Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891424 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Ironhide

When compared to the other MP's we have he doesn't look as striking as the previous car MP's. I believe he suffers from similar problems that Magnus and Star Saber have as their anime models are very plain to begin with. Apart from Ironhide's chest the rest of his body is quite bland and it looks a little off to have such an intricate and realistic van front as a chest and the rest to be blocky and lacking details.

There is no denying however that this MP is very anime accurate hip panels aside but when the anime model itself isn't awe inspiring it's effect transfers to the MP. Also on closer examination I believe the sled seems to be an added accessory and not a required part of his transformation which is a better alternative in my opinion. You can see the sled on his accessories list and it doesn't look like it forms a van roof. How the rest of the van folds up and tucks up on his back remains to be seen.

All things considered this is a much better figure compared to his original G1 toy which is an abomination that barely resembles his character. Personally I will be adding him to my collection as his different height will add some diversity to my current MP's but Wheeljack is still the best car MP made to date.

The crotch is too large and hip flaps really bother me.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Just put up the Preorders, already!

An intriguing approach with Ironhide; he and Ratchet mark Hironori Kobayashi's 1st lone MP efforts in quite a while and it'll be interesting to see where the design/engineering divergences show up.

I'm also curious to see if TakTom have sought a license from Nissan for their Alt mode too?

BBTS pre order email in 3 , 2, 1 . lol

The TFW2005 article has been updated with a YouTube video of Takara's presentation. Ironhide starts at 5:46.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Isn't the battle platform a separate piece instead of part of the van transformed? It's listed as an accessory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevac View Post
    Also on closer examination I believe the sled seems to be an added accessory and not a required part of his transformation which is a better alternative in my opinion. You can see the sled on his accessories list and it doesn't look like it forms a van roof. How the rest of the van folds up and tucks up on his back remains to be seen.
    Good point. If that's the case, it makes the engineering all the more impressive, since there are barely any visible van parts aside from the torso and hip plates.

All things considered this is a much better figure compared to his original G1 toy which is an abomination that barely resembles his character.
    Blame Marvel/Sunbow for making a character model that has barely any similarity to the original toy But then, that's the point of the Masterpiece series, isn't it? Contemporary engineering on classic toys for greater screen-accuracy?

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

So expecting 8,000jpy for rrp?

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Isn't the battle platform a separate piece instead of part of the van transformed? It's listed as an accessory.
    It is like there are heaps of accessories so they decided why not include an accessory holder, then they realized oh it looks like a battle platform, lets do that.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    So expecting 8,000jpy for rrp?
    This may go as much as 12,000 yen IMO, based on that vans are more expensive than cars

From the accessory lay out you can tell the red piece is a seperate piece, with the van fully transforms to the robit That red piece is just a weapon holder moulded to look like the g1 trailer thing. Similar to those stands that come with the Chogokin figures

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Looks great

COOL....... Just wish the sled thing had the 3 track wheels like the G1 toy.

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!