Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121727 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust

Regarding the appeal of this toy; for me, the appeal is equivalent to the reissued Diaclone/Microman Transformers via eHobby (e.g. Road Rage, Overcharge, Magnificus, Crosscut, Insecticon Army, Cobalt Sentries etc.). When news of these toys came out, I personally jumped on pre-ordering them as it was a great chance to own reissues of Diaclone/Microman figures, only that they were canonically included into the Transformers universe. Take Road Rage for example. Okay, there's a really cool character backstory attached with the toy, but the primary appeal for me was to finally own the red Tracks character who appeared on the 1985 packaging art! Made even cooler by becoming an independent character from Tracks.

The G1 Wheeljack mould is unavailable, so it's highly unlikely that we'll see a reissue of that toy, let alone a retool as a reissue Marlboorjack. So I reckon that retooling MP Wheeljack as Marlboorjack is the next best thing (retooling Generations/United Wheeljack could work too ). I'm never going to pay whatever insane prices that the Diaclone toy is going for on the aftermarket (which isn't even officially a Transformer anyway); but this toy allows us to own something that is a clear tribute to that Diaclone toy, and is officially a Transformer. Yes, the appeal is very niche - and I'm quite surprised that TakaraTOMY are releasing it as a regular store release rather than a limited exclusive. I hope that it works out for them though and entices them to do more.

Okay, as a Hasbro G1 TF fan, sure, I would've personally preferred an MP Slicer. But Slicer is even more obscure to the Japanese market since they never got any of the Action Masters. And given that Exhaust is already going to be a retooled Wheeljack as an MP Decepticon, I'm not sure if the Japanese market could sustain an MP Slicer even as a limited exclusive now (it might've been more viable if they never did Exhaust). But there would certainly be more interest among Japanese fans for an MP Marlboorjack than Slicer. I reckon Hasbro could do an MP Slicer... but we know they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Nice!

On the subject of numbering, did Skywarp get his own number?
    Yep. Number 6 and the boring blue one was Number 7.

The name Exhaust is growing on me because I'm struggling to think of a better alternative that makes sense So essentially this guy is like an evil clone of Wheeljack. Should we expect the same for Bumblebee? most likely eh

Exhaust works for me when you think of the Malboro angle as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaisun View Post
    Oh, and name suggestion for shiggles: Wheelbro XD
    For some reason I hear that name said in a Kiwi accent.

Need a Wheel bro?
    Choice bro.

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I wont be getting this guy but a lot of people seem to want him so it's pretty cool that they get that opportunity. If he sells well it does make it more likely that Tracks might end up getting the MP treatment I would think. I am hoping that MP 25 might end up being Jazz/Meister! Although I am starting to wonder if we will end up seeing TT MP-11 versions of Skywarp and Thundercracker. I really hope we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
    So essentially this guy is like an evil clone of Wheeljack. Should we expect the same for Bumblebee? most likely eh
    A white Bumblebee as Bug Bite seems like a good reuse of the mould. Which is arguably why Exhaust is getting a mainline release - it's a way of recouping the costs of making Wheeljack.

Akky82 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    A white Bumblebee as Bug Bite seems like a good reuse of the mould. Which is arguably why Exhaust is getting a mainline release - it's a way of recouping the costs of making Wheeljack.
    Suppose it's too much to think they'd retool a bunch of panels and try and get a Cliffjumper? As for Exhaust, colour has grown on me, he will be a definite, but the head as others have said, not really g1 style so alt mode it is.

This article that Paulbot has written, is very interesting and has made me more interested in the new character. Especially given the origins of the head mold.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)