Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 23456789101525 ... LastLast

Thread: Botcon 2015 - Chicago June 18-21

it's confirmed! the fatman is going to Botcon! I get into Chicago at 1415 on the 15th, barring any flight delays of course.
    Incoming:
    Preordered:
    Recent Buys:

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    load of Bartrim manure
    Welcome to Grantmart!:
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...1496#post61496

Quote Originally Posted by fatbot View Post
    it's confirmed! the fatman is going to Botcon! I get into Chicago at 1415 on the 15th, barring any flight delays of course.
    Awesome!
    I'm only a little jealous.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Frank Welker has just been confirmed as the first guest at Botcon, I'm real glad im going now!
    Incoming:
    Preordered:
    Recent Buys:

load of Bartrim manure
    Welcome to Grantmart!:

Frank Welker has just been confirmed as the first guest at Botcon, I'm real glad im going now!
    That's his first Botcon, I'm now really jealous!
    I just can't see how I can budget it, and I might have a Nephews 18th that same weekend, in which case I'll only be flying to Brisbane.

Here's hoping Mr Welker really enjoys his Botcon experience and comes back in a couple years!
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Great news about Frank Welker finally being a BotCon guest... and you know who's going to be in the Hall of Fame this year.

There is mention of a VIP ticket, which I wonder if it will be separate to the Golden Ticket, or be replacing it this year. Something to look for in the brochure when it gets released.

(fans) will be able to register for BotCon 2015 and purchase the “Frank Welker VIP experience” package. This package will contain ONE autograph from Frank Welker, ONE professional picture with Frank Welker, an EXCLUSIVE MEGATRON art print, an EXCLUSIVE MEGATRON souvenir pin and VIP seating at his moderated panel on Saturday. This package will be available to anyone who purchases the BotCon Primus package.
    Either way, it will probably sell out fast... so it will mean more early mornings for Australians wanting to go to BotCon this year who want this, on the days when pre-registration is expected to begin.

I wonder if this only happened because I tried to get Welker to attend last year as a surprise guest, which his agent said that he was keen to do if he wasn't busy that weekend.

The one thing that annoys me with FunPub is their lack of marketing ability... with lengthy periods of silence from them, when they should be having regular announcements and teases all year round to keep the momentum of interest going.
    And then they make a big deal about it all being condensed within a short time frame as if it is the best strategy.

The next month is going to be packed with BotCon info, more guest announcements and figure reveals. This is THE Transformers event of the year! Don't miss out!!!
    We've been waiting three-four months for some info to get excited about "THE Transformers event of the year"... and now during the month of April it will all be bombarded on us in rapid succession (because they would have to get pre-registration started very soon).

They've stated on Twitter that the vip Welker ticket is separate to the golden ticket
    Incoming:
    Preordered:
    Recent Buys:

load of Bartrim manure
    Welcome to Grantmart!:

I am unable to go

So jelly.

They've stated on Twitter that the vip Welker ticket is separate to the golden ticket
    Sheesh... it's gonna be expensive this year then.
    The Primus pack should be about $430 this year (*), plus the $300 Golden Ticket, plus a VIP ticket that is likely to be about $200.

Then convert that estimated $930 into AU$, and we could be looking at a record breaking AU$1200-1300 just to get the full experience (if you are spending thousands to go all the way there, you don't want to miss half of it).

*The prices for the FunPub years...
    $265 (2005)
    $249 (2006)
    $279 (2007)
    $285 (2008)
    $295 (2009)
    $305 (2010)
    $315 (2011)
    $340 (2012)
    $365 (2013)
    $395 (2014)

The coincidental timing of Frank Welker's appearance at BotCon just a year after I was emailing his agent about the idea for last year (suggesting a surprise quick visit to see what it would be like as a guest), has me wondering if I got the ball rolling.
    I'm certainly not claiming any credit, but it is fun to dream.
    (BotCon 2014 was on June 19-22, so this was a last-minute idea last year, linked to a query to get him to Australia... which they never actually answered.)

-------------------------

To: (Frank Welker's Agent)
    Date: June 10 2014 2:49 PM
    Subject: Frank Welker query

Hi there,

I administrate the largest Australian Toy collector community (Ozformers), and since many of our members attend various toy & anime conventions here, one Voice Actor that seems to be a “holy grail” to Transformers fans (here in Australia and America), is Frank Welker.

For me to encourage one of the Australian convention organisers to look at Mr Welker as a potential guests, does he do conventions, and if so, what would be required for his involvement?

Also, I’ve heard that the organisers of the Annual Transformers convention (BotCon, in America) have tried to secure his attendance in the past, but haven’t been successful yet, due to his busy schedule, and that he is said to be a fairly private person.
    If both of those are true, this year it is in Pasadena (if he is currently in LA), and the Convention includes an exclusive, limited dinner (of about 60 people) with the main Voice Actor guests this year, on Saturday 21st of June.
    I’m NOT associated with the Convention organisers, and do NOT speak for them in any way... I’m just a regular attendee that flies to America every year from Australia for the last 14 years, to see and hear the people who brought many of the famous and favourite child-hood cartoon characters to life.... and Mr Welker is one of the few from the 1980s Transformers cartoon (and other cartoons) that I have yet to have the pleasure of meeting.
    Due to the convenient location and small private dinner, I’d be willing to pay an appearance fee (if it isn’t anything excessive for just 2 hours of his time) to have him show up for the dinner, just for the benefit of the other attendees, and for the reputation of the BotCon convention... to have the most elusive Transformers Voice Actor under its belt. (and maybe this short function could also be utilised by Mr Welker, to sample a Transformers convention without being committed to a whole weekend and thousands of people... to get a feel for the dedicated fans out there that would love to hear more from him, if he ever decided to come to a future BotCon as a starring Guest).
    I hope you can at least ask him if this is something he’d be interested in doing, but if all that seems rather impractical, and too last-minute (I was told that he’s usually so busy that “last minute” is the only way the Organisers would be able to secure him), I’ll just stick with info on the requirements of an Australian Convention appearance, and hope that I can convince one of the Convention companies down here to go after him instead.

Thankyou for your time.

-griffin.

Date: June 13 2014 3:16 AM

Hello Griffin,

Mr. Welker will not be in town during the Pasadena convention unfortunately. I will forward your email on to him however, in case there are any changes.

Best regards,

Cathey

Date: June 17 2014 1:36 AM

Dear Griffin,

I spoke to Frank he wanted me to express to you his surprise and delight in your interest in him and all things "Bot." He will be out of town but wanted me to thank you for thinking of him. He still has not participated in any "cons" but has not totally ruled anything out so you can always check with us in the future.

Good luck and enjoy your event.

Sincerely,

Cathey

To: (Frank Welker's Agent)
    Date: June 19 2014 22:54:56 +0800

Hi Cathey,

Thankyou SO much for talking to Frank about my request. I'm amazed that he was surprised at the interest in him from our fandom, as fans have been hoping to see him at the the annual BotCon convention ever since it started 20 years ago in 1994. He should be reassured that he will be treated like a rock star, and of course with great respect and admiration... not just for Transformers, but for his vast, long career and many many roles on TV and Movies.
    If he is keen to try the BotCon experience in a future year, or to just sample it like in my suggestion (to just attend the short semi-formal, private Guest-Attendee function), the best people to speak to for advance warning on when and where it will be each year, are the Convention organizers - Brian & Pete...
    "Brian Savage" <brian@funpubinc.com>
    "Pete Sinclair" <pete@funpubinc.com>
    http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2014/

(sorry for taking a little while to get back to you - I've been in Pasadena since Monday, and it has been non-stop tourist things... and limited access to my email server)

Thanks again, it has made my week to hear that there is hope for a future appearance of Frank Welker at the Annual Official Transformers Convention... and I think/hope he would like it too.

-griffin.

Well, i've just done my visa waiver thinghy, my hotel for LA is booked, just got to sort out Chicago & wait for those nufties at TFCC to open registration & i'm all set!

I'm starting to get a little excited about all this!
    Incoming:
    Preordered:
    Recent Buys:

load of Bartrim manure
    Welcome to Grantmart!: