must wipe it because every toy has a layer of film ..the gloss that protect it and make it water proof ...and paint wouldn't stay on ...

find all the rub points ... but this figure didn't really have any ...thanks to the simple transformation ...
    Dissasemble the figure , as he pretty simple to do so i just got arms, legs body and wings

base coat....as this figure already had the right colours to begin with i just needed to paint white where all the detail and highlights going to be as the highlight colour are transparent .....

Then painting with the light colour first building it up.....
    so white...bright orange ...red...burgundy...pearl/blue red

The hardest part is to actually know what colour your going to use and where it is going to be painted! So lots of reference picture ...

Also Know how the paint going to look like when painted...it actually different from the bottle it came from as you have to thin it down for airbrushing and also the transparent of the colour ...like the orange i use...needed the white under or you not going to see it at all....

The thinning of the paint is also important as every colour has a different consistency, i just eye ball it to be a little thinker than water ...With Airbrushing is too never stay in one spot but just keep moving , thin coats ..little burst at a time and never build it up too much or it will run like little drop ! When you actually see the wet (gloss) paint stop! that too much already! let it dry .... it very tempting to keep on goiing but that where you can stuff it up... clean the brush up (i use to hate doing this ...but im getting fast at it now dissembling the needle and i use water based paint so under a tap )while drying then paint again untill the color right...

Waiting inbetween each colour/coats to dry ... and around 2-3 light coats of each colour ...orange took a few more as it very transparent ...

Panel lining and detail done in red and florescent yellow..around 2 coats.
    then a clear matte coat

Iriorne is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Looks awesome! I'm feeling inspired to try a repaint myself, if I can find a figure that excites me enough.

What airbrush do you use? I've got an Aztek brush, which has swappable tips to allow you to (in theory) quickly change spray patterns or colours. Might be worth looking into if you get sick of doing a complete clean between colours.

Quote Originally Posted by lancalot View Post
    ok.... this my work flow....
    prepare the figure for painting.... this is done by rubbing alcohol mixture on a towel and rub the figure completely...be careful of the join as if the alco get in there it can weaken the join and make it crack...i found out the hard way !! then it very hard to superglue a moving joint back.. ...
    U must wipe it because every toy has a layer of film ..the gloss that protect it and make it water proof ...and paint wouldn't stay on ...

find all the rub points ... but this figure didn't really have any ...thanks to the simple transformation ...
    Dissasemble the figure , as he pretty simple to do so i just got arms, legs body and wings

base coat....as this figure already had the right colours to begin with i just needed to paint white where all the detail and highlights going to be as the highlight colour are transparent .....

Then painting with the light colour first building it up.....
    so white...bright orange ...red...burgundy...pearl/blue red

The hardest part is to actually know what colour your going to use and where it is going to be painted! So lots of reference picture ...

Also Know how the paint going to look like when painted...it actually different from the bottle it came from as you have to thin it down for airbrushing and also the transparent of the colour ...like the orange i use...needed the white under or you not going to see it at all....

The thinning of the paint is also important as every colour has a different consistency, i just eye ball it to be a little thinker than water ...With Airbrushing is too never stay in one spot but just keep moving , thin coats ..little burst at a time and never build it up too much or it will run like little drop ! When you actually see the wet (gloss) paint stop! that too much already! let it dry .... it very tempting to keep on goiing but that where you can stuff it up... clean the brush up (i use to hate doing this ...but im getting fast at it now dissembling the needle and i use water based paint so under a tap )while drying then paint again untill the color right...

Waiting inbetween each colour/coats to dry ... and around 2-3 light coats of each colour ...orange took a few more as it very transparent ...

Panel lining and detail done in red and florescent yellow..around 2 coats.
    then a clear matte coat
    Im tempted to commission you to do mine then do a video on it for you!
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Quote Originally Posted by Iriorne View Post
    Looks awesome! I'm feeling inspired to try a repaint myself, if I can find a figure that excites me enough.

What airbrush do you use? I've got an Aztek brush, which has swappable tips to allow you to (in theory) quickly change spray patterns or colours. Might be worth looking into if you get sick of doing a complete clean between colours.
    It a cool figure , plus it bigg...thanks for the info ill check that brush out...

Hey ill do it cheap for you KalEl .... But you know postage is a killer.... he big.! Pm me if your interested ....

Wow! - Absolutely friggin' Wow!
    You've done an exceedingly meticulous job of picking out all the little details in the mold and the wings look almost organic! - Imagine a whole row of these on the shelves?, you wouldn't, because they wouldn't last long enough!

Love it!
    How did you do the gradient colors?
    Oops never mind I didn't notice your post.
    Simply amazing. Makes me tempted to buy one now.

+1 except for doing the video part, coz Im not so good with those , :P
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by VGMStudios View Post
    Love it!
    How did you do the gradient colors?
    Oops never mind I didn't notice your post.
    Simply amazing. Makes me tempted to buy one now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Wow! - Absolutely friggin' Wow!
    You've done an exceedingly meticulous job of picking out all the little details in the mold and the wings look almost organic! - Imagine a whole row of these on the shelves?, you wouldn't, because they wouldn't last long enough!
    Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    +1 except for doing the video part, coz Im not so good with those , :P
    thanks man....it a nice figure to paint VGM ...

Just had a convo with that guy. All a misunderstanding, like you said. Said he's sorry for the mishap.

I think i remember you saying something like you got a new airbrush but went back to.using your old one? Do they vary that much? I'm considering doing my first custom and wouldnt mind some tips on brush choice from customisers and not a salesman.