Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Transformers Boxes, keep or throw out?

Yeah, I didn't think of that

I guess you need a purpose to keep the boxes, like if you really like the art work, maybe cut that out and keep it, turf the rest. But if you've no definable purpose in keeping them then expel them from the Hurstiverse

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    May have a couple that I'd consider offering to people before turfing them; weren't you after a Classics Jetfire/Skyfire box?
    Not really, my skyfires are still boxed. Do you have a classics megatron box?
    If you are giving them away, I'd like those MP-4 and MP SW boxes and maybe Predaking, Trypticon, Scorponok If you have any Alts or BTs and a Hasbro MP Seeker box (TC, SS or SW) and Henkei Thundercracker box, it would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Mackness View Post
    Yeah, I didn't think of that

I guess you need a purpose to keep the boxes, like if you really like the art work, maybe cut that out and keep it, turf the rest. But if you've no definable purpose in keeping them then expel them from the Hurstiverse
    Predominantly, it's for sentimental reasons ; Be it the art, the type of figure or the circumstances that lead to a purchase
    (Takara's Masterpiece packaging is too damn nice to turf! )

I often find in the back of my mind, though, resides the feeling that I should keep 'em just in case I should ever need to sell them - this is especially the case for 3rd Party figures.
    I've practically purged all of my "Classicsverse" boxes though, so the Hurstyverse has experienced the odd expulsion before.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    Not really, my skyfires are still boxed. Do you have a classics megatron box?
    Ah! - Actually yes, I do still have the original '06 Classics Nerf gun-inspired Megatron box and it is one that has entered the purge pile.

If you are giving them away, I'd like those MP-4 and MP SW boxes and maybe Predaking, Trypticon, Scorponok If you have any Alts or BTs and a Hasbro MP Seeker box (TC, SS or SW) and Henkei Thundercracker box, it would be much appreciated.
    Sorry, I should've been more specific ; I meant boxes that I've set aside as no longer being required, otherwise, the vast majority of boxes I intend to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Ah! - Actually yes, I do still have the original '06 Classics Nerf gun-inspired Megatron box and it is one that has entered the purge pile.

Sorry, I should've been more specific ; I meant boxes that I've set aside as no longer being required, otherwise, the vast majority of boxes I intend to keep.
    Hahaha!!!! Thanks, hursti!

How about classics Acid Storm?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    Hahaha!!!! Thanks, hursti!
    I'll send you a pic in a PM, won't be immediate though as I've still got a bit to do.

...and people used to give me crap about how much time I spent playing Tetris!

It was a favourite and it gives you life skills!

Also found a bunch of "bips & bobs" that I'd left in their packaging at one point or another :

I decided to resurrect this thread rather than make a new one and duplicate a thread on a pre-existing subject.

Back in 2013, I had typed

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I keep MP, Takara, and HA boxes. At one point I was keeping everything I could, but I too was running out of room, so most of my figures bought at retail don't have boxes anymore.

The only piece of 'vintage' packaging I have is the foam tray for my G1 Metroplex, but if I had G1 packaging, I'd likely keep it or sell it.
    Since then, I've held on to this, keeping my Masterpiece (which includes the new Movie Masterpiece figures) and Takara boxes. I was throwing away my retail-bought boxes from Generations lines, but over the past few years I've found myself keeping more boxes than I thought I would. I now have a fair few from Studio Series, War for Cybertron, and Legacy, and now I'm wondering which ones to keep. The only ones I'm seriously inclined to keep are the Studio Series Wreckers, my commander class figures, and the Legacy Stunticons, but for some reason I can't seem to let go of boxes for figures like Studio Series Dino, Hot Rod, and Crosshairs, the Studio Series '86 Dinobots, and Kingdom Galvatron and Cyclonus (I bought Cyclonus second-hand and the previous owner had collapsed that box).

Are other people keeping their boxes or throwing them away? Any ideas or recommendations?

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Throw them, always. Sure, some of the artwork on them can be quite pretty, but they exist solely to convey the toy to me. After that they are rubbish to be disposed of. I don't buy things that I don't fully intend to keep forever, so the whole selling a toy with its box thing means nothing to me (and I won't even go near my thoughts on keeping things - sealed or otherwise - in boxes...).

And yes, even my very pretty Missing Link box is going. I've now done the "hey, when did you last hold a box with that picture on it" thing, so it's time for it to go too
    Last edited by JJJ; 24th March 2024 at 10:33 AM.

Make room by throwing away the toys. Be a TRUE box collector!

I keep all my boxes and I collapse them and store them in under-bed plastic tubs (one for Studio Series and one for the rest) - they have large width and length but I don't need so much height and are stackable. They sit in a corner of the room. The SS backdrops I'm not using are untabbed, flattened and kept with SS boxes. The only boxes I don't collapse are G1-style boxes and Masterpiece, because I keep the inserts to store accessories and the G1 boxes give me pleasant memories (see below), and boxes that are too large for the tubs. I keep the boxes in shelves or cupboards and they do take up space but that is a price I will pay (see below).

If you are happy doing what you are doing (whatever selection system it is) then I say fine. I keep all my boxes because when I was a kid, I loved the G1 boxes. It was part of the toy experience and part of the gift receiving experience (from relatives or using my pocket money). I had to store them as a kid and had had limited space, plus I cut out my tech specs, so I cut some of them up, keeping the images and logos and tossing out the filler space and the plastic windows. I now have pieces of boxes that just look ugly and I've always regretted cutting them up (and cutting out the tech spec). And that's why I do what I do with my current boxes.

So, it really depends on what motivates you personally. If they have no real meaning, then do a JJJ. I did read somewhere that a trick to decluttering is to take photographs of what you have then dispose. But again, it depends on what the item means to you.