Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: MP Megatron 2.0 prototype leak?

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I wonder who leaked this because he is obviously a TT rep

Next up orange cap lol

Man I really want a good MP Megatron to go with my MP10 Optimus, but I also don't want to go through all the trouble and money of getting a permit in Victoria.

I wouldn't bother with a permit. Presumably it will be packed in robot mode, and may/may not have a barrel plug. Customs should have no reason to sieze it if its clearly a toy. Yes I know a pallette of MP05's got siezed. But it had a big photo of a Walther on the box and the idiot bringing it in clearly didn't do the paperwork.

I serously doubt many Australian owners of Mp05 (like me), G1 Megatron (me also) or any of the 3p megs actually have a replica firearms license. Certainly the law in Vic states that if its clearly a toy then no license is needed. Just keep it in 'bot mode and you should be fine. An xray of a boxed Megs in bot mode is not going to raise any flags.

Ideally buy it from an Aus supplier. That way customs doesn't factor in from your point of view.
    "Once you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will soon follow."

Please check my toy blog: www.tonkstoys.com

So wait, is this confirmed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    There was another rumor going around a few months ago that MP Galvatron was being designed but became unworkable.
    That's weird given Takaratomy were willing to compromise on MP Hotrod, so why not Galvatron, third parties have proven it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    There was an interview with Hatsui ages ago where he said he had done the design work for all of the '84 bots. That would just be sketches though. It also mentioned that there were around ten designs for Condor/Laserbeak.

There was another rumor going around a few months ago that MP Galvatron was being designed but became unworkable.
    Would love to see some of these leftover designs, including why they weren't chosen or couldn't be realised.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevron Action Flash View Post
    I wouldn't bother with a permit. Presumably it will be packed in robot mode, and may/may not have a barrel plug. Customs should have no reason to sieze it if its clearly a toy. Yes I know a pallette of MP05's got siezed. But it had a big photo of a Walther on the box and the idiot bringing it in clearly didn't do the paperwork.
    That is not true.

First, it was individual toys that were being seized, as people on here were noting it at the time of MP5's release.
    There may or may not have been a bulk lot seized as well, but no one in Australia would have imported a pallet of them... or even more than half a dozen at once, as we didn't have any (significant) online toy stores in Australia back then. Bulk imports were just done by fans on behalf of other fans as group orders.

Secondly, Customs are not opening up anything to see the image of the alt-mode on the box. They are x-raying random packages in the mail and recognising the robot mode on the monitor. I know this because my MP-5G was seized at the end of 2014, and when I went to collect it (with the Federal import form), the outer packaging was untouched.

That experience prompted me to research the process for all states of Australia and post up this information topic.... building on from an earlier project that was created by a veteran lawyer, who would know a lot more about the law than you or me.

Thirdly, it is not a good idea to publicly recommend breaking Federal and State laws, as you could be prosecuted by both State Police and Federal police for soliciting (serious) firearm offences.
    Even if no one here had the permits, it is still our requirement to recommend (not force) getting them IF you want to avoid future issues or prosecution if found to be owning one in a state that requires a permit.
    Telling people to not follow the law is irresponsible, because if they were to get into trouble, would you step in to take the blame and the prison sentence on their behalf?

I serously doubt many Australian owners of Mp05 (like me), G1 Megatron (me also) or any of the 3p megs actually have a replica firearms license. Certainly the law in Vic states that if its clearly a toy then no license is needed. Just keep it in 'bot mode and you should be fine. An xray of a boxed Megs in bot mode is not going to raise any flags.
    Criminal codes do specifically include toys in their descriptions of replica weapons. Speculating that they don't will only lead to confusion for others who might believe what you are saying.
    And as noted above, Megatron in Bot Mode is not going to stop them from seeing it. Most might get through, but that's only because they only x-ray scan a small percentage of parcels entering the country.... not because they don't see a gun-mode Megatron.

Ideally buy it from an Aus supplier. That way customs doesn't factor in from your point of view.
    Yes, that is the best course of action to eliminate your requirement to meet the needs of one of the two layers of gun-control in Australia... but if you are in a state that requires a permit, it is still up to the buyer to decide for themselves if they want to get one. They shouldn't be discouraged from getting one, if their state requires one.
    Last edited by griffin; 11th September 2016 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    Would love to see some of these leftover designs, including why they weren't chosen or couldn't be realised.
    That'd make a nice coffee table book! haha

There are plenty of law-abiding collectors who hold permits (obviously except for SA & WA residents). I'm one of them. Here's what my permit looks like...

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    That is not true.

First, it was individual toys that were being seized, as people on here were noting it at the time of MP5's release.
    There may or may not have been a bulk lot seized as well, but no one in Australia would have imported a pallet of them... or even more than half a dozen at once, as we didn't have any (significant) online toy stores in Australia back then. Bulk imports were just done by fans on behalf of other fans as group orders.

Secondly, Customs are not opening up anything to see the image of the alt-mode on the box. They are x-raying random packages in the mail and recognising the robot mode on the monitor. I know this because my MP-5G was seized at the end of 2014, and when I went to collect it (with the Federal import form), the outer packaging was untouched.

That experience prompted me to research the process for all states of Australia and post up this information topic.... building on from an earlier project that was created by a veteran lawyer, who would know a lot more about the law than you or me.

Thirdly, it is not a good idea to publicly recommend breaking Federal and State laws, as you could be prosecuted by both State Police and Federal police for soliciting (serious) firearm offences.
    Even if no one here had the permits, it is still our requirement to recommend (not force) getting them IF you want to avoid future issues or prosecution if found to be owning one in a state that requires a permit.
    Telling people to not follow the law is irresponsible, because if they were to get into trouble, would you step in to take the blame and the prison sentence on their behalf?

Criminal codes do specifically include toys in their descriptions of replica weapons. Speculating that they don't will only lead to confusion for others who might believe what you are saying.
    And as noted above, Megatron in Bot Mode is not going to stop them from seeing it. Most might get through, but that's only because they only x-ray scan a small percentage of parcels entering the country.... not because they don't see a gun-mode Megatron.

Yes, that is the best course of action to eliminate your requirement to meet the needs of one of the two layers of gun-control in Australia... but if you are in a state that requires a permit, it is still up to the buyer to decide for themselves if they want to get one. They shouldn't be discouraged from getting one, if their state requires one.
    Apologies, my intent is not to persude individuals one way or another. I was just voicing an opinion. Ideally, yes, people should follow the legal procedure and adhere to the law, albeit a ridiculous application of the law in this instance. I'll certainly look into the requirements for obtaining a license as I'd like to nab a 2.0 Megs hassle free. Although technically I've been breaking the law since 85 when I first got Megatron. And then I became a recidivist when I scored MP 05.
    "Once you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will soon follow."

Please check my toy blog: www.tonkstoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chevron Action Flash View Post
    Apologies, my intent is not to persude individuals one way or another. I was just voicing an opinion. Ideally, yes, people should follow the legal procedure and adhere to the law, albeit a ridiculous application of the law in this instance. I'll certainly look into the requirements for obtaining a license as I'd like to nab a 2.0 Megs hassle free. Although technically I've been breaking the law since 85 when I first got Megatron. And then I became a recidivist when I scored MP 05.
    I don't know the VIC requirements but it is really not that hard in NSW and it's renewed, free of charge, every 5 years. Honestly it seems that a lot of people don't obtain it due to being lazy or ignorant.

FYI I am not casting either aspersion on you, just voicing an observation. Whilst I'm not sure about G1 megs, they have specifically stated you need one for MP5 so I wouldnt expect 2.0 megs to be any different. Either way I have the permit so no issue for me.

Interestingly, picked up MP5G recently and wasn't caught by customs.