Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (JUNE-2013) Robots In Disguise Era Cartoon - Reviews and Favourites

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default (JUNE-2013) Robots In Disguise Era Cartoon - Reviews and Favourites

Robots in Disguise was a quick filler series for Hasbro, after the quick axing of Beast Machines. It only lasted a year, and was reworked from the Japanese series "Car Robots".

Details of this series can be read up here.

Did you watch any of the Beast Machines cartoon?
    If so, what did you think of it?

Any Episodes worth reviewing?

Are any of the episodes recommended viewing for others?

Anything were Sky-Byte was scheming against the Decepticons is always a good watch.

Episodes 14 Decepticons & 15 Commandos are great episodes

Episodes 24 Ultra Magnus & 25 Ultra Magnus Forced Fusion are also worth a mention.

This was the series that got me back into transformers. Optimus and magnus combine, do they form Kickarsimus Prime?
    Episodes? What mayza said.
    Oh and the fortress maximus episodes.

To be honest, story-wise, I think most of the episodes in RiD was boring and it generally lacked a compelling overarching story line. That said, it is still quite entertaining to watch. I loved the way that there are so many combiners in the series and it's the only series where I thought the stock footage of the transformations didn't get old or repetitive.

The latter part of the show improved greatly though, the plot where Megatron corrupts Autobot protoforms to form the Combaticons was great, and I loved how they explained why Scourge looked so similar to Optimus (and to play on that fact in the Fortress Maximus arc too). The first time Optimus combines with Ultra Magnus was amazing (I particularly love the "handshake combination, very unique aspect there) and unexpected. The ending was a bit disappointing in that Fortress Maximus just appears there and does nothing. I was hoping he'll go on a rampage and destroy everything and the Autobots somehow stop him.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

All I can say is...

Whos the baddest shark around
    Whos the smartest shark in town
    Sky-Byte thats me!
    Who drives Scourge into the ground and never lets old Megatron down
    Sky-Byte thats me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DplkFnLBNCA

Can you buy this on dvd in Aus somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    Can you buy this on dvd in Aus somewhere?
    Not that I have been able to find. I had to import the box sets from the UK (jetix is the publisher)

As for the questions in this thread:

Did you watch any of the Beast Machines RID cartoon?

Yes the whole series

Not bad IMO - Decent story line, good comic value and easy to watch animation. Love the catchy intro

The Decepticons, Ultra Magnus: Forced Fusion, The two faces of ultra magnus.

Battle Protocol, The Decepticons, Ultra Magnus: Forced Fusion, Koji gets his wish (you will appreciate this more if you have watched the series from the start), The two faces of ultra magnus, Maximus Emerges, The final battle

Did you watch any of the RID cartoon?

I've watched a few episodes. I wasn't really a fan of it along with Armada, Energon & Cybertron. I guess I should give it more of a go.

TBA

Anything showing off the Autobot combiner teams is pretty cool

[QUOTE=griffin;359821]

Did you watch any of the Beast Machines Robots in disguise cartoon?
    I never new it existed till a couple years ago, I've ween watching a couple episodes in the last few months to see what it was all about. (my friend gave me a lend of his box set.)

So far I'm not overly impressed, regardless of the target audience I have always found over the top voices to be frustrating. much of the voice work in this series fits into that category, while some of the others are a bit flat.

I hate it when a character announces their weapon/fighting move as they are about to use it. HATE IT!!

I am largely watching this to see where long standing elements of fandom interest came from, for example Scourge/Nemesis Prime. I thought that was fairly interesting.

I have enjoyed the polarity between magnus and Prime. a bit different to most other shows.

I don't think I've watched enough yet to give a good opinion. though stuff with magnus seems better than the early stuff.

see my previous answer.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I hate it when a character announces their weapon/fighting move as they are about to use it. HATE IT!!
    +1. It's a reflection of 20th~21st Century Japanese "martial culture." Don't even get me started. I also find announcing transformations to be just as cringe worthy. In the Japanese dub of Transformers Prime, everyone screams, "TORANSFOOOOOORM!" as they transform (except Bumblebee )! (-_-) Then there was Beast Wars/Machines which did the same thing with their 'activation codes,' even though those series didn't even come from Japan!

I don't know why, but I don't mind it as much on other things like Street Fighter and Dragonball Zed. Really it's all just as silly as each other, but I suppose because it's less conventional for Transformers as it never happened in G1. Transforming, shooting etc. was just stuff that they did like walking.

SUBMIT REPLY!