Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: MP-22 Revealed!? Ultra Magnus with trailer

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Wished they had everything sorted from the start.
    ^ this.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

They probably never expected the "one off" figure to spawn a series that has lasted 10 years now... as they number everything, but it doesn't mean they have plans to do more than xx-01.
    The first one was supposed to be big and fancy, to be a centrepiece of people's collections... but as the demand spawned more and more moulds (after the first three moulds generated about 10 MP toys ), the cost factor started weighing in, prompting a rethink on the scale to be more affordable in the long run as costs keep going up (inflation & exchange rate fluctuations)... but realistically, do they need to? The original toyline was all over the place in terms of scale in either mode, but since TakaraTomy are focussing more on the cartoon versions, scale is a factor they are at least trying to factor in.

Yeah, I heard MP-10 Convoy basically represented a reboot of the MP line. They do indeed seem to be focusing on cartoon accuracy and taking scale from the cartoon's bot-height style guide. Pity Grimlock wasn't a bit bigger then.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

well the reboot sort of back fired for me. Is like I wished they stayed on that scale and I be a happier person. Now I look at the cars and I know they would not be part of my display where all the Binaltech and alternators are.

What screws myself more is considering whether to buy mp10 which I gave up for now, I am quite confident a reissue may occur down the road.

But I avoided collecting all the cars just solely of that reason, in some ways "lucky" as it saves me money but at the same time disappointed because I would have jumped on it if they were bigger. But saying that, this started way back when Alternalty was introduced and they sized it smaller, so technically no surprises from there.

Apart from being the commemorative one off thing, the original MP01 was also an attempt to compete with Bandai's Soul of Chogokin figures(which were extremely successful with collectors). So Takara went full on with die cast parts/accessories/working pistons/air intakes, etc.

Personally the new design direction and scale feel more "Transformers-y" to me. And the new scale simply means they can make a lot of figures cheaper, which makes more obscure characters getting MP treatment possible. If the Autobot cars were done in the old scale a lot of people would definitely think twice to fork out 10000 yen to get, say an MP Smokescreen.

Hmm... nothing on Amazon JP yet. Hopefully they'll release some interesting exclusive bonus content. Hasbro should release a convention exclusive version where the cab-robot is repainted in a Minimus Ambus colour scheme (possibly w/ retooled head or an alternate head that fans can attach themselves). It'd be fully deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    And the new scale simply means they can make a lot of figures cheaper, which makes more obscure characters getting MP treatment possible.
    I've personally found the new smaller scale to be dearer, not cheaper when comparing the RRP of similar toys.

e.g.:
    MP04 Convoy = AU$206 (18900JPY) vs MP10 Convoy = AU$251 (23100JPY)
    MP03/MP06 = $112 (10290JPY)/MP07 = $114 (10500JPY), so let's say the avg. RRP for the old Seekers was $113 vs MP11 $141 (13000JPY)

So Optimus Prime has become $46 (4200JPY) more expensive; and I don't think the inclusion of Roller and Spike justifies that hike with the smaller scale and more simplistic core figure (as very nice as it is in its own right). Likewise the MP Seeker has seen a $28 (2605JPY) average price rise, and I don't feel the figure justifies that either (yes, the robot mode is improved, but the jet mode isn't as good; and IMO the coronation set doesn't feel worth paying nearly thirty bucks for).

IMHO the old MPs were (mostly*) worth paying full RRP for whereas the new ones aren't (which is why I'm more likely to either preorder and get at discounted prices, or just skip and hope for a Hasbro version). I've yet to see a new TakTOM MP and thought, "That's worth paying full RRP for." At best I'll think, "That's worth paying the discounted price for," but of course it's the RRP that represents the price that TakaraTOMY has set and is expecting most people to pay for these toys.

-----------------------------------------
    *I didn't think MP04 Convoy Perfect Ed. or MP09 Rodimus Convoy were worth paying RRP for.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Hmm... nothing on Amazon JP yet.
    Can you see if "Wheeljack" and "Bumblebee" are on Amazon JP?

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

You can't compare the RRP of MP01 and MP10 as an equal comparison. It's been close to 10 years and a hell of a lot of change in the economy, strength of currency, and price of oil and other supplies, and shipping costs.
    Looking To Buy Either Siege Or Earthrise Ratchet, and Buzzworthy SS86 ER Cliffjumper.

Not to mention that little thing called inflation, I just hope that it's true we're getting a real Ultra Magnus would love to have one. It'd make sense to release him since we're getting all these MP cars be great to have a car carrier to put them on. Anyone here take pics of which cars fit on G1 Ultra Magnus? I only have Magnus and Hotrod is slightly too wide to drive into his car carrier. I wondered if many of the S3 cars could actually use him. I'm sure the G1 Datsuns can fit but never had them to try them out.

Gok, don't forget plastics nowadays may cost more than metal as it is dependent on Oil prices/production so this may be the one reason for the price hike. There could be labor costs as well - prolly why they moved some production to Vietnam rather than all of it to China. If it was cheaper in production cost I don't think they'd have removed the light up gimmick for the matrix as you know how they are with big TFs and gimmicks. As it is, I guess the current MPs are growing on me. MP Prime 01 and 04 and Megs are for me always were in line more with the Alts/BTs. Although Im thankful I can still consider the earlier Seeker to be in tune with the newer ones sizewise.

But considering all this, our pockets and wallets take a big hit. I agree you get little bang for our buck now with the new MP line... SO every little additional accessory or bonus or saving helps.

As bad as it sounds (hey Im a basement resident anyways) Im waiting for somebody to KO that exclusive rocket launcher freebie they get from JP for MP Prowl. Ill most likely get four - just so Bluestreak can have them as well.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]