Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Hunter TV Show

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    One show I can't stand anymore is Auction Hunters (the pair of guys bidding on storage containers). They get some huge dollars from the items they re-sell, but excessively haggle over the re-sell price just so that they make even more money, and always walk away as the dominant party in the transactions. Like, selling an item for $10,000 that they only paid a few hundred for - why wouldn't you accept $8,000 being offered... and those people need a profit margin to resell it as well. (the pair are often asking at stores for a valuation, and when that store can only offer about half to make their own profit margin, the pair squeeze them for as close as to the value as possible... often just to make sure they have the final say/haggle) It's fascinating to see the treasures they sometimes dig up, but the arrogance of their haggling over items they are already making thousands of dollars profit on, puts me off watching it.
    Keep in mind that the show only discusses their standout finds, they probably have 50 - 80% more items that they don't do so well on. Last night was interesting, they went all the way to Alaska, made around 10K and that was the show. Driving all the way there from the US proper would have taken the better part of at lest half a week.

Discounting the money they are making from doing a TV show, I wonder how many of these 'pickers' were making a 'good' income from this prior to their show? and do the collectors they buy from especially on this toy show, get a commision/appearance fee?
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    Keep in mind that the show only discusses their standout finds, they probably have 50 - 80% more items that they don't do so well on. Last night was interesting, they went all the way to Alaska, made around 10K and that was the show. Driving all the way there from the US proper would have taken the better part of at lest half a week.

Discounting the money they are making from doing a TV show, I wonder how many of these 'pickers' were making a 'good' income from this prior to their show? and do the collectors they buy from especially on this toy show, get a commision/appearance fee?
    I like Auction Hunters. Some cool stuff and sometimes it's a bit interesting. I do agree with Griffin though, they somtimes seem to kind of push it sometimes, something I'd probably never do myself.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    I like Auction Hunters. Some cool stuff and sometimes it's a bit interesting. I do agree with Griffin though, they somtimes seem to kind of push it sometimes, something I'd probably never do myself.
    They certainly push, but it's business, and money in your wallet is better than money in the next guys wallet. I'm not saying it's right, it takes a special kind of person to constantly be flipping something from cheap to not cheap and make a living out of it.

Last night they pushed a guy hard on a semi portable mining drill, they made a killing on it, but still got less than half what a new one would be worth and it was in excellent knick and the guy was going to use it mining, so it's not like it wasn't going to pay for itself soon enough.

I find it interesting to see what some people will pay for something knowing how much work they will have to do to restore it, or not knowing the overall mechanical stability of something.

They do sometimes mention a hit and miss ratio, but it is never reflected on the show, as there is always something in almost every storage container they buy.... but if they made a point of needing to squeeze every dollar out of the items to cover their costs, or that each episode was just their entire weekly earnings (which I doubt), they could earn support for their strategy, instead of looking arrogant or greedy.

They do sometimes mention a hit and miss ratio, but it is never reflected on the show, as there is always something in almost every storage container they buy.... but if they made a point of needing to squeeze every dollar out of the items to cover their costs, or that each episode was just their entire weekly earnings (which I doubt), they could earn support for their strategy, instead of looking arrogant or greedy.
    at the start of every episode it says on the screen that "this is a representation of their best finds"

Anyone got an idea where one can watch last nights Toy Hunter episode? Or a link? Can't find it on youtube and don't know which episode it was to download (not that many of them are on the download sites anyway)

Links to episodes in posts #15 and #19.

Looks like someone has just updated the wiki page with episode descriptions, plus noting that there is a third season underway in America.

The episodes screening here are all over the place.
    20/1 - S1 ep2 (Rise From Ashland)
    27/1 - S1 ep1 (Jersey Shore) (I think)
    03/2 - S1 ep7 (It's Chiller Time)
    10/2 - S1 ep6 (Mississippi Menace).

The episodes screening here are all over the place.
    20/1 - S1 ep2 (Rise From Ashland)
    27/1 - S1 ep1 (Jersey Shore) (I think)
    03/2 - S1 ep7 (It's Chiller Time)
    10/2 - S1 ep6 (Mississippi Menace).
    Good work 9 Network.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    at the start of every episode it says on the screen that "this is a representation of their best finds"

they probably never show like the disappointment and junk furniture they find in 80% of the storages. When they hit a jackpot they probably have to squeeze every cents from it. I think a lot of people would probably think its easy money, but I think its not.