Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111626 ... LastLast

Thread: Botcon 2015 - Chicago June 18-21

If this had been five years ago, this news would have almost crashed the main global fansites and we would have a record number of Australians going this year despite the exchange rate... but I looked at the news postings at each site, there's barely 50-100 posts at each, and about half of those are by repeat people discussing the matter or asking about the special VIP ticket.
    And how many Australians do we have that are planning to go... just 2 definites and a maybe. We had bigger turnouts back when the AU$ was a 50us cents.

Part of me... the old timer fan from the early days of BotCon... is surprised about the limited enthusiasm from the fandom over such a "holy grail" guest.
    While another part of me... the more recent fan who has been burnt by FunPub and seen how it has treated others with legitimate issues... is beginning to realise that not even the most wanted guest since Peter Cullen in 1997, can get people to put aside their bad experiences to show their support or intention in going.
    (I think the VIP ticket will still sell out as there is apparently a little over 200 of them... but factoring in the Golden Ticket expense as well that most VIP holders will also probably want, I'm having trouble estimating how quickly or how long the VIP or Boxsets will take to sell out this year.)

Personally I feel sad, because I miss the excitement of the fandom when a big name, first-time guest was announced 4-5 years ago... which used to get more local members wanting to go, and both of those things makes it even more exciting for me to look forward to it.

I do wish that FunPub didn't burn so many bridges in the fandom, acting as if there were plenty more fans out there to fill those spots... and maybe this lack of *public* enthusiasm is showing us that the reserves are now depleted.
    To illustrate that point, 2011 was the last BotCon that they sold out their boxsets during pre-registration, despite the numbers of boxsets being reduced for the last two. It will be interesting to see how well they do this year with the Welker factor in play, or if they cut back the boxset numbers a lot just to make sure they sell out this time.

I'm a very unlikely, like 5% chance of going.

I'm hoping he gets a taste for it and keeps coming back so I can see him in a few years time
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I was hoping to go to a Botcon one day and was always sad that I hadn't gone to one before, but now, I really don't care.
    When/if it changes to a new bunch of people running it, I'll reassess my feelings, but until then, I'm not giving a cent to Savage and his cronies. Sad to say, especially since Transformers seems to be doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I was hoping to go to a Botcon one day and was always sad that I hadn't gone to one before, but now, I really don't care.
    When/if it changes to a new bunch of people running it, I'll reassess my feelings, but until then, I'm not giving a cent to Savage and his cronies. Sad to say, especially since Transformers seems to be doing well.
    Exactly my feeling as well
    Always wanted to go, but wouldn't go now until a new crew takes over the running of the club. My four years as a member continue to leave a very bitter feeling with me.

Problem is, I just don't see anyone else in the fandom located in America who is keen and would be capable of running the club and convention (the resources and money). Those who do have the resources and money are content with just running fansites or fan-conventions (which are easier to organise without the red-tape of Hasbro approval at every step when you are licensed).
    FunPub have a 20 year business history for the GIJoe club and convention, which made them the best candidate to Hasbro... and they are still the only willing candidate, as I haven't heard anyone else saying that they would want to, or can, run the Club & Con.
    And if someone did step up who has no business experience but a lot of enthusiasm, we could be left with a short-lived mess of failed promises and lost money.

(I remember getting two letters in the mail about 10 years ago, informing me of an upcoming bankruptcy hearing for 3H... because I was a paid member of their official club when it folded in 2004, and they must have been required to notify all "investors", no matter where they are. That was a sad but serious reminder of how a fanclub & convention must be treated like any money-making business if it is to survive.)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    . and they are still the only willing candidate, as I haven't heard anyone else saying that they would want to, or can, run the Club & Con.
    Yeah, and that's why I'm sad.

I'd support them if they actually acted more professional. I understand treating it like a business, and I'm fine with that, but to me they are incredibly unprofessional in pretty much every aspect. Anyway, that's all the thread derailment I'm going to offer for now.

I still enjoy looking at the toys and activities that happen at the con

I'd love to go to BotCon again. It was a whole lot of fun both times I've been, but I too don't want to give FunPub any of my money. The guests though don't particularly bother me, even when I did go I didn't want to meet the famous people.

I'd just like to go for the atmosphere and nerding it out with my fellow TF geeks.

On a side note, have they announced toys and theme for the year?

Aarh, Yes the Guardians galaxy theme, but no toys yet. ?

Yeah, and that's why I'm sad.

I'd support them if they actually acted more professional. I understand treating it like a business, and I'm fine with that, but to me they are incredibly unprofessional in pretty much every aspect. Anyway, that's all the thread derailment I'm going to offer for now.
    Yep, I'm certainly not saying they are a good business, but at the moment, it's them or nothing... so I'm not keen to prey for them to fail until we have an acceptable replacement.

The news quoted in post #45 claims to have all the reveals in April... so fingers crossed on them actually meeting the schedule this time.

I'd just like to go for the atmosphere and nerding it out with my fellow TF geeks.

Aarh, Yes the Guardians galaxy theme, but no toys yet. ?
    They've just revealed the first.....

Packrat, the thief from Generations rattrap
    Incoming:
    Preordered:
    Recent Buys:

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    load of Bartrim manure
    Welcome to Grantmart!:
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...1496#post61496